GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Wow another tired "le Godzilla 98 is cancer XDXDXDXD" meme. How original

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be. I never even saw it brought up as a criticism until his review. There's so much more that deserves criticism in the movie than that line.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Godzillian wrote:Wow another tired "le Godzilla 98 is cancer XDXDXDXD" meme. How original
Who are you quoting?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be.
Not to defend Doug Walker, but he claimed in later videos that old NC was all about trying to force memes and stupid inside jokes. I have no doubt that's what this was.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:I never understood the obsession with "that's a lot of fish." It's a harmless line. Pointless, maybe, but nowhere near as catastrophic as Doug Walker made it out to be.
Not to defend Doug Walker, but he claimed in later videos that old NC was all about trying to force memes and stupid inside jokes. I have no doubt that's what this was.
That's fair. I think it irritated me more that it caught on and people started treating it like a major flaw. I still see it all over the place. It's such a minor thing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

This movie came out when I was 6 years old, and I remember just being so stoked that we got an American made Godzilla flick. Looking back, it's a bad 90's movie and a worse Godzilla movie.

I've always been confused by Toho's approval/disapproval. They approved the design and I've heard they loved it, they approved everything about the script, but then shit on it when it came out. I guess that's just shrouded in mystery and no one will ever truly know how they feel.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

scottzilla wrote:This movie came out when I was 6 years old, and I remember just being so stoked that we got an American made Godzilla flick. Looking back, it's a bad 90's movie and a worse Godzilla movie.

I've always been confused by Toho's approval/disapproval. They approved the design and I've heard they loved it, they approved everything about the script, but then shit on it when it came out. I guess that's just shrouded in mystery and no one will ever truly know how they feel.
It's easier for Toho to put all the blame on Sony then acknowledge their hand in it

Chaotic-Strike
Yojimbo

Post by Chaotic-Strike »

scottzilla wrote:This movie came out when I was 6 years old, and I remember just being so stoked that we got an American made Godzilla flick. Looking back, it's a bad 90's movie and a worse Godzilla movie.

It was probably less of them "loving it" and more of them having a big budget American movie in production for years with no results. Dean and Roland would only do the job if they had complete control and Toho wanted to get the film off the ground after all the production trouble that happened with Jan De Bont.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

According to The Big Book of Japanese Monster Movies: The Lost Films about the Tristar sequel, Amy Pascal (that same evil witch that wants to make Spider-Man villain movies), said that if a film makes more than its budget it gets a sequel, qoute "its that simple". :facepalm: Everywhere there is bad ideas with Sony she is involved. Still glad this film never got a sequel.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I love this movie and it is my favorite Godzilla movie. I have watched it at lest 3 times a month since the VHS then DVD came out. Doing the math I'd say I have seen Godzilla 98 at least 684 times!
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

I don't know what happened -- maybe my taste is getting worse, maybe I stopped being so influenced by popular sentiment, maybe G14 made me go easier on G98 since it was no longer the only American G film -- but when I picked up G98 on Blu-ray for five bucks to fill the gap in my collection, I found myself not hating it at all when I graced it with a rewatch. :shrug:

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

Oddly enough, I find the idea of a sequel to this intriguing. It would've given us a monster for Zilla to fight, so that could have been cool if nothing else. And I have heard that the baby Zilla was intended to be more Godzilla-like upon growing up. I do like Zilla's design and do see where they were coming from in terms of redesigning Godzilla. Have him stand upright more and use a breath ray (which is what the cartoon did) and you've got yourself something decent.

Still for the best that a sequel never got made, though. My biggest issue with this film is the bland characters, and I don't have much faith that a sequel would've given us better.

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I will say that the cartoon was legit. It felt like Godzilla. If the original film had been anything like that, I think it would have been more well received.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I find it funny that not only did they mess up Godzilla but they also in a way messed up Minilla and Godzilla Jr.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Anyone starting to find this film much more forgivable now that we'll have a different origin Anime Godzilla film and Shin Godzilla (another new origin film). If you look at it that way, it's now all that terrible.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Cookson wrote:Anyone starting to find this film much more forgivable now that we'll have a different origin Anime Godzilla film and Shin Godzilla (another new origin film). If you look at it that way, it's now all that terrible.
I was just thinking of this the other day :lol: I still feel the design looks pretty awful for a Godzilla, and how he's so easily able to be killed. But a giant irradiated iguana seems pretty tame to what we've gotten so far. It was never the origin that really bothered me for this incarnation, so much as it was its design and powers (or lack thereof).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Cookson wrote:Anyone starting to find this film much more forgivable now that we'll have a different origin Anime Godzilla film and Shin Godzilla (another new origin film). If you look at it that way, it's now all that terrible.
Not really considering the "origin" wasn't what was wrong with Godzilla 1998...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The existence of those other movies doesn't improve the quality of the writing or direction of an existing one. It is still as badly told a story now as it was in 1998.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

^^^ Yeah, 98 is still an incredibly cynical, disrespectful flick.