GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by szmigiel »

Finally after a decade I sat down and rewatched the film from start to finish and timed out Zilla's screen time in the picture. I still hated it, I found myself yelling at the screen many times, then muttering to myself.

If anyone is interested the screen time for Zilla was 12:58/9%, and the Baby Zilla's was 4:47/3%
That puts it right in the middle of the pack at 16th out of 31 films for minutes, and 29th for Precent of the film with only Godzilla (2014) 8% and "Invasion of the Astro Monster" 6% coming in lower. An interesting side note Zilla got a huge boost in time when he was eating the cab because some of him was in shot for that entire sequence.

It is also hard to calculate his 1st appearance in the film. They teased him attack the Japanese fishing boat at 5:22, then when he emerges and comes ashore in New York at 25:31 you still do not get a good look at him. It isn't till 45:52 during the fish plan that you get a good look at him. Baby Zilla's hatch at the 1:32:19 mark.

Things I like
  • Jean Reno, I liked him, even his crew was a nice departure from all the dipships in the rest of the film. To bad like most bad movies the well trained people with the guns die quickly, while the bumbling idiots some how make it through worse situations okay.
Things that annoyed me
  • 95% of the outdoor shots it is raining. Only a few shots as they travel to sites Zilla already left is it sunny. If Zilla is around it is raining. Even the when getting Nick in Russia it is pouring rain.
    Everyone who isn't a main character is pretty much an idiot.
    Helicopter pilots unable to climb above the buildings to spot Zilla, sure they need to fly low to attack, but they can fly up when being cased or they lose sight of him.
    Zilla size changing constantly, smaller underground then above. Hell he was bigger then the space Madison Square Garden took up, but somehow laid over 200 eggs inside without anyone noticing.
    Baby Zilla's all waiting inside Madison Square Garden to blow up.
    Complete lack of understanding of what it would be if a giant creature was borrowing beneath Manhattan, all the electrical and infrastructure is below the surface, lights, sewer, subways, nothing would be working.
    Jurassic Park in 1993 is the high water mark in effects blending CGI and practical effects almost seamlessly. 5 years later and nothing in this film even comes close to reaching that mark, at best it gets a passable in a few shots, and awful in many others.
    I have to stop cause I could go on and on.
Last edited by szmigiel on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I find myself being a lot kinder to this movie as I grow older. For one thing, it was my very first introduction to Godzilla so I have that much to thank it for. I must have watched the VHS dozens of times when I was very young. Then I started renting the three Goji films my blockbuster had, got on the internet, and learned there was this whole other world out there, and immediately decided GINO was crap. Today, I can accept it what it is. I mean, personally I have little respect for Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin as filmmakers because they pretty much make the same movie with the same characters over, and over, and over. But that doesn't mean the movie isn't fun, or have some cool moments. The opening scene and the score in particular are fantastic. It's been said a million times, but I'll say it again - IF EVERYTHING WAS THE SAME, BUT THE MONSTER JUST WASN'T CALLED GODZILLA, THIS WOULD BE BOTH A REALLY LIKEABLE FILM, AND MAYBE EVEN A CULT CLASSIC. It would just be this goofy throwback to 50s b-movies, and there's nothing wrong with that (Tremors, for instance).
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:
Cookson wrote:Anyone starting to find this film much more forgivable now that we'll have a different origin Anime Godzilla film and Shin Godzilla (another new origin film). If you look at it that way, it's now all that terrible.
The existence of those other movies doesn't improve the quality of the writing or direction of an existing one. It is still as badly told a story now as it was in 1998.
i agree with this statement, none of the movies that have come out improve or make the film any better.

However, a lot of people, independent of the films quality, disliked the film for being a very unfaithful adaptation of Godzilla. This plus it being a MEDIOCRE (my opinion) film has turned it into the most hated film in the franchise.

The part where I said it was mediocre is simply because I think it's a mediocre film. However, the fandom uses it as a piñata and routinely has to bash it, which is fine, but it's turned it from being a dumb movie that's worth at least one viewing for laughs into some abomination that if you like in any regard you're horrible.

When people say the newer films improve it, I gather that the new films improve their feelings on it because they don't see it as something that killed the franchise or perception of Godzilla in America.

To be honest 95% of the time I forget this film exists, and I'm kinda glad the design/tone is so different because if it was closer it would be harder.

