Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
UltramanGoji

Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

Post by UltramanGoji »

Inspired by a conversation in the Toho Media forum, I decided to take it upon myself to start a thread based on categorizing which giant monster movies have releases on DVD and/or Blu-Ray.

The Godzilla series will be excluded from this list as there's already a topic in the Toho Media forum that covers this.

Since I live in the United States, this list will primarily be Region 1 only. If you know any films that should be included here, please reply and I'll add it to the list below.

Availability is based on Amazon availability and should not be indicative of the current print status of any of these releases.

The plain text link has been removed in order to be replaced with a much more manageable Google Sheets document linked below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Re: The List of Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

Post by Mr. Yellow »

This is exactly what we needed, awesome! Kong 76 was just recently released again in DVD.

Also, X From Outer Space and King Kong 76 had sequels. G8 Summit and King Kong Lives.

I’ll be using this guide, so I will help contribute as well. :)
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote:This is exactly what we needed, awesome! Kong 76 was just recently released again in DVD.

Also, X From Outer Space and King Kong 76 had sequels. G8 Summit and King Kong Lives.

I’ll be using this guide, so I will help contribute as well. :)
Glad it helps!

I haven't seen the new Kong 76 DVD on Amazon, but it is available at Best Buy's website, so I'll update the listing.

Thanks for the reminders too! I was gonna include Monster X Strikes Back last night, but I was too tired and ended up forgetting it.

Added Monster X Strikes Back, King Kong Lives, and Son of Kong.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Don’t forget 2005 Kong, Konga, A*P*E, Mighty Peking Man, Mighty Gorga, Queen Kong, and the Daimajin trilogy.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Added all of the above plus Super Inframan, Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds, The Last Dinosaur, The Bermuda Depths, The Valley of Gwangi, and Big Man Japan.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Awesome Goji. Hope I am helping and not just telling you what to do lol.

Do you consider the Mighty Joe Young remake worthy to be included? Technically Joe is bigger in that one than the 1949 one.

Also I am really hoping to get my hands on that Lost World Blu-ray

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Awesome Goji. Hope I am helping and not just telling you what to do lol.
Not at all! The Wikipedia list I was using was VERY incomplete (missing almost all the Gamera movies and a few others) and it's hard to remember every single giant monster movie out there. You're a big help!
Mr. Yellow wrote: Do you consider the Mighty Joe Young remake worthy to be included? Technically Joe is bigger in that one than the 1949 one.
Hmm, I was debating on it but I guess it's worthy. I'll add it now.
Mr. Yellow wrote: Also I am really hoping to get my hands on that Lost World Blu-ray
Same, I've been waiting for a good quality release of this film for ages.

Between this and Night of the Living Dead getting a Criterion release next year, it's a great time for silent movie fans.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

You got Tarantula, Them! and Giant Mantis but don't forget Earth vs. The Spider.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

daveblackeye15 wrote:You got Tarantula, Them! and Giant Mantis but don't forget Earth vs. The Spider.
Indeed. I'll add it right away.
Mr. Yellow wrote:Goji, try this list

http://kaiju.wikidot.com/giant-monster-movie-list
Thanks for the suggestion. This is an extremely massive list and I'll definitely be using it, although I don't think I'll include everything here (movies where the monsters are not the main focus/are not giant monsters will be excluded, such as the Transformers movies and Wizard of Oz).

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Yeah, I agree that's more of a "movies where a giant monster appears" instead of Giant Monster Movies. But it's still handy. It should also spark good discussion on what people consider a giant monster movie lol.

Things like The Amazing Colossal Man are important.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Two corrections: Son of Kong should be The Son of Kong and you forgot to mention the Americanized version of Gamera vs. Gyaos.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Yeah, I agree that's more of a "movies where a giant monster appears" instead of Giant Monster Movies. But it's still handy. It should also spark good discussion on what people consider a giant monster movie lol.

Things like The Amazing Colossal Man are important.
Agreed. I hope this topic gains some traction (maybe even a sticky? :) ) and we can eventually come to a definitive list.

As for Amazing Colossal Man, that movie, for some reason, hasn't seen a R1 DVD release...like, at all. Very strange.
mikelcho wrote:Two corrections: Son of Kong should be The Son of Kong
Adding a conjunction makes zero difference.
mikelcho wrote: you forgot to mention the Americanized version of Gamera vs. Gyaos.
So I did. Looks like it was released in two cheap movie packs that I found on Amazon. I also mentioned the release that came with The Magic Serpent so it definitely makes sense to add it.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I agree that it makes zero difference.

However, I feel compelled, despite my better judgment, to point out that "the" is an article, not a conjunction.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I agree that it makes zero difference.

However, I feel compelled, despite my better judgment, to point out that "the" is an article, not a conjunction.
S'what I get for skimming the Google search results. :lol:

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Wow, some of these movies I’d like to see streaming first before I buy any physical media. Or at least see the monster in action first. Things like The Relic look interesting, but I’m not sure how large the monster is.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote:Wow, some of these movies I’d like to see streaming first before I buy any physical media. Or at least see the monster in action first. Things like The Relic look interesting, but I’m not sure how large the monster is.
Might end up adding streaming later, but not for a loooong while. :lol:

The monster in the relic is about the size of a rhino. Not kaiju-sized but certainly bigger than average.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Well I guess now we need a height chart....

Also just realized Skull Island isn’t up there lol

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

This topic is a very good idea. I'm also interested in older formats, be it VHS, laserdisc, Beta, Super 8, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

TheSecondComing wrote:This topic is a very good idea. I'm also interested in older formats, be it VHS, laserdisc, Beta, Super 8, etc.
I don't think I'll be covering that as it's far too grand a scope for me to tackle.
Mr. Yellow wrote: Also just realized Skull Island isn’t up there lol
KSI? I figured it counted under the Godzilla series banner, what with its MonsterVerse connection and all, but I think I'll add it just because it's not listed in the Toho topic.