Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Post by Tyrant28 »

It was a casting call for stunt doubles for those names. And from that little comic that one of the Blackhall Studioes did of Vera and Millie meeting Mothra adds more to it.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

How does that MOTHRA compare to this new look?
GO GO GOJI KUN

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

I like the class saying divine/imago. It makes the possibilities even more exiting.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

ebirah_scampi wrote:Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.

I agree. A more colorful take on the larvae would be interesting.
I hope they keep the eyes too.

Speaking of color, I redid MOTHRA with brighter colors and a more classic wing pattern? What do you guys think?

GO GO GOJI KUN

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I would be 100% alright if Mothra looked like that.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

Tyrant28 wrote:I would be 100% alright if Mothra looked like that.
A few changes to the face here and there would make good improvements, but I'd be happy nonetheless.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Tyrant28 wrote:It was a casting call for stunt doubles for those names. And from that little comic that one of the Blackhall Studioes did of Vera and Millie meeting Mothra adds more to it.
That's the studio in Atlanta right? They released a comic?

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Tyrant28 wrote:It was a casting call for stunt doubles for those names. And from that little comic that one of the Blackhall Studioes did of Vera and Millie meeting Mothra adds more to it.
That's the studio in Atlanta right? They released a comic?
One of the workers there. I made an error.

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
ebirah_scampi wrote:Everything is looking great so far. For the larvae coloring they should just go with something like Cossus cossus, that way it's modeled on a real caterpillar but still very true to the source material.

Speaking of color, I redid MOTHRA with brighter colors and a more classic wing pattern? What do you guys think?
The wings look good, but I miss the white head and body and the abdomen stripes.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

ebirah_scampi wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:

The wings look good, but I miss the white head and body and the abdomen stripes.
I noticed this while I was making it. I think this is supposed to be her underside which would explain the Antennae coming right out of the eyes.
GO GO GOJI KUN

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I wouldn't mind her roar changing, it's not iconic like Godzilla's. I actually love the Legendary roar. Some people mentioned about that weird sound in the middle, that's something I actually love, it's eerie and almost other worldly. I wouldn't mind them doing something similar to Mothra.

The design is exactly as I expected. I giant moth. Glad they're keeping it pretty traditional though and not getting too weird.

Ghidorah's design is going to be make or break for me but they're probably gonna hold that out as long as they possibly can.
Last edited by scottzilla on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I hope they don't make Mothra's facial too features too like, gross. Mothra is supposed to kind of pretty for a monster.

Loganrules115
Interpol Agent

Post by Loganrules115 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I hope they don't make Mothra's facial too features too like, gross. Mothra is supposed to kind of pretty for a monster.
They might be able to reach a balance between her grace and terror, but given the choice, they should emphasize the former.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Traditional mandibles or the more mothlike long coiled proboscis? Heretical, but I'd go with the potentially snot shooting tongue and hide the mandibles. There are primitive groups of moths that have mostly non-functioning mandibles, but they're all very drab, but who cares, it's a movie. The stone carving, if at all indicative of the direction, looks a little more 'sphinx moth' than the 'emperor moth' of her usual design. The sphinx moths are fast and active . . . lepidopterian hummingbirds, really, and can have absurdly long proboscisesses . . . es. Hide her jaws until she needs to look threatening or bite something.

Something I'd love, but is *off* and unlikely given what we've seen, is for her phoenix like qualities to be boldly underlined by having her twinned egg only emerge after she 'dies' . . . she doesn't actually die . . . the 'egg' is the part of her that regenerates, it's just that she has to go through the whole birthlifechangelifedeath thing to do it.

Twins though . . . unless the weaker is pushed out of the nest, a ritualistic sacrifice to placate Rodan, or Battra I don't think it quite works.
. . .

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

For some strange reason I wanna see Mothra actually walk in her adult stage.

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

Dracosaurian wrote:For some strange reason I wanna see Mothra actually walk in her adult stage.
Ehhhh this im not totally against as I don't think Mothras mobility should be restricted to flying, but it would be over the top to give her an anthropomorphic posture rather than her maneuvering on the ground til she gets back in the air.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

charliesheenkaiju wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:For some strange reason I wanna see Mothra actually walk in her adult stage.
Ehhhh this im not totally against as I don't think Mothras mobility should be restricted to flying, but it would be over the top to give her an anthropomorphic posture rather than her maneuvering on the ground til she gets back in the air.
By walking I meant like an actual moth not upright like a human...

charliesheenkaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by charliesheenkaiju »

Dracosaurian wrote:
Didn't think that was what you meant, I was going off some earlier concept art shared in another thread that gave her said upright posture and I wasn't sure if that was also what you considered. Regardless these are GIANT monsters so any sort of movements based on their real-life counterparts will be loosely based at best.
Last edited by charliesheenkaiju on Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kong better not touch my drumset!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

charliesheenkaiju wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:
Didn't think that was what you meant, I was going off some earlier concept art shared in another thread that gave her said upright posture and I wasn't sure if that was also what you considered. Regardless these are GIANT monsters so any sort of movements based on their real-life counterparts will be loosely based at best.
Official early concept art of the monsters was leaked?