I agree about liking Jean reno, and if they didn't make Godzilla look weak I think the submarine scene would've been better.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

(Part 1)

As you can probably tell by my icon, I'm a pretty big fan of the TriStar Godzilla for his own merits as a separate incarnation of Godzilla; Not the one we all know and love, granted, but a cool take in my opinion (hell, I still like the scenes his Toho version got in Final Wars despite them being obvious jabs!)

For starters, this big guy is sneaky and cunning; A bit cowardly, sure, but he would outmaneuver and lead his pursuers through the maze like blocks of the concrete jungle before doubling back and decimating them. That skin color was beautifully made and did bear SOME resemblance to Marine Iguanas, at least in a loose sense of the ruddy and blackish blue tones; makes good camoflauge too!

Second, he's a lot stronger and tougher than he appears; Granted he's no powerhouse, but he does have a lot more muscle than he's given credit for. The bastard dredged up a freighter and gutted its hull like it was tearing through wax-paper and it weighed about as much as cardboard. Before that he dragged down three big ass fishing trolleys going at top speed like they were just over-glorified rubber duckies. Several scenes show him casually smash through buildings bigger than he was. Not to mention he had the endurance and stamina to rip through asphalt and steel on a regular basis while digging. Even those big, shark-like fins are dangerous (in one scene they cut through the hull of one of the USS Anchorages)

In terms of durability, he is kinda lackluster and no-where near Goji standards, but he's not so 'bony and weak' as people claim; High caliber fire and tank rounds are completely harmless, and he didn't show any real damage from being blasted by two huge-ass torpedoes (given where they hit him we knew even he didn't dig his way out of range in time.) And it took twelve Tomahawk missiles (very powerful air-ground ones, mind you) blasting into his throat and chest to bring him down after he gave birth, tanked two torpedoes and everything else the city had to throw at him; even then the bastard took a while to bleed to death in the cold.

Next, we've got his Power Breath which can be summed up as a gale-force hurricane of flammable gas that is POSSIBLY radioactive (I mean, he was born from the fallout of a nuclear blast) that when ignited turns into a draconian jet of fucking flames that swallow up armored vehicles and burn them to a crisp.

Finally, his speed; Its a Godzilla that can outrun Apache Helicopters, dodge rockets like a Kaiju version of Neo from The Matrix and leap over buildings like a parkour master. Need I say more on how badass a giant lizard doing that is?

In the end, he's not Gojira/The Original Japanese Godzilla, but he never was meant to be; Toho and Sony had good communication about the design, they knew what they were getting, and I honestly kind of like seeing a more flawed, weaker Godzilla every now and again to balance the new arms race of who can make the biggest, baddest and strongest Godzilla. So as much as I like Toho's Godzilla(s) and Legendary's Monsterverse, I'll always hold a special place in my heart for TriStar's version, right next to many other famouse/infamous American Kaiju~

(Part 2)

As for the characters; Yes, they are mostly walking stereotypes that can be very unlikable at times, but I found some scenes of them kind of charming and a few lines got a genuine chuckle out of me. Audrey was a huge bitch at times, but she got a little nicer after she nearly got devoured by TriStar Godzilla's kids at least. Jean Reno's and Hank Azaria's characters were the stars of the show, putting in their best performances whenever they were onscreen, followed by Colonel Hick's character and then Broderick's poor scientist simply being way over his head but trying his best to do his job.

The tone of the movie is overly-serious to the point where its narmy and lovably dumb; It's like the gritty Heisei era had a baby with Showa to make the corny lines and performances that actually make it a surprisingly okay contrast in my eyes. We've got scenes like Godzilla ripping apart a building, swiping Helicopters out of the sky or flat out chomping them to bits after luring them into a trap followed by scenes of exasperation from the parody Mayor Ebert character who seems to be aware and lampshading how the Military is dicking around ("What the HELL is the matter with you people?! YOU'VE CAUSED MORE DAMAGE THAN THAT GOD DAMN THING DID!")

The CGI was a bit spotty at times, with SonyZilla's size and even color varying depending on the lighting, time of day, and angle. Still, none of it was too atrocious in my eyes and it flowed pretty decently; Some scenes still manage to look pretty okay to good today, and Tatopoulos' sleek creature design made great Practical effects when they were used.

The Baby-Zillas I thought were kind of cute and cool despite being HEAVILY influenced by the JP Raptors, and could be explained by (as someone else on this site once said) saying Tristar Godzilla was a masculine hermaphrodite that occurred because of temperature change in the nest as he developed in the egg; Warmer temps. make male lizards or snakes in the wild, while the opposite makes females. Perhaps the fallout made a mini 'nuclear winter' and addled some of the biological chemistry of the embryo during to development to make mostly male parts and a male chromosome (which it was initially) but adding in rudimentary female parts that could have been fertilized before becoming vestigial/nonfunctioning after use (no need expending energy keeping something working that theoretically should only be used once given the sheer clutch size and the independent physiology of the newborns).

Overall, the plot can be considered a Hollywood Block-Buster Kaiju Flick-it's meant to be a big, loud and flashy roller coaster that you enjoy with a bit of low-bro, Saturday Morning Cartoon level of thinking with popcorn in front of, get a laugh at how narmy it is and enjoy the characters. The story is minimal, yes, but it's there despite how jumbled it is with the cliches walking about (and as far as cliched characters go, there are worse ones out there that put even Nick and Audrey to shame) acting hammy and stupid as a giant, radioactive reptile rips apart the city to survive.

It does lack the depth and meaning the original Gojira had, which is pretty shitty of it to crap on, but it does serve as a good American fusion of Showa's (periodic) stupidity and the dark, edgy Heisei world that has a moral to it all the same; Don't fuck with nature, and clean up after your messes(?).

All in all, it's no sappy Minilla flick with a Cat-Toad Ogre, no Scrappy Kaiju/Godzuki ruining an otherwise okay Hanna Barbera Cartoon, or a convoluted time travel mess that really didn't need to happen; Just a big pile of fish that consists of some flounders but also some cod in my eyes...
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:14 am, edited 6 times in total.

G1G4N_27
Yojimbo

Re: The American Godzilla...

Post by G1G4N_27 »

Red-Death Gigan wrote:Change the movie's name to just "Zilla" and we're golden.
Or you could change the name all together. Godzilla '98 is a good movie monster by itself (except for the wanna-be Jurassic Park scene), but Zilla is an entirely different monster than the '98 Godzilla.
G1G4N_27
ImageImageImage

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be. I never even saw it brought up as a criticism until his review. There's so much more that deserves criticism in the movie than that line.
Its ephemere purpose is even more obvious when you read the script:

A MOUNTAIN OF FISH have been piled into the center of
Flat Iron Square.

NICK
That's a lot of fish.

A master of the obvious. Sergeant O'Neal shoots him a
glare and moves over to the men.

we should've had more of a "wtf u braintard" glare from doug savant. A lil too subtle in the film
Last edited by Omegamorph on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Even now i still don't like this film and probably never will, it doesn't have any value that "Toho", or anyone else is missing, in my opinion it's still a piece of garbage from the late 90s.
As I've stated once before, i would be glad if Zilla never appeared in any form of media ever again, I see no point in bringing it back, we all know it won't ever be an equal to the actual Godzilla, and I don't think it should be.
I would be far more interested in Gabara or Godzooky (or Varan) returning and being redesigned/modernized than see Zilla yet again.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I'm going to say two nice things about this movie.

1. The opening sequence is masterful. I think I like it even better than the very similar one from LPG. I really love the way they make the bomb seem just as much a giant monster as the monster itself. Very respectful to the source material (although probably by accident), and it would be so awesome to see in an actual Godzilla movie. Also, if the rest of the film evoked that tone, it might have been more compelling (but still not a Godzilla film without getting the character right)

2. The way they derive Godzilla's name, with Kent Brockman literally mishearing 'Gojira', is hilarious, and I would gladly see it used again in another American adaption.

Also, Sergeant O'Neil rocks, that guy's just doing his job and not bothering anybody. #teamo'neil
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

KaijuCanuck wrote:although probably by accident
Completely intentional

from the 1998 book companion

Emmerich: “we wanted to stay true to the essence of why Godzilla was created in the first place, which had to do with a lot of people’s fears of what was going on with weapons and radiation. You have to remember how the first Godzilla was created. The original was made in Japan shortly after World War II, and the devastation caused by the two nuclear bombs was obviously in the minds of the Japanese people. So, we kept that theme going. We really wanted to honor where it came from and yet start anew.”
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I'm going to say two nice things about this movie.

1. The opening sequence is masterful. I think I like it even better than the very similar one from LPG. I really love the way they make the bomb seem just as much a giant monster as the monster itself. Very respectful to the source material (although probably by accident), and it would be so awesome to see in an actual Godzilla movie. Also, if the rest of the film evoked that tone, it might have been more compelling (but still not a Godzilla film without getting the character right)
"Masterful" might be a bit of an overstatement, but definitely effective, and, yeah, the LPG sequence by contrast is perhaps a little too busy and audience-winking.
2. The way they derive Godzilla's name, with Kent Brockman literally mishearing 'Gojira', is hilarious, and I would gladly see it used again in another American adaption.
The problem for me is that it's spoiled by Audrey shouting the "correct" pronunciation but getting it so glaringly wrong herself.
Also, Sergeant O'Neil rocks, that guy's just doing his job and not bothering anybody. #teamo'neil
Never understood what people see in this character. You could basically split his lines up among a dozen bit players and it wouldn't make any difference to the narrative that I can see.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
Never understood what people see in this character. You could basically split his lines up among a dozen bit players and it wouldn't make any difference to the narrative that I can see.
I mean, yeah. But in a movie full of dumb, cartoony characters who do dumb, cartoony things, he comes across seeming the only one you can even a little bit relate to. Just a normal dude.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I mean, yeah. But in a movie full of dumb, cartoony characters who do dumb, cartoony things, he comes across seeming the only one you can even a little bit relate to. Just a normal dude.
I guess I never really perceived him as a character at all. There's nothing about him I can relate to, because there's nothing about him.

To whatever degree I relate to anyone in that movie (limited), it's probably Nick.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I don't agree with the argument that "its a good monster movie! Just pretend it's not Godzilla. It's still a bad movie regardless.
Last edited by Godzillian on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:I don't agree with the argument that "its a good monster movie! Just pretend it's not Godzilla. It's still a bad movie regardless.
Agreed 100%. It's got a really solid set-up, but once the plot gets into motion, it quickly becomes evident that the filmmakers really had story to tell at all. There's no sense of narrative momentum, because, once the monster appears, the narrative has nowhere to go; it just kind of spins its wheels until the appropriate epic runtime has been reached and the monster can be unceremoniously dismissed.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Godzillian wrote:I don't agree with the argument that "its a good monster movie! Just pretend it's not Godzilla. It's still a bad movie regardless.
I just see it more as a cheesy multi-million dollar b movie I guess. There is some genuine fun to be had if you just shut your brain off. I can enjoy it on that level. I don't really think it's a 'good' movie.

Added in 8 hours 9 minutes 11 seconds:
You know, I'll say something else good about this movie. I think it significantly increased the size of the Godzilla fan base. I feel like so many fans of my generation found the Godzilla series through this movie. I watched that VHS tape over and over and over, and it made me want to rent anything else Godzilla at the video store, and once I got on the internet I suddenly found there was this whole word of 'kaiju' stuff out there. I think there were a lot of kids like me.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

My dad has always been an adamant defender of this movie as it’s always been a guilty pleasure of his.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

It's turning 20 this year, y'all. Damn does that make me feel old. I remember seeing all the ads and the incredible merchandising for the film. Theeeeen the disappointment haha. Anyone planning on revisiting this for it's 20th anniversary?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

THANK YOU! Even if it wasn't called Godzilla, it still would've sucked, I've been saying this for ages, though it simply would've just been another dumb Roland Emmerich film instead of the abomination and slap in the face it is.

Watch Nostalgia Critic's review of GINO 98 where he exposes this POS film scene-by-scene as the dumpster fire it really is, yes, even as a standalone monster movie:

KaijuCanuck wrote:I just see it more as a cheesy multi-million dollar b movie I guess. There is some genuine fun to be had if you just shut your brain off. I can enjoy it on that level. I don't really think it's a 'good' movie.
Even in that context, it was trash. The action scenes really weren't all that amusing, he just constantly runs while the dumb military constantly misses all 300 feet of him, somehow, someway.
Last edited by KManX89 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

It's a good fun dumb blockbuster. If it wasn't called "Godzilla" I'd apretiate it much more.
But at least the animated series was cool.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:It's turning 20 this year, y'all. Damn does that make me feel old. I remember seeing all the ads and the incredible merchandising for the film. Theeeeen the disappointment haha. Anyone planning on revisiting this for it's 20th anniversary?
Honestly, why not? Maybe on a free afternoon I will.... and then watch Monster Planet again to clean my mind. Man..... time really does fly by.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos