IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
SickleFeather
Samurai

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by SickleFeather »

You know who i wouldn't mind to see take a shot at a Godzilla comic? Sophie Campbell.
I mean have you SEEN her artwork man, its gorgeous, and she is a big fan of Kaiju films too!
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

SickleFeather wrote:You know who i wouldn't mind to see take a shot at a Godzilla comic? Sophie Campbell.
I mean have you SEEN her artwork man, its gorgeous, and she is a big fan of Kaiju films too!
Here's a sample of her Gamera The Brave.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^Eh, I personally don't like how she draws people and it's even worse for kaiju. Very fat, very bolky and heavily stylized.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Heavily stylized art would be a good thing, IMO. Most Godzilla comics tend to go for a bland pseudo-realistic look by default, so seeing something different would be refreshing.

I'd love to see these artists do Godzilla comics for IDW. :D

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

The One and Only wrote:
SickleFeather wrote:You know who i wouldn't mind to see take a shot at a Godzilla comic? Sophie Campbell.
Here's a sample of her Gamera The Brave.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/496e834e5511 ... 1_1280.jpg
That's not Sophie Campbell, that's Marcus Andersson.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

IMO for the most part the limited series were better than the ongoing series, although they did get better with time. Kingdom of Monsters sucked, 'Godzilla' was alright and Rulers of Earth was pretty good. Although (and on TK I might get shit for this), I really didn't like how Matt Frank drew Godzilla. All the other monsters looked great, but something about his Godzilla just irks me.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Kingdom of Monsters was the reason why I stopped buying IDW's comics. It wasn't until Godzilla in Hell came that I started buying them again. Then Oblivion's bland story and half-assed artwork showed up and I was turned off from IDW's stuff for good. Reading old issues, I'm convinced that Godzilla in Hell and Half-Century War were the only comics that I can definitely say I enjoyed reading.

If I were to claim that I felt sad because IDW no longer has the comic book rights to Godzilla, then that would make me incredibly dishonest. I really don't care that it's finished. Sorry for those who want more, but for me, their comics were nothing more than time-wasters.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

It could be do to having been starving for Godzilla at the time but I never really hated Kingdom of Monsters. It the weakest at out the IDW main trilogy but I didn't mind it.

I would have loved a season 3 of Rulers of Earth however.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

miguelnuva wrote:I would have loved a season 3 of Rulers of Earth however.
Would've been a logical path to go. After the success of GODZILLA:GOES TO...HELL !, the goodwill with IDW and the G-Fans was majorly blown with Oblivion. The wrap up of Rulers of Earth left a few hints for the next series if it had happened to jump on while the they still had the rights.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Komenja wrote:
I wish there was an omnibus of IDW's entire run. I would buy that in a heartbeat.[
Woof. That'd be a biiiig book.
OK? Then they could do it by series. At least a collection of RoE.

I'm trying to find the book that collects the Marvel ones as well.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: OK? Then they could do it by series. At least a collection of RoE.
Soooo just the trade paperbacks then...?

There was supposed to be two big omnibuses for ROE's entire run but only Volume 1 made it out before IDW's license presumably ran out.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And (as someone trying to currently collect) volume 5 of the 6 regular collections is priced through the roof...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

The One and Only wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:I would have loved a season 3 of Rulers of Earth however.
Would've been a logical path to go. After the success of GODZILLA:GOES TO...HELL !, the goodwill with IDW and the G-Fans was majorly blown with Oblivion. The wrap up of Rulers of Earth left a few hints for the next series if it had happened to jump on while the they still had the rights.
Do we know for sure they've lost the rights? I can't find much information on that.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

IDW has been quiet in regards to the rights. Such a shame there's still so many monsters they didn't get a chance to use. I was looking forward to Maguma getting the same amount of glory that Gezora did.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I was hoping Oodako would have shown up. Oh well.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Somehow I got the impression that they were trying to get the rights to Minilla, but I never found out if it was going to be the 1960s version or the 2004 one. The latter would be my best guess, as it's more realistic as per the size ratio of baby compared to adult.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

mikelcho wrote:Somehow I got the impression that they were trying to get the rights to Minilla, but I never found out if it was going to be the 1960s version or the 2004 one. The latter would be my best guess, as it's more realistic as per the size ratio of baby compared to adult.
The rights for Minya include both versions. Toho just prefers that IDW use the newer designs of their kaiju over the older ones.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I've never been a comic book guy but I think I'm thinking to start with the rulers of earth series.. now for a casual reader such as myself do I pay the extra for hard copies or pay the $1.99 per digital copy on iBooks.. I've never been a fan of digital anything but.. it is cheaper and more convinent.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If it's easier for you, and you have a device you have no trouble reading on, I'd say just go with the digital versions.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I've never been a comic book guy but I think I'm thinking to start with the rulers of earth series.. now for a casual reader such as myself do I pay the extra for hard copies or pay the $1.99 per digital copy on iBooks.. I've never been a fan of digital anything but.. it is cheaper and more convinent.
Or get the trades on Amazon