Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
The Kongfather
Yojimbo

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989)

Post by The Kongfather »

UltramanGoji wrote:
The Kongfather wrote:Coming from a newbie, is it socially acceptable around here to promote our own Godzilla videos?
Yes sir! In addition to making a thread in the Fan Art, Movies, Music & Games section, you can make a post in the Promote your Site/Forums thread.
Awesome, thanks. Any idea why the video I posted above doesn't seem to work?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The Kongfather wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
The Kongfather wrote:Coming from a newbie, is it socially acceptable around here to promote our own Godzilla videos?
Yes sir! In addition to making a thread in the Fan Art, Movies, Music & Games section, you can make a post in the Promote your Site/Forums thread.
Awesome, thanks. Any idea why the video I posted above doesn't seem to work?
Remove the "t=4s" from the end and it might work. If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what's wrong.

The Kongfather
Yojimbo

Post by The Kongfather »

UltramanGoji wrote:Remove the "t=4s" from the end and it might work. If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what's wrong.
Yay, it worked! Thanks again.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The Kongfather wrote:I recently tried my hand at a trailer mashup between Godzilla vs. Biollante and Little Shop of Horrors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWsR51ecQck
Thanks for posting that! Well done, and it got quite a smile out of me! I love both movies, as well.

I also have fond memories of both movies related to my father, and today is the second anniversary of his passing, so it was in a way a particularly heartwarming little surprise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

There's a bit of irony here. A dentist came up with the idea for G vs B, and one of Audrey 2's victims is a dentist.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

VamprisArachne
Monsterland Worker

Post by VamprisArachne »

edgaguirus wrote:There's a bit of irony here. A dentist came up with the idea for G vs B, and one of Audrey 2's victims is a dentist.
*Cue X-Files Music*

On-Topic: Godzilla vs. Biollante battles with Mothra vs. Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) for my favorite G-Film. I like this film's atmosphere, tone and creature effects. I know some people harp on the music, but I actually enjoy it,

I think it is how "different" this movie is that makes it a favorite of mine, a one-off little experiment that plays with new ideas for Godzilla.

BaconRasherMan
Yojimbo

Post by BaconRasherMan »

Just came off of watching the Japanese version of this film, probably one of my favourite Godzilla movies now. Although one question I have is it ever explained why Godzilla and Biollante attack each other when they're explained as being two of the same creature?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

BaconRasherMan wrote:Just came off of watching the Japanese version of this film, probably one of my favourite Godzilla movies now. Although one question I have is it ever explained why Godzilla and Biollante attack each other when they're explained as being two of the same creature?
As someone who goes through life carrying a hefty serving of self-loathing, this question has never once occurred to me. ;)
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I mean, Godzilla and SpaceGodzilla did the same thing. I figured it was either a dominance thing, or...

Personally, I've always seen Biollante as being essentially good, with Erica's soul or conscience to guide it, while Godzilla was essentially a force of destruction. Therefore, I saw Godzilla's response as that of an alpha predator staking its claim in its territory or otherwise eliminating rivals, having had his attention pricked by the connection they shared but willing to suffer no others that could compete with him, while Biollante's combativeness was out of a desire to defend people from the threat posed by Godzilla; in some ways, taking responsibility for her errant family member.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I always saw it as Godzilla was more curious and fascinated by Biollante than anything, then Biollante attacked him either out of panic, territoriality, or because the human part of her recognized Godzilla as a threat and took it upon herself to fight back against him. Being the mean bastard he is, Godzilla immediately retaliated when he was attacked and came to see Biollante as his enemy.

With SpaceGodzilla, I assumed it was more out of SpaceGodzilla's sheer malicious nature. He wanted to kill Godzilla because he saw him as the only thing standing in the way of his conquest of Earth. He intentionally attacked Little Godzilla to draw Godzilla out, then attacked him.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

King of the Monsters wrote:I always saw it as Godzilla was more curious and fascinated by Biollante than anything, then Biollante attacked him either out of panic, territoriality, or because the human part of her recognized Godzilla as a threat and took it upon herself to fight back against him. Being the mean bastard he is, Godzilla immediately retaliated when he was attacked and came to see Biollante as his enemy.

With SpaceGodzilla, I assumed it was more out of SpaceGodzilla's sheer malicious nature. He wanted to kill Godzilla because he saw him as the only thing standing in the way of his conquest of Earth. He intentionally attacked Little Godzilla to draw Godzilla out, then attacked him.
Speaking of malicious nature, who is the Frieza of the Heisei series: SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah?
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Destoroyah of course.

SpaceGodzilla is Goku Black.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Guess that makes Mothra Krillin. Cause y'know, she dies all the time.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

BaconRasherMan
Yojimbo

Post by BaconRasherMan »

I'd have thought Destoroyah would been Cell, seeing as he goes through multiple forms and indirectly kills the main character. :lol:

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I always consider Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah to be like Broly.

TheDolphinKaijuGod
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheDolphinKaijuGod »

I thought the film was good, it probably had one of the most creative/epic designs of a godzilla monster. It also has my favorite version of godzilla's atomic breath, and favorite godzilla suit of the heisei series. I thought the characters weren't the best, but good enough. And the puppet for biollante looked EPIC! 9/10 stars IMO
Resized Image 

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Ivo-goji wrote:Destoroyah of course.

SpaceGodzilla is Goku Black.
Actually, I'd say that SpaceGodzilla is the Heisei equivalent of King Ghidorah.

Which says quite a bit about the Heisei King Ghidorah.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

That has nothing to so with what I was saying.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I like this movie. It's somewhat flawed with some questionable writing, shoddy acting from some of the cast, and some inconsistent tone. All that aside, the concepts are very interesting and there's plenty of good stuff in this film. I also have to say, the special effects are some of the best kaiju effects in film. Biollante looks way better than anything Hollywood has pumped out in recent years imo. BioGoji is great too. A little stiff but the animatronic shots make up for it.

Added in 4 minutes 32 seconds:
Ivo-goji wrote:That has nothing to so with what I was saying.
Your profile image goes perfect with the post and it made me laugh. :lol:

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Ivo-goji wrote:That has nothing to so with what I was saying.
I thought you were talking about what villains heisei kaiju were the equivalent of. Sorry if I misunderstood.