Discussion: Main Site Updates

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
User avatar
Grimlock#1
Samurai
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: On my computer, of course
Contact:

Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Grimlock#1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Just like what the title states. This isn't really a "beg/harass/threaten for this specific update" kind of thread (at least that wasn't my purpose when I created this), but more of a discuss what you liked about the latest or past updates and express what you found neat about them. Speculation on what you think the next update might be about is allowed, but try not to make it sound like you're demanding it to be done. I hope I'm not stepping on some of the toes of other fourm threads since discussions here might be stepping into their territories.

I like how pages relating to Zone Fighter are now being updated. I'm honestly a little bit surprised they're being updated this early (I figured Monster Bios and Aliens/SDF pages related to television shows would be worked on after 2/3rds of the movie monsters and the like were done, but it's a happy surprise). I'm looking forward to new Zone Fighter content, or even some Godzilla Island content to be added.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"

Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.


"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8938
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby SpaceG92 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:53 pm

This topic was long overdue.

Stickied!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14190
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm a major, major fan of all the updates to the film and monster bios sections. There's a wealth of new information coming out thanks to the staff's translations of Japanese guidebooks and tidbits from rare books such as Guy Mariner Tucker's Age of the Gods and it's excellent to finally hear some of the long lost tales these books have provided.

I'm generally not a big fan of the sponsored toy reviews or updates as they just seem really corporate to me and don't really seem as genuine. That's not to say I don't appreciate the work that goes into setting up all the connections, it's just not as interesting to me as the movie and monster bio updates.
Image

User avatar
Grimlock#1
Samurai
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: On my computer, of course
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Grimlock#1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:00 am

These past two updates regarding Godzilla vs. Barubaroi have been absolutely phenomenal. I love updates that feature Lost/Cut concepts because of the wild ideas that were actually considered for the big screen. I never knew that there was an Anguirus Hound, and I was surprised to see that a concept art piece that I long thought was Anguirus himself was actually the Anguirus Hound. Keep up the good work, Joshua, it's very much appreciated. I'm excited and eager to learn about Godzilla vs. Giant Monster Varan.
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"

Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.


"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Zarm » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:00 am

I dig the Zone Fighter updates, but I note for #11 that a 'bobby trapped' car doesn't sound that threatening... ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado
Posts: 1886
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Arbok » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:00 am

Zarm wrote:I dig the Zone Fighter updates, but I note for #11 that a 'bobby trapped' car doesn't sound that threatening... ;)


Oops, fixed, thanks for pointing it out!

Also glad to hear people are enjoying the Monster Bios. A lot of work goes into each (which makes it harder to do them and the daily update rate), but feel they are worthwhile and the traffic backs that up on them.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Zarm » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 am

Arbok wrote:Also glad to hear people are enjoying the Monster Bios. A lot of work goes into each (which makes it harder to do them and the daily update rate), but feel they are worthwhile and the traffic backs that up on them.


Absolutely- they're the best!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8938
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby SpaceG92 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 am

The recent Bagan bio. updates really peaked my interest. This only reinforces his status as "ascended meme". The number of "better luck next time pal" attempts continues to grow.

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:26 am

They're the reason sites like Wikizilla and Rodan's Roost just can't compete. Really good stuff, even if most of the cut content is focused on the Heisei era. The ideas and concepts of that series were the best things to come from it anyways. :p
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian
Posts: 1765
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 am

The site has a comic creations section? Cool bio on the Death Jackals by the way.
King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.


SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Man, I can't believe this series that started as a condemnation of nuclear weapons, Cold War arm races and called for humanity coming together MIGHT DARE TO BE (le gasp) political

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Zarm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:53 am

Hmmmmm... I enjoyed the Gigan analysis, but I think it's selling his durability short. For instance, the fact that in Zone Fighter, he was stated to be weakened by his battle in vs. Megalon to begin with, then survived a beatdown by Godzilla in an already-weakened state, THEN revived again and fought Zone Fighter for a time before being dispatched by the meteor missile attack. I mean, that's kinda like coming up to Rocky at the end of Rocky V, when he's still got after-effects of the Rocky IV bout AND just gone through a huge streetfight with what's-his-face, and punching him out, then claiming he's not a very good fighter because of how easy you could beat him down.

Plus, the battle in vs. Megalon arguably appears to last a few hours during which Gigan hangs tough, and despite his attempts to flee and repeatedly being knocked out of the air, he doesn't demonstrate appreciable weakness or injury levels after taking them. I dunno- I think the guy's a lot tougher than his attempts at retreat give him credit for. And we've never seen a start-to-finish from full health to defeat of what it takes to actually take him down... only what can finally defeat him after he's suffering the legacy of two different battles.


Nonetheless, still a great analysis, and a lot of fun!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 am

Zarm wrote:Hmmmmm... I enjoyed the Gigan analysis, but I think it's selling his durability short. For instance, the fact that in Zone Fighter, he was stated to be weakened by his battle in vs. Megalon to begin with, then survived a beatdown by Godzilla in an already-weakened state, THEN revived again and fought Zone Fighter for a time before being dispatched by the meteor missile attack. I mean, that's kinda like coming up to Rocky at the end of Rocky V, when he's still got after-effects of the Rocky IV bout AND just gone through a huge streetfight with what's-his-face, and punching him out, then claiming he's not a very good fighter because of how easy you could beat him down.

