Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Post by tbeasley »

“I'm good. It'd be more interesting if they changed directors. Toho won't let me do it. There'd be a lot of difficulties."
That's just Anno being Anno. Image

Those crazy evolutions sound like Nobuhiko Obayashi/A Space Godzilla next level insanity.
Last edited by tbeasley on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:All that stuff lines up with the content Anno usually produces, so I wouldn't be shocked if there is truth to it. But it's just more stuff to make me not enjoy this take on Godzilla. If Shin breaks into a bit bunch of shinlets or turns into an amorphous space blob, it's really not Godzilla anymore.
I agree with that last statement, and for reference I'm all for the idea of changing Godzilla, within certain limits. Also the instant you move beyond the fifth form, you run into a serious problem of completely removing any of the relevance from the first film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

As much as I would like to see those ideas in some form, it really would cease to be Godzilla at a certain point.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Anno usually has the decency and common sense to not prolong and over-stay his welcome in a franchise. Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be back to Godzilla vs MechaGhidorahMothra in due time for the rest of the fandom.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah and the fact that people are so keen on having Shin versions of monsters like Ghidorah, rather than new unique monsters bothers me.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Would anyone else rather Shin Godzilla appear only once? I feel like a sequel would ruin the film a bit, it works best as a stand alone

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Godzillian wrote:Would anyone else rather Shin Godzilla appear only once? I feel like a sequel would ruin the film a bit, it works best as a stand alone
Agreed, though I wouldn't mind if Shin sort of appeared in later films.

For example, I have an idea for a Godzilla series that would have a mated pair of Godzillas. In the final film I imagined, one of the Godzillas disappears after being nuked by invading aliens. The remaining Godzilla is then killed in a battle with King Ghidorah. Then, the nuked Godzilla reappears, but damaged and mutated further by the alien nuke, so they resemble and have the back and tail beams of Shin Godzilla.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:Would anyone else rather Shin Godzilla appear only once? I feel like a sequel would ruin the film a bit, it works best as a stand alone
I'm 100% in agreement. To me, Shin represents possibly the most successful realization of what the Millennium series was aiming for: a bold, distinctive take on the concept of Godzilla by a filmmaker unrestrained by either having to follow past continuity or worry about paving the way for future installments.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
I'm 100% in agreement. To me, Shin represents possibly the most successful realization of what the Millennium series was aiming for: a bold, distinctive take on the concept of Godzilla by a filmmaker unrestrained by either having to follow past continuity or worry about paving the way for future installments.
Yes, definitely. It was more about a statement than creating a viable ongoing world, to me- a very self-contained piece that would not spin off well into the usual sort of vs. Series, or even another man vs. nature story.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Definitely, Shin Godzilla is awesome but he works better as a one off. I can see him reappearing in like a nightmare sequence in some other series.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm on total agreement. As someone who loved Shin Godzilla a direct sequel would only hurt the narrative.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

I think a sequel can work, provided Anno comes back & it expands on the ideas from the first movie. What if other monsters started appearing? What if Earth basically becomes a wasteland like Mad Max overrun by horrible creatures. Is Mankind's time up.
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I'd rather Shin Godzilla be a stand-alone title. Only Anno could make a "second chapter" work.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingZillla wrote:I think a sequel can work, provided Anno comes back & it expands on the ideas from the first movie. What if other monsters started appearing? What if Earth basically becomes a wasteland like Mad Max overrun by horrible creatures. Is Mankind's time up.
That doesn't seem like it would really contribute anything to what Shin was going for thematically. If anything, it would undermine it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingZillla
Interpol Agent

Post by KingZillla »

eabaker wrote:
KingZillla wrote:I think a sequel can work, provided Anno comes back & it expands on the ideas from the first movie. What if other monsters started appearing? What if Earth basically becomes a wasteland like Mad Max overrun by horrible creatures. Is Mankind's time up.
That doesn't seem like it would really contribute anything to what Shin was going for thematically. If anything, it would undermine it.
Idk, what I got from the ending with the Tail-humanoids is that Japan & then Humanity would have been wiped out if they couldn't stop Godzilla. He kept evolving throughout the movie. I think the humanoid creatures symbolize Mankind's time coming to an end because what if the Freeze on him is only delaying the inevitable?

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
tbeasley wrote:
“I'm good. It'd be more interesting if they changed directors. Toho won't let me do it. There'd be a lot of difficulties."
That's just Anno being Anno. Image

Those crazy evolutions sound like Nobuhiko Obayashi/A Space Godzilla next level insanity.
Wow, love your avatar, dude! Nice to see fellow Hellboy fan!
Last edited by KingZillla on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent... Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." -The King Returns, 2016.

Let them fight - 2019

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

KingZillla wrote:Wow, love your avatar, dude! Nice to see fellow Hellboy fan!
:huge:

If Toho does decide to go ahead with a Shin sequel I hope Anno, Higuchi and co return as well. If anyone should do it, better or worse, it's them.

But I wouldn't put it past Toho to start fresh again Millennium style, and if so I hope they pick a team as exciting and promising as the one they got for Shin. If they've learned anything from Shin it should be to take their time producing these films with the right people.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

I'd prefer Toho let Shin stand alone.
. . .

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KingZillla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Idk, what I got from the ending with the Tail-humanoids is that Japan & then Humanity would have been wiped out if they couldn't stop Godzilla. He kept evolving throughout the movie. I think the humanoid creatures symbolize Mankind's time coming to an end because what if the Freeze on him is only delaying the inevitable?
If any one outcome is inevitable, then the entire point about national self-determination becomes meaningless, though.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Some interesting concepts for Shin Godzilla's first form. I personally prefer the top one, though it seems kinda unlikely considering he's a mutated sea reptile.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

He's not a sea reptile. He's a fish. Everything about his early form is far more similar to different types of fish than any marine reptile. Especially the eyes and gills. He's very similar to eels and frilled sharks. He only becomes reptilian in subsequent forms. Hell, he had to evolve back legs to move on land.