Ishiro Honda Bio by Ed Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Ishiro Honda Bio by Ed Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

This has been in the works by Ed G. and Steve R. for a few years now. In his recent interview with TK, Ed Godzisewski have to the following update:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/e ... -2016.html
Galvan: Let's now turn to the Ishiro Honda biography you and Steve Ryfle are currently writing. How long have you two been working together on this project and do you have an idea of when we can expect a release date?

Godziszewski: As of this writing, all of the revisions are in for the first draft and it should be going to the publisher any day now for their review. Release of the book really depends on how they want this to fit into their release schedule for next year. They have not clearly told us. But we are hoping that it would be sometime mid-next year. And with any luck, we hope to have some kind of Honda retrospective arranged that can be used to promote Honda's career and the book.
Also gave some comments regarding the possibily of any future projects after the Honda biography Japanese Giants issues:

Galvan: Any more future projects from you we can expect aside from the Ishiro Honda book?

Godziszewski: Having spent the better part of 7 years working on this book, I haven't really thought too much about what's next. Steve and I have talked on and off about doing a book that compiles many of the interviews that we and some others have done, some of which have not yet been published. That would be fun, and certainly less work. I hope to help out Sean Linkenback on his next book idea, which would be on Godzilla collectibles. Working extensively with him on the poster book that he did recently was really fun and rewarding. As I said earlier, I would love to resume publishing JG, but until I see a change of heart in fandom where enough people are interested to learn about how these films are made, I will have to find some other outlet for writing and researching.
I've been waiting for this book for years. Look forward to hopefully seeing it come out soon...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

UltramanGoji

Re: Ishiro Honda Bio by Ed Godzisewski and Steve Ryfle

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oh man, reading these have me excited! Always interested in more English language books on tokusatsu. I'd love to see that interview book they mentioned, especially if it features stuff from out-of-print magazines that are no longer available.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

Finally, a professional, authentic book about Honda. Kudos to both Ed and Steve for being in the home stretch of this momentous undertaking.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Consider me excited for this movie. I admit, I haven't read nearly as much of Mr. Godziszewski's (or Mr. Ryfle's) literature on Godzilla as I ought to, but what I have read has always been delightfully informative; and I am greatly interested in learning more about Honda's work outside of daikaiju.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

Rody wrote:Consider me excited for this movie. I admit, I haven't read nearly as much of Mr. Godziszewski's (or Mr. Ryfle's) literature on Godzilla as I ought to, but what I have read has always been delightfully informative; and I am greatly interested in learning more about Honda's work outside of daikaiju.
Ed and Steve's writing on Godzilla and related topics is superlative.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I'm very excited for this book. Anyone not familiar with Ed and Steve's work (shame on you!) should take a look their previous work. You can still order Japanese Giants 4-10 directly from Ed on his website
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Rody wrote:The book now has a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IshiroHondaBoo ... e_internal.
The Facebook page just announced they cleared a major hurdle and the book is now on a definite path for publication. Hope to have a date soon. Great great news
SpaceG92 wrote:

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Finally the finish line is hopefully in sight. I am very much looking forward to this....have been for years.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Here is the cover. The book should be arriving soon!

SpaceG92 wrote:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

This sounds good!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

It's available for pre order on Amazon. I'd pre order just on the principal that it's another piece of literature on an important figure in Japanese cinema.

https://www.amazon.com/Ishiro-Honda-Lif ... hiro+honda
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

It's out now. I've only seen great first impressions of it so far, I'm excited for my copy to come in.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:It's out now. I've only seen great first impressions of it so far, I'm excited for my copy to come in.
I was going to order it but I'm going to see Steve Ryfle talk in person about it and buy the book there and have him sign. Can't wait!
SpaceG92 wrote:

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I just bought one from Ebay (from a UK seller!!). Can't wait. I'm a huge Steve Ryfle fan (Ed G not so much), so I'm looking forward to this book. He wrote (in my opinion) the best English language Godzilla book in Japan's Favorite Mon-Star.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Also, while there have been a number of pieces written by noted Japanese scholars on Godzilla (1954) and other Honda films, some of those writers have seemed to imply that Honda may have been a right-wing nationalist, which is certainly not true.
Godzilla Resurgence, which I thought was interesting for its unconventional approach and its right-wing leanings
http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/s ... -2017.html

'History does not repeat itself, but it rhymes' and all that.
Looking forward to the biography though.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I've really got to read the books I've got since last Christmas that I never got a chance to read:
* ATOMIC DREAMS AND THE NUCLEAR NIGHTMARE: THE MAKING OF GODZILLA (1954)
* THE BIG BOOK OF JAPANESE GIANT MONSTER MOVIES VOL. 1: 1954 -1980

I've read August Ragone's awesome book EIJI TSUBURAYA: MASTER OF MONSTERS, and David Kalat's analytical A CRITICAL HISTORY & FILMOGRAPHY OF TOHO'S GODZILLA SERIES, and Steve Ryfle's JAPAN'S FAVORITE MON-STAR.

I've always wanted to take a gander at Ed Godzisewki's THE ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GODZILLA.

But, I REALLY wanted to check this bio out. I've always wanted to know more about Honda. His personal life, his bond with Godzilla, his collaborations with Akira Kurosawa. This book is going to be awesome!!! :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Reading through the book, you gain a lot of respect/knowledge for Honda and his works, and I've always been a big fan of (most) of his works. They're not blind, as they rightfully point out blemishes like some flat characters and weak effects, but the historical context provided to all of his films will make you appreciate them more.

Also, I'd love it if Steve Ryfle went through his plan of analyzing the politics of Godzilla films, as revealed through the recent interview on the main site. I'm also interested into what Ed G. is working on next.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I wonder if Ed Godzisewski will ever reprint his ILLUSTRATED ENCYCLOPEDIA OF GODZILLA. I would love to read it!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Reading through the book, you gain a lot of respect/knowledge for Honda and his works, and I've always been a big fan of (most) of his works. They're not blind, as they rightfully point out blemishes like some flat characters and weak effects, but the historical context provided to all of his films will make you appreciate them more.

Also, I'd love it if Steve Ryfle went through his plan of analyzing the politics of Godzilla films, as revealed through the recent interview on the main site. I'm also interested into what Ed G. is working on next.
I spoke to Ed G at G Fest. He said they are floating around some ideas but didn't go too much in depth. I know they have a ton of material they've gathered through the years that they can draw on.
SpaceG92 wrote: