ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Dracosaurian wrote:Plus didn't Godzilla already crossover into an Ultraman-like series before?
No. I think you're thinking of Jirass, who was a modified Godzilla costume.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:Plus didn't Godzilla already crossover into an Ultraman-like series before?
No. I think you're thinking of Jirass, who was a modified Godzilla costume.
Oh I know all about that. :) Also I just remembered it was a show called Zone Fighter and I think Gigan was on it too if I'm correct.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla was in Zone fighter, and technically the Zone fighter series is canonical with the Showa timeline. It has the appearance of not just Godzilla but also has the death of Gigan, and takes place in the gap between TOMG and DAM (IIRC).

The reason why I wouldn't like Godzilla crossing over is admittedly while I like Ultraman I don't like the transformations and tropes that come with it. I like monsters fighting monsters more, and even though Godzilla and Ultraman series I like their internal differences of one being about superheroes fighting monsters and the other about monsters fighting monsters.

To be clear, I would never be against a crossover, but it's something I'm not particularly enthusiastic about.

Anyways, I just finished the latest episode of Geed, and I'd like to bring up something that's been on my mind recently. Mainly the fact that I'm comparison to previous ultra series the episodes put so little focus on the monsters and seem like they're just thrown in. Mind you, I don't hate this, and there are some benefits to this (mainly having a better over arching villain) but overall I miss the days of the original series, seven, Leo, Max and mebius.

In Ultraman Geed, few of the monsters have been thematically important to the episode. What I mean by that is that while Skull Gomora, Thunder Killer and Penda Zetton are all super cool designs, they don't serve any function other than something strong for Geed to fight. It's not like Skull Gomora had an interesting backstory, or had some mystery to it, it was just a big monster to accomplish the goals of the villain, a tool. The same can be said for all the other fusion monsters.

Then if we look into the other monsters, a lot of them are rehashed costumes. Which, is completely fine, but again all of them except for a few have really no backstory and are complete shells of their former selves.

Key example is Galactron. Remember in Orb where Galactron appeared and had his own mini arc? How in the lull of post Orochi he randomly appeared one day and everyone was trying to figure out what it was? Then when it finally started attacking a lot of interesting lore was created behind it, and it was a big threat?

Then in Orb Galactron(s) randomly are used by Fukide or whatever as a means to stop Zero. There's no significant lore tie in, nor is it important that It's Galactron. It's just a random mech for Geed and Zero to fight.

The same thing happens with the multiple Darkclops Zero in episode 3. They're just randomly there. Then there's Tyrant. Tyrant is randomly thrown in with Skull Gomora to attack the base despite having Zero lore sitnifancr. The same thing occurs with Astron.

Yes there are exceptions, mainly the Kaiju that appeared from Ultraman 80 in episode 10, and I believe eleking in episode 3, but I think you get my point.

To also be clear, I don't have a problem with reusing suits, I'm all for seeing Red King or whatever again. Past Ultra series have reused monsters and given then new plots. I think that's why I'm disappointed in Geed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

You have a point there. I actually forgot Tyrant even appeared. Then again, I'm watching X between Geed episodes, so I might be confusing myself.

Galactron was a huge threat in Orb and I really liked those episodes, but in Geed... Yeah it's a destructive menace, but the psycho justice aspect is gone.

They seem to be really focused on human character development and storyline, which is good, but it feels like they're doing it at the expense of fleshing out the monsters. Orb had a nigh-perfect combination of character development, story, and giving the monsters a reason to be there.

Zandrias' little storyline in episode 10 was pretty good; a little overboard at the end if you ask me, but at least memorable.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Zandrias is the exception, and I actually liked the episode even though it wasn't climactic.

I do agree about the characters being more developed, especially Leito, but as of now Riku still feels like a generic shell of a character. Seeing that Fukide is gone, while he shined in that double episode like 7/8, he wound up just being a subordinate with no real motives and just turned into a lunatic.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikenes
EDF Instructor

Post by mikenes »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Godzilla was in Zone fighter, and technically the Zone fighter series is canonical with the Showa timeline. It has the appearance of not just Godzilla but also has the death of Gigan, and takes place in the gap between TOMG and DAM (IIRC).

The reason why I wouldn't like Godzilla crossing over is admittedly while I like Ultraman I don't like the transformations and tropes that come with it. I like monsters fighting monsters more, and even though Godzilla and Ultraman series I like their internal differences of one being about superheroes fighting monsters and the other about monsters fighting monsters.

To be clear, I would never be against a crossover, but it's something I'm not particularly enthusiastic about.

Anyways, I just finished the latest episode of Geed, and I'd like to bring up something that's been on my mind recently. Mainly the fact that I'm comparison to previous ultra series the episodes put so little focus on the monsters and seem like they're just thrown in. Mind you, I don't hate this, and there are some benefits to this (mainly having a better over arching villain) but overall I miss the days of the original series, seven, Leo, Max and mebius.

In Ultraman Geed, few of the monsters have been thematically important to the episode. What I mean by that is that while Skull Gomora, Thunder Killer and Penda Zetton are all super cool designs, they don't serve any function other than something strong for Geed to fight. It's not like Skull Gomora had an interesting backstory, or had some mystery to it, it was just a big monster to accomplish the goals of the villain, a tool. The same can be said for all the other fusion monsters.

Then if we look into the other monsters, a lot of them are rehashed costumes. Which, is completely fine, but again all of them except for a few have really no backstory and are complete shells of their former selves.

