Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: The List of Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

Post by TheSecondComing »

UltramanGoji wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:This topic is a very good idea. I'm also interested in older formats, be it VHS, laserdisc, Beta, Super 8, etc.
I don't think I'll be covering that as it's far too grand a scope for me to tackle.

Understandable. I'm willing to help based on my collection/what I know as well. Good info to gather for public record + informational purposes.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I think it’s worth it if the show is only available on that format...like the aforementioned Amazing Colossal Man.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Which reminds me, I have an old VHS copy of Attack of the Super Monsters. Perhaps the best giant monster of all time! Should really be on this list...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote:Which reminds me, I have an old VHS copy of Attack of the Super Monsters. Perhaps the best giant monster of all time! Should really be on this list...
It uh, is on the list.
Mr. Yellow wrote:Here's another couple lists to go from...

http://www.theinfolist.com/php/SummaryG ... 20monsters

http://kaiju.wikidot.com/glossary
I think that first one is a direct copy/paste of the Wikipedia list.

I’ve been tackling most of the Sci-Fi original movies, gonna try to finish that soon and then start looking into films without DVD/BR releases and maybe some more public domain films.

Added in 9 hours 27 minutes 17 seconds:
Recent information has come to light that Mill Creek’s Gamera Blu-Rays and the Legacy Collection DVD are slowly phasing into OOP status.

If you’ve been on the fence about picking these up, now would be a great time to grab them while they’re still cheap.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Man, these types of releases go OOP so incredibly fast it seems. Maybe not.

Added in 21 hours 8 minutes :
Here is a handy resource site for Kaiju and Tokusatsu releases. The pain is you have to keep checking the site as there's no Twitter or anything to follow.

http://kaijuhometheatre.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kore321
Yojimbo

Post by Kore321 »

Cool list.
Other movies not on the list Terrordactyl 2016 and Grabbers.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Got a few updates for you. The Black Scorpion and The Valley of Gwangi are both on Warner Archive now (and the first one was released in 1957, not 1958), the Warner Archive version of The Last Dinosaur is the complete and unedited one, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad single-disc DVD is OOP, you forgot The People that Time Forgot (which is, of course, OOP) and I think you also forgot Supergator (2007), which I think was on DVD but is now OOP.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote:Got a few updates for you. The Black Scorpion and The Valley of Gwangi are both on Warner Archive now (and the first one was released in 1957, not 1958), the Warner Archive version of The Last Dinosaur is the complete and unedited one, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad single-disc DVD is OOP, you forgot The People that Time Forgot (which is, of course, OOP) and I think you also forgot Supergator (2007), which I think was on DVD but is now OOP.
Updated with Black Scorpion and Last Dinosaur. Gwangi was already on there. Sinbad is not out of print, it's still available from Amazon, which I mentioned in the first post is what this list is based off of. Added People that Time Forgot (which isn't OOP on Blu-Ray), and Supergator was never released on R1 DVD or Blu-Ray.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

in the UK, a company called indicator/Powerhouse films are putting out really nice Blu-ray box sets of Ray Harryhausen films owned by Sony. so far there are three sets, the first being all the Sinbad movies ( I own that one and it's beautifully) the second one has IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA, 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH and THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER. the third has MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS and FIRST MEN IN THE MOON.

There's a Blu-ray of MIGHTY PEKING MAN here as well, from 88 films and they are putting SUPER INFRAMAN out on Blu-ray in April.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, it grinds me about all these Blu-ray released elsewhere. King Kong '76 got a Blu-ray release in Australia and France but not the US. I actually really like that film. I'm delusional enough to think that King Kong Lives will get the blu treatment. I am extremely fortunate to have found a cheap DVD copy it last summer.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Got a few updates for you. The Black Scorpion and The Valley of Gwangi are both on Warner Archive now (and the first one was released in 1957, not 1958), the Warner Archive version of The Last Dinosaur is the complete and unedited one, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad single-disc DVD is OOP, you forgot The People that Time Forgot (which is, of course, OOP) and I think you also forgot Supergator (2007), which I think was on DVD but is now OOP.
Updated with Black Scorpion and Last Dinosaur. Gwangi was already on there. Sinbad is not out of print, it's still available from Amazon, which I mentioned in the first post is what this list is based off of. Added People that Time Forgot (which isn't OOP on Blu-Ray), and Supergator was never released on R1 DVD or Blu-Ray.
I saw DVD covers for Supergator on both its Wikipedia and IMDb articles and they were two different ones. Are these possibly foreign releases of the film?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

According to blu-ray.com, on March 20 Black Scorpian will be going to Blu-ray as well!

Could I note that Pacific Rim, Godzilla, and KSI are also in the 3D Blu-ray format with PR and KSI additionally having the 4K Blu-ray format?
Mr. Yellow wrote:Yeah, it grinds me about all these Blu-ray released elsewhere. King Kong '76 got a Blu-ray release in Australia and France but not the US. I actually really like that film. I'm delusional enough to think that King Kong Lives will get the blu treatment. I am extremely fortunate to have found a cheap DVD copy it last summer.
Given KSI, I'm surprised that 76 Kong and KKL didn't go to Blu.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yay! I’m glad I held off on the OOP Black Scorpion. That movie deserves a nice Blu-ray release.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll definately be getting The Black Scorpion. It's a favorite 50s flick.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Demeking and Monsters: Dark Continent could be added to the list.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Updated to include Demeking (even though it's not much of a monster movie), Monsters: Dark Continent, and the Black Scorpion Blu-Ray. Also added KSI and Pacific Rim's UHD versions. 3D Blu-Ray I don't really consider to be very distinct from it's normal counterpart.
mikelcho wrote:I saw DVD covers for Supergator on both its Wikipedia and IMDb articles and they were two different ones. Are these possibly foreign releases of the film?
I don't know, but even if they are they wouldn't be eligible for the list as it's US-only.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Here in the UK, HMV is doing a collection of films they're calling the premium collection. It's Blu-ray/DVD combo packs of films from Warner Bros, Paramount, and Sony. They've released King Kong(1933), Them, Jason and the Argonauts, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, The Valley of Gwangi and Clash of the Titans. Before anyone ask they are full pressed discs. I have a few movies from and the packeting is really nice, this what your getting:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Those are spectacular. Are they Region A or B?

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Those are spectacular. Are they Region A or B?
Region B, I hope is that ok?