Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I liked it. I thought it was overall more entertaining than Daredevil, though there are several things DD did better. I still think Luke Cage is overall my favorite though. It's got a great cast and loved the whole Blaxploitation aesthetic. It was also the overall more entertaining show. Haven't watched Jessica Jones but my dad didn't much care for it. It was too mopey for his taste so I doubt I'll enjoy it. Really looking forward to Punisher though. As many have said Castle and his story arc were easily the best thing about DD season 2.

I hate Facebook. I refuse to use it under any circumstance. Even the forum where I made a lot of good friends was shut down in favor of a Facebook page and that still wasn't enough to make me join. I had one a few years ago but I closed my account because I never used it. It's especially annoying getting friend requests from extended family and people I went to school with. I don't want them seeing the shit I like to post on social media. Hell those people didn't care about me in high school so why should I give them the time of day now. I have a Twitter and even an Instagram now but I refuse to use Facebook.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Haven't watched Jessica Jones but my dad didn't much care for it. It was too mopey for his taste so I doubt I'll enjoy it.
Jessica Jones doesn't get off to a great start - it is mopey, and a lot of time is wasted on over-long, pointless sex scenes - but it really picks up mid-season.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I think people give lawyers way too hard a time for being 'sleazy' or 'immoral'. The fact is our society literally could not function without them, and all the progress we've made in human rights, workers' rights, etc., would not have happened without them. There is no going back to a world without complicated laws, and with complicated laws you need a professional elite capable of understanding and relating them.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

The King Kong vs T-rex fight is one of the less interesting monster-related fights in film. My favorite goes to the giant squid scene from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954).
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:My favorite goes to the giant squid scene from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954).
YES. The best ever. (And especially ironic, considering how terrible it almost was.)

My own unpopular opinion: Star Trek Voyager was a truly fantastic show, the second best Star Trek produced (only due to the unignorable heights that several of the Next Generation episodes achieved.) Unlike the murkiness, unlikeable characters, and incredibly dull and annoying politics of Deep Space 9, Voyager embodied the Star Trek spirit with a likeable cast and exciting feel and fantastic production values, and was the last real Star Trek that the franchise has produced to date (with Discovery looking very unlikely to change that record).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I find Star Trek boring as hell and honestly believe the Abrams films are the best thing to come out of the franchise. Though I do have a soft spot for the original series and the Spock trilogy of films.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

The only thing I really like from Star Trek is Q.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

While I enjoy the original film very much, I like the newer reboot series of Planet of the Apes better.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I find Star Trek boring as hell and honestly believe the Abrams films are the best thing to come out of the franchise. Though I do have a soft spot for the original series and the Spock trilogy of films.
I agree , also I find the Borg pretty awesome.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

gvamp wrote:I think GMK is the worst modern Godzilla movie ever made.
I don't like it very much either and I hate G's design in it. I get a lot of shit for that opinion.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I think people give lawyers way too hard a time for being 'sleazy' or 'immoral'. The fact is our society literally could not function without them, and all the progress we've made in human rights, workers' rights, etc., would not have happened without them. There is no going back to a world without complicated laws, and with complicated laws you need a professional elite capable of understanding and relating them.
They are still evil folks we should always keep one eye open for at all times least they hoodwink you with this law or that law.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

Im not a big fan of the Nolan Batman movies, they are well made films with great actors but they aren't really for me. Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie .

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

ShinGi wrote:Im not a big fan of the Nolan Batman movies, they are well made films with great actors but they aren't really for me.
I agree (though I somewhat enjoy the first one).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ShinGi wrote:Im not a big fan of the Nolan Batman movies, they are well made films with great actors but they aren't really for me. Batman Returns is my favorite Batman movie .
I'm a big fan of The Dark Knight; but I think Batman Begins rushes through two movies' worth of plot, and the result is that it feels like a feature-length montage; and The Dark Knight Rises is just a mess. All three suffer to varying degrees from Nolan's tendency to over-explain everything in dialogue, and reduce most of the sub-text to text; he's really very condescending to his audience.

Batman Returns is my favorite, as well. Plot and theme weave together well, the performances are fantastic, and the Burton idiosyncrasies make it distinctive but still feel true to Batman tradition.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

On that note my family hates the Burton Batman films. My sister is normally a big fan of Burton's work but she can't stand his Batman films. Personally I find Batman Returns an ugly film with little to no redeeming qualities outside of some great production design.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:On that note my family hates the Burton Batman films. My sister is normally a big fan of Burton's work but she can't stand his Batman films. Personally I find Batman Returns an ugly film with little to no redeeming qualities outside of some great production design.
Are you talking literal ugliness or thematic ugliness?

Either way, I find it a movie that manages to find the beauty or the specialness in the ugly. It's basically tied with Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood as my favorite Tim Burton movies.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

A tad of both perhaps. I know that was probably the intent but I just don't like movies like that. It's a huge part of why I can't stand most horror movies.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:A tad of both perhaps. I know that was probably the intent but I just don't like movies like that. It's a huge part of why I can't stand most horror movies.
Gotcha.

As someone who's always felt like an outsider and a weirdo, that's a big part of why I took to early Tim Burton, and to a lot of horror (especially classic horror and body horror). Nobody understand me like Frankenstein's Monster and The Fly do. ;)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Saansilt wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I think people give lawyers way too hard a time for being 'sleazy' or 'immoral'. The fact is our society literally could not function without them, and all the progress we've made in human rights, workers' rights, etc., would not have happened without them. There is no going back to a world without complicated laws, and with complicated laws you need a professional elite capable of understanding and relating them.
They are still evil folks we should always keep one eye open for at all times least they hoodwink you with this law or that law.
That's just my point though, you haven't been hoodwinked, that was always just the law. If people don't like the laws that's a different story, but lawyers are just here to relate them. I don't really think they are any more immoral than any other group of people. I'm sure some exploit the law to satisfy their clients so they can attract more clients and make more money, but so do construction companies, restaurants, anyone really. It's just whenever people are in a bad legal situation, or a divorce, or something unpleasant of that nature, they have to deal with a lawyer. Hence we get the impression they are the ones knocking us down. But it's a just a job that needs doing.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Dude I kid. I acknowledge the necessity they are, but you have to admit it's a fun stereotype. We have dudes and dudettes like Atticus, and others that belong working at Lexcorp. C'est la vie, a person is not just one label.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688