Key example is Galactron. Remember in Orb where Galactron appeared and had his own mini arc? How in the lull of post Orochi he randomly appeared one day and everyone was trying to figure out what it was? Then when it finally started attacking a lot of interesting lore was created behind it, and it was a big threat?

Then in Orb Galactron(s) randomly are used by Fukide or whatever as a means to stop Zero. There's no significant lore tie in, nor is it important that It's Galactron. It's just a random mech for Geed and Zero to fight.

The same thing happens with the multiple Darkclops Zero in episode 3. They're just randomly there. Then there's Tyrant. Tyrant is randomly thrown in with Skull Gomora to attack the base despite having Zero lore sitnifancr. The same thing occurs with Astron.

Yes there are exceptions, mainly the Kaiju that appeared from Ultraman 80 in episode 10, and I believe eleking in episode 3, but I think you get my point.

To also be clear, I don't have a problem with reusing suits, I'm all for seeing Red King or whatever again. Past Ultra series have reused monsters and given then new plots. I think that's why I'm disappointed in Geed.
I pretty much agree with you on all of this except the rehashing of the monster suits. It has gotten way old by now. I get the fact that they're trying to save money, and it is evident since next week is a filler episode, but I think that it is an exaggeration the number of times they're rehashing the same suits over and over. They're even doing that in the movies. Galactron was used in Orb's movie at the beginning.

pta917
Xilien Halfling

Post by pta917 »

Looks like Bellial will be making an appearance soon enough.
Davros wrote:This is my ultimate victory, Doctor! The destruction of REALITY ITSELF!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Get hype

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Ultraman Geed: Fire Leader (Mebius x Zoffy)

Last edited by MoarCrossovers on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

That Belial form... That just looks HORRIBAD. Those thighs...

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

MM Raids Again wrote:That Belial form... That just looks HORRIBAD. Those thighs...
Reminds me of Guilala

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I don't know why, but that scene shot of the Belial form's face reminds me of the Type A Ultraman suit's face.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Let's hope the newest deus ex machina can form a new deus ex machina to magically fix the series.

I remain hopeful, and the new Kaiju looks cool, but that belial form looks horrible. Hopefully it's misleading, like a partway photo, or that there's an explanation for it.

mikenes
EDF Instructor

Post by mikenes »

Belial looks like that because he is partially fusing with the final boss from Ultraman Gaia, I forget her name...

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Okay so I recently found out that Crunchyroll has some Ultraman series on their service. These are the ones they have.
Ultraman Geed- Already caught up.
Ultraman 80
Ultraman Gaia
Ultraman Ginga
Ultraman Leo
Ultraman Max
Ultraman Mebius
Ultraman Nexus
Ultraman Orb- Only seen the first episode.
Ultraman X

So my question is... where else do I start? I'm new to Ultraman and I already knew there was a lot to do. Are all the series connected? Any I should avoid? I need some help fellas, please. :shock:
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

UltimateDitto wrote:Okay so I recently found out that Crunchyroll has some Ultraman series on their service. These are the ones they have.
Ultraman Geed- Already caught up.
Ultraman 80
Ultraman Gaia
Ultraman Ginga
Ultraman Leo
Ultraman Max
Ultraman Mebius
Ultraman Nexus
Ultraman Orb- Only seen the first episode.
Ultraman X

So my question is... where else do I start? I'm new to Ultraman and I already knew there was a lot to do. Are all the series connected? Any I should avoid? I need some help fellas, please. :shock:
The only ones that are REALLY connected is Mebius has direct ties to several Showa era series. However, you don't need to be a big completionist to dive into any of the connected series. Mebius is a great way to introduce yourself to some of the older Ultras while seeing what the series has to offer nowadays. I personally love Gaia the most out of the series they have and its not connected to any others. Max is also a great starting point, has no connections and it brings back numerous Showa kaiju (Baltan, Red King, Gomora, King Joe, Eleking, Zetton, etc).

Ginga, X and Orb are modern series where the franchise started to throw continuity out the window and become very toy-centric. X and Orb are still very solid series, but Ginga kind of sucks.

Nexus is a lot different than the rest of the Ultra series. Think of it as the GMK of the Ultraman franchise. Reinvents a lot of things, makes it darker, etc. A great series, but not something one should just start off with. Maybe as your second or third entry.

Quote of the Year:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love Nexus myself and really enjoy the fact that some kaiju last several episodes. It's also more character centric than a lot of other Ultra shows and is also more serialized than most. It can be fairly dark and even a bit depressing in some way. Kinda like what MM said Nexus is pretty much Ultraman by way of Gamera 3. Also unlike most Ultra series where Ultra hosts play the central role Ultraman is more of a side character. Hell it even takes several episodes before we really even find out who Ultraman's host even is.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Alrighty thanks guys, this will help me out a lot. I think I'll watch Max, sounds like a nice series to watch on a cloudy Saturday. :D
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

I ♡ Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I would agree Max is a great starting point, but if there's any way, the original Ultraman, UltraSeven or Return of Ultraman are great to start out with.

I started the series with actually the first series and while I've gone out of chronology since ROU, I do think the original series still holds up and it's why it's referenced so much today. Max has the closest feeling to that other than Mebius, so if you can tell watch that watch those.

Just for my own reference, here's everything I've seen not including movies:
Ultraman
UltraSeven
Return of Ultraman
Ultraman Leo
Ultraman Max
Ultraman Mebius
Ultraman Ginga/S
Ultraman X
Ultraman Orb
Ultraman Geed (Ongoing)
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

https://youtu.be/R-irZV2dhPk
Well I did find this restoration English dub of Ultras seven. :D

I ♡ Image