Plus, the battle in vs. Megalon arguably appears to last a few hours during which Gigan hangs tough, and despite his attempts to flee and repeatedly being knocked out of the air, he doesn't demonstrate appreciable weakness or injury levels after taking them. I dunno- I think the guy's a lot tougher than his attempts at retreat give him credit for. And we've never seen a start-to-finish from full health to defeat of what it takes to actually take him down... only what can finally defeat him after he's suffering the legacy of two different battles.


Nonetheless, still a great analysis, and a lot of fun!

When was it mentioned he was weakened by the fight in Megalon?
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Zarm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 am

Lain Of The Wired wrote:When was it mentioned he was weakened by the fight in Megalon?


Point; that is what I have always been informed. Lacking any english subtitles for Zone Fighter, I have no idea whether that was original dialogue or fanon assumption. (Since I am rather reliant on fan translations for info about what's happening onscreen). To the best of my knowledge, it was exposited that he fell into the Garoga's hands while still recovering from that battle... but only a Japanese-speaker can confirm or deny that, I suspect.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:even if most of the cut content is focused on the Heisei era. The ideas and concepts of that series were the best things to come from it anyways. :p

Honestly, thats pretty true; like how awesome kaiju like Anguirus were cut because of being four-legged and lack of beams. :D
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4752
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby GigaBowserG » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Grimlock#1 wrote:These past two updates regarding Godzilla vs. Barubaroi have been absolutely phenomenal. I love updates that feature Lost/Cut concepts because of the wild ideas that were actually considered for the big screen. I never knew that there was an Anguirus Hound, and I was surprised to see that a concept art piece that I long thought was Anguirus himself was actually the Anguirus Hound. Keep up the good work, Joshua, it's very much appreciated. I'm excited and eager to learn about Godzilla vs. Giant Monster Varan.


Somehow totally missed this -- thank you! Very glad to hear you've been enjoying the ride :) I like to knock out as many related lost projects as I can, so Godzilla vs. Varan will certainly happen eventually.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:They're the reason sites like Wikizilla and Rodan's Roost just can't compete. Really good stuff, even if most of the cut content is focused on the Heisei era. The ideas and concepts of that series were the best things to come from it anyways. :p


That's my bad, I completely underestimated just how many unmade Heisei movies there were (and how many of them were connected); originally I started work on the lost project section simply to update the existing pages to the newer format! Anthony already got to a majority of unmade Showa projects, but one day they'll get reformatted to the new template with a bit more coverage.

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Honestly, thats pretty true; like how awesome kaiju like Anguirus were cut because of being four-legged and lack of beams. :D


Cut because of lack of a beam, no. But cut due to being on all fours, yes. Anguirus's low body wouldn't really work out in melee combat, at least not with how Heisei Godzilla's designed. I don't think Kawakita had a particular fondness for Anguirus (or Rodan), both monsters had to be suggested by Shinji Nishikawa before being seriously looked into. Rodan got lucky since he could fly, so battle scenes with him were easier to do.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
Grimlock#1
Samurai
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: On my computer, of course
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Grimlock#1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:18 pm

So are future monster bio updates going to be just Zone Fighter-related up until they're done or will there be an occasional movie or even anime monster bio updated in between the ZF monsters?
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"

Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.


"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

User avatar
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 11515
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: the Wired

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 pm

Yeah forever waiting for the titans... Especially rogue
Image
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4752
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby GigaBowserG » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:41 pm

Grimlock#1 wrote:So are future monster bio updates going to be just Zone Fighter-related up until they're done or will there be an occasional movie or even anime monster bio updated in between the ZF monsters?


The Monster Bios in general are usually done by Anthony; the ZF info was sent to me by MM, and was my first foray into that part of the site. I'd actually planned something else in place of these last 2 ZF bio updates, but something came up on my end delaying the new pages. But other monster bios will definitely be going up in between the ZF stuff. (The last few have been Kong: Skull Island monsters.)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

User avatar
MM Raids Again
Futurian
Posts: 1686
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby MM Raids Again » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:53 pm

Grimlock#1 wrote:So are future monster bio updates going to be just Zone Fighter-related up until they're done or will there be an occasional movie or even anime monster bio updated in between the ZF monsters?


I'm already planning on doing Godzilla: the Series once Zone Fighter is finished. Then, either starting the Sazer series or Guyferd. Not sure which.
Did you miss me?

User avatar
Grimlock#1
Samurai
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Location: On my computer, of course
Contact:

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Postby Grimlock#1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Oh man, I can't wait for the Godzilla: The Series bios. I know someone on here is eager for the Sazer series, but I can't remember their name. Are Mewtwo and Mew getting their bios updated too, and are other Pokémon from those movies getting bios too?
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"

Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.


"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"


Return to “Comments, Suggestions and Submissions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest