Godzilla and kaiju sightings and references in other shows

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla and kaiju sightings and references in other shows

Post by Kaijunator »

In Friday the 13th: the Final Chapter, a Gamera puppet is seen in Tommy's room at the end of the film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

I found a reference in episode 8 of Little Witch Academia, when Akko is inside of Sucy's "inner world" type place, there are many MANY references to various series (Silent Hill, Star Wars, etc) this is an obvious one to Shin Godzilla, even her leg with the mushrooms on it is a reference.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The original Mazinger Z anime uses Godzilla's roar (sometimes distorted) in a lot of mechas.

I can't remember if it's in the original anime or Rebuilds, but Misato's telephone has Showa King Ghidorah's roar as ringtone.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

In Everybody Hates Chris, in his Dad's pep talk, he says" You think Godzilla used luck to defeat Ghidrah the three-headed dragon?".
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

In episode 4 of Samurai Jack season 5, a giant subterranean monster that swallows Jack and Ashi uses one of Godzilla's roars.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

In both the video game and the novelization by Raymond Benson, Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty reveal that Raiden and Rosemary meet on a chance argument of whether it was King Kong or GODZILLA that featured the Empire State Building.

Added in 9 minutes 48 seconds:
In the movie About Schmidt, one of Jack Nicholson's in-laws is clearly wearing a kaiju movie poster T-shirt in one scene, though I can't tell which one.

Added in 15 hours 23 minutes 48 seconds:
The MGS2 Kong and Godzilla conversation is recapped in a flashback in Metal Gear Solid 4 as well.

Also, a new Honda commercial features battling rock monsters. More a reference just to the genre than anything in particular I'd say.

Added in 19 hours 45 minutes 4 seconds:
Former Monkee Michael Nesmith released a music and comedy video called Elephant Parts in 1981, which features a goof on one of his own songs "Joanne," becoming "Rodan."
It was the first video to win a Grammy award.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5A33F6E5

Added in 7 hours 22 minutes 16 seconds:
A Godzilla reference/joke on yesterday's episode of The Daily Show.

https://www.facebook.com/thedailyshow/v ... 080671800/
Last edited by TheSecondComing on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

TheSecondComing wrote:In the movie About Schmidt, one of Jack Nicholson's in-laws is clearly wearing a kaiju movie poster T-shirt in one scene, though I can't tell which one.
I think that's a fake poster. Those red letters don't look like real katakana.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

TheSecondComing
Futurian

G-Matt wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:In the movie About Schmidt, one of Jack Nicholson's in-laws is clearly wearing a kaiju movie poster T-shirt in one scene, though I can't tell which one.
I think that's a fake poster. Those red letters don't look like real katakana.

Could very well be. About Schmidt doesn't seem like the type of movie to go out of it's way for such a minor detail but I honestly couldn't say.

The Making of Jurassic Park has a moment where Steven Spielberg talks about creating dinosaur sounds, saying "go create dinosaur sounds that don't sound like Godzilla or Rodan". This documentary is featured on the Collector's Edition VHS and supposedly on the 20th anniversary blu-ray as well.

40:56

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Ok Ko: Let's Be Heroes!
S:01
Ep:10
In the episode we are introduced to Chameleon Jr's father, Chameleon Sr. Who is actually a giant man in a rubber lizard suit. A reference to Godzilla and suit actors in general.

Added in 7 minutes 47 seconds:
Ultraman Geed
Episode: 22, Recollection.
When King Galactron debuts, it is heard making distorted Godzilla roars.
https://youtu.be/UHQN64QO1_I
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

TheSecondComing
Futurian

I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I believe there's an Imperial Godzilla figure on the kids' shelf in one of the first shots of Adventures in Dinosaur City.

Spot it quickly at about 2:42 of this video.

Added in 27 days 6 hours 30 minutes 30 seconds:
A quote from Attack of the 60 Foot Centerfold:

"I feel so strange, like Godzilla or something!"
"You're much prettier than Godzilla.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Program: Chowder
Reference: Mothra vs. Godzilla
Episode/Sketch: The BLT's
Air Date: June 11th, 2009

Worried that Chowder will not pass the B.L.T's, Mung attempts to help him, distracting the class by Dressing Schnitzel and Truffles in Godzilla and Mothra like costumes respectively and pretending to destroy Marzapan City. The plan utterly fails when the two are eaten by a giant Anguirus like monster.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

I ♡ Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

There’s an Ultraman kaiju on a poster in the Loud House, does this count?
https://mobile.twitter.com/enginvir/sta ... 4981972992

Plus there’s a new kaiju movie featuring a giant lizard that takes inspiration from Shin Godzilla.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat May 05, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

TheSecondComing
Futurian

The July 22nd, 2014 episode of The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson features a bit of improv between Craig and Geoff Peterson imagining a scene from Godzilla vs. Regis Philbin.
You can watch it at 1:55:00 of this video:

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just thought of two that aren't on here at all: the Pinky and the Brain episode "Tokyo Grows" which featured "Gollyzilla", took place in "Tokyo 1956" (it was one of the many "historical episodes" that took Pinky and the Brain out of the 1990s) and parodied practically everything in kaiju eiga (even down to the mouths not matching the talking of the people in the episode) and the Speed Buggy episode "Kingzilla" which featured a giant gorilla of the same name.

In the first one, the Brain (as part of his latest plan to take over the world) uses an enlarging ray which he has made from a miniaturizing ray that was created by the Japanese scientists of Acmeshima Labs (yes, that is its name) to make himself gigantic and calls himself Brainodo. There's even a Raymond Burr parody character that pops up in the episode every so often and only says "Yes, I see."
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

On the sixth episode of "Secret Eats with Adam Richman" Richman eats a Mexican dish named after Godzilla, the show even plays a Showa Godzilla roar sound effect.

I ♡ Image

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Shadow Warrior (1997) has posters for "Gobzilla vs Earth-Eater" that can be found in a decoration in many levels.
Resized Image
And the 2013 reboot has a Godzilla silhouette easter egg that bobbles up and down in the distance on the first two levels.
Resized Image
Last edited by Komenja on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So Astral Chain def takes tons of inspiration from Evangelion, but midway through, it starts taking a lot from Shin. There's a big monster called Homunculus, that is pretty much Shin.

When you meet it the first time, it can't walk, and sort of awkwardly wriggles around.
Then you meet it again, and It's walking on all fours. Then it develops armor, and starts firing purple beams, that are pretty much identical to Shin. The Mouth opens up as well.

When you fight it after the first time, It's made abundantly clear that it's a race against time, and you must defeat it before it continues to evolve.

100% a shin Reference.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

^Speaking of which, there are a couple of other video games, which may have gotten inspiration from ShinGoji.

This boss in Dark Souls 3 has a beam weapon that changes form like Godzilla's beam.

(at 2:27)

This is an even clearer reference, from NieR: Automata.

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Platinum made Astral Chain as well, so it's clear someone loves Shin Godzilla
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Well, there's the time the title character from Sanford and Sons complained about missing a television screening of Dogora. Quite a somewhat obscure reference.

In The Loud House, aside from Mazinger Z and Gyango, Lincoln's room also contains a green toy of King Ghidorah.

The Powerpuff Girls are also filled with kaiju references considering giant monsters constantly target Townsville. One episode had a Hedorah lookalike named Steve who told the girls they should be themselves rather than copy other superheroes.

There's also Badaxtra from Dexter's Laboratory. His episode was one big love letter to kaiju and tokusatsu.

And Shelley, the giant undead turtle from Frankenweenie certainly seems like a nod to Gamera minus tusks, fireballs and flying habilities, given Burton loves his kaiju films.