Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Ya know looking back at the supposed jaeger/kaiju hybrids. Honestly to me, they look more like regular jaegers infected with some sort of kaiju....thing.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Or that the Jaegers are now constructed cheaply by using the Kaiju as a base, like evangelion.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

August Ragone keeps comparing Pacific Rim 2 to old Japanese robot shows and Ultraman with how fast and fluid they're moving. He's correct, but he's totally forgetting that there's already been a Pacific Rim film that showcased the WEIGHT of the Jaegars very well.

For me I always felt Pacific Rim was a Ultraman/Kiryu Saga hybrid. That's how I'm still looking at PR2 as. We got really lucky getting a PR2, we'll get extremely lucky getting a third film. The budget is reportedly 150m. Bad decision. This needed to be around 100m
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Or that the Jaegers are now constructed cheaply by using the Kaiju as a base, like evangelion.
With the contrasting white armor, and blue and black internals, it looks like a kaiju wearing Jaeger armor. I'm willing to bet these were normal Jaegers that happened to get hijacked by whatever those smaller tentacle looking kaiju are.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Cookson wrote: For me I always felt Pacific Rim was a Ultraman/Kiryu Saga hybrid. That's how I'm still looking at PR2 as. We got really lucky getting a PR2, we'll get extremely lucky getting a third film. The budget is reportedly 150m. Bad decision. This needed to be around 100m
Where did you hear that? A mere $40 million decrease saw this big a decline in production quality?
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
Cookson wrote: For me I always felt Pacific Rim was a Ultraman/Kiryu Saga hybrid. That's how I'm still looking at PR2 as. We got really lucky getting a PR2, we'll get extremely lucky getting a third film. The budget is reportedly 150m. Bad decision. This needed to be around 100m
Where did you hear that? A mere $40 million decrease saw this big a decline in production quality?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/25/busi ... ility.html

It's mentioned in that article. I'm very surprised if that holds out to be true. Expected this to be no more than a 100m production. Makes no sense to me.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

You weren't going to have this many monsters and Jaegers for $100 million. There's just no way.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Showa Gyaos wrote:You weren't going to have this many monsters and Jaegers for $100 million. There's just no way.
The thing is though, the quality is noticably lower. I expected the quality to go down, but the budget is only 40m smaller. They're counting on a huge success in Asian markets (China, south Korea).

I expected a power rangers sized budget.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Showa Gyaos wrote:You weren't going to have this many monsters and Jaegers for $100 million. There's just no way.
An all-CGI effects shot costs the same no matter what's in that particular shot, dude. If the whole frame is CG, then it doesn't matter if there's 1 Jaeger or a 100. It depends on the amount of money and time you're willing to invest into the animators to turn in detailed work, as well as attention to detail from the director, cinematographer, production designers, etc.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well I am pretty excited for the movie. The music for the trailer...slowly growing on me.

What I like:
-Very happy to see three old faces come back. So hoping Tendo Choi comes back but doesn't seem like it. Also Herc coming back would have been good.
-Kaiju look great. Seeing some new stuff. Like the idea behind the giant one. And the idea of a fleet of smaller ones. They're trying some new things.
-It sure looks like there is at least one enemy Jaeger. So it is nice having person to person antagonist.
-Jaeger flying. I do like it when we see people in a universe being ready for something that surprised them previously. 'Oh crap Otachi can fly! Well better be ready for the next flyer then.'
-The trailer has a bigger empathize on the Jaegers working together. So at the very least hopefully each Jaeger gets a nice moment to shine before going down. We were all disappointed with Crimson and Cherno went down so quickly.

Dislikes/luke warms:
-Hm it seems like the Jaegers move a little too quickly in some shots. Sometimes you got to cheat I understand that.
-Now I've made allowances for the Jaeger designs. I figure most are all built around the same time. The designs are growing one me and I really am trying to stop looking so wishfully at PR and missing the walking reactor looks. Very least least the 'bigger' Jaegers need a little more color. The pink and white one is actually growing on me.
-Music but again it is growing on me.
-Now to be fair trailers do different things. Sometimes we get a poor trailer or a different trailer or a great trailer. No one really stuck out though. I mean we have the lead and the three old faces...a blonde woman and an Asian woman with an entourage walking slowly. No one really super stuck out human wise. I should also mention I wasn't super wowed by the first Pacific Rim's trailer other than Pearlman, Mako and Gipsy cutting Otachi out of the sky.

This movie is going to feel different. I can accept it will be different long as I have good mech/kaiju action. If I want to scream out in annoyance a la the Transformers movies then that's where we have a problem...Already pre-ordered several Jaegers by the way and eyeing the information book. Gonna try to see it opening night.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I would caution, as with any trailer, to remain careful of your interpretation. While I'm fine if the Jaegers are faster, I do suspect trailer trickery at play. When I saw the trailer with a friend he noted how many cuts there were in the trailer, and as with Shin Godzilla it's important to note CGI is not final.

The only thing I really feel comfortable commenting on is that I'm glad they're getting more over the top with bigger Kaiju and having stylized laser weapons. I agree it's following in the tradition of Ultraman and other crazy things.

I don't think that it'll be as fast as the trailer but I don't mind if it is, presumably time has passed. Remember that that some of the Jaegers in PR1 were super duper slow, the mark ones and speed gap between that one and the Mk4 was significant. If these are Mk6's or some bullshit it's plausible in universe.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Bracer Phoenix is a Mark V like Striker was. All the rest are Mark VI though Obsidian Fury might possibly be a Mark VII. From the way he's featured in the trailer gives me the feeling he'll be the newest and most advanced of the Jaegers.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Exactly. Power Rangers had very little real action sequences and was still $100 million. Godzilla had more, but still not a ton, and was $160 million.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

#651. Johansen, a co-owner of Odd Studio (whose website confirms involvement in PR2: http://oddstudio.com/credits/) is double credited. Cailee Spaeny must have a major role because she has three stunt doubles working shifts.

special effects props Adam Johansen (Mad Max: Fury Road, Superman Returns, two Star Wars) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1819550/

Double Negative sr lighting td Yeshwanth S. Reddy (Skull Island: Reign of Kong, Star Trek Beyond, Planes) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5866533/

compositor Maciej Skoluba (Blade Runner 2049, The Jungle Book, two Marvel movies) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6418610/

Cailee Spaeny stunt double Miluette Nalin (Terminator Genisys, Navy Seals vs. Zombies, Free State of Jones) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4704557/

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

So I noticed in the trailer, just before the kaiju combine, you see that mass of those tiny tentacle things all converging towards them.

My theory:

The tiny tentacle things are a type of kaiju that can hijack jaegers. This could explain the white jaegers attacking the base, they appear to have what looks like those tentacle things inside or wrapped around them.

This could also explain why Gipsy Avenger is fighting Obsidian Fury. Perhaps they infect that new jaeger, they're beaten, and they merge with the 3 other kaiju to try and beat the other jaegers.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

While the white jaegers definitely are kaiju related (whether they are hybrids or an infection type of deal) with the organic looking frame, blue eyes and wires and spikes. Obsidian Fury seems like it will be own affiliated force, even its visiors are glowing red instead of the usual jaeger yellow or kaiju blue (hehe).

Honestly I kinda hope they go with a mysterious black knight type of role for Obsidian Fury but I'm not counting on it at least until there is a second trailer.

The small swarm creatures definitely have a role in the kaiju merging. You see when the giant kaiju forms, they are forming its hide.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Wait...what if the kaiju don't combine, and that massive swarm is what makes the giant kaiju?

Deknight did point out today over on Twitter, that there are people who worship the kaiju as gods. Could be a fanatical terrorists that steal Obsidian Fury. At least one part of the Avenger and Fury fight is in the city where the 3 other kaiju appear. I can see Fury interrupting the fight.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

#653.

Double Negative effects technical director Christopher Michael Coupe (Wonder Woman, Interstellar, 4 MCU movies) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4554531/

visual effects coordinator Simon Fraser (Terminator Genisys, Edge of Tomorrow, 4 Marvel movies) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6370937/

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Okay, admittedly I've just skimmed the last several pages that have gone up since the trailer dropped, but I didn't see it discussed at all. Can we all just stop and take a moment to appreciate the fact that this movie is apparently having the balls to do a huge kaiju battle IN THE MIDDLE OF A CITY IN GODDAMN BROAD DAYLIGHT? Like holy shit. It's absolute MADNESS and I love it!

Completely unrelated: this new "Hedorah" censor is annoying me. "Skreeonk" is funny but this is just unnecessary.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma