Lost project discussion: Godzilla vs Barubaroi

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Lost project discussion: Godzilla vs Barubaroi

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

The main site added a page about it, so I figured making a thread about it here would be good.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... baroi.html
So, thoughts on this scrapped movie? Would you have liked to see it, or are you glad it never saw the light to day? What do you think about the titular monster, Barubaroi?

Personally, I would have probably liked it. Barubaroi seems really interesting, would have loved to see him on the big screen.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Re: Lost project discussion: Godzilla vs Barubaroi

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I'll be honest: I'm kinda glad this transformed into Godzilla vs Destoroyah later.

Assuming this would have been the final film of the Heisei era, this would have been an exponentially inferior ending to Godzilla vs Destoroyah. There really isn't any symbolism on Barubaroi's part, his various designs I'm seeing are... unimpressive (seriously, it's just a slightly tweaked Hedorah, even more so than Destoroyah), and the concept istelf is just... kind of lame. I suppose it's not much worse than some of the other Heisei films... but I wasn't a fan of the majority of them either.

Even if this wasn't going to be the final film of the Heisei era, it probably would have just added more needless bloat to it. So, yeah, at the end of the day... I don't feel any loss not seeing this film debut.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I would've loved to have seen Barubaroi, but only if we still ended up getting Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

To me, Barubaroi looks like it would've kind of like a daikaijufied version of The Thing:

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Would have been cooler to see considering the slightly more subtle symbolism in contrast to straight up naming the enemy "Destroyer." :lol: The movie would have probably still been a mess anyways but whatever.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The plot focusing on Commander Aso and his rivals within the UNGCC would have been potentially interesting, since I always felt his character was underused in the Heisei series. I suppose if he was the man to kill Godzilla, he'd have to be in the spotlight; though I'm not sure this movie would have worked very well as a finale to the Heisei continuity.

Disappointed to discover that Barubaroi is merely a Destoroyah prototype. I thought me he might have been more tightly connected to G54, perhaps being created by Dr. Yamane.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Ivo-goji wrote:Disappointed to discover that Barubaroi is merely a Destoroyah prototype. I thought me he might have been more tightly connected to G54, perhaps being created by Dr. Yamane.
Sadly not the case. Unlike some scrapped beasties, this one's really easy to see how it influenced the final product. So much was carried over into Destoroyah, and even the transforming aspect is similar to Orga's, so there's not a lot of creative wiggle room if Toho ever wanted to use this particular monster in the future for whatever reason.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'm more interested in the Angurius Hound. It would have been cool to not only get a new Angurius but also a sub species as well.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

It's interesting to note that even in these development stages, setting up Godzilla's death was an idea even at this point.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Honestly more interested in some of the designs than anything else because we've pretty much seen this executed in terms of Hedorah, Destroyah and Shin Gojira; marine monsters continually evolving. And despite the shit ending of Destroyah, GVD+GVH and Shin Gojira are all amongst the best Godzilla movies IMO.

However, I wish that some other monster adopted the power to absorb marine life, and other monsters in some capacity. We really haven't gotten that yet, and it would be cool to see a monster that's an eldritch abomination made from sea life. Later on you could do even more horrible things with it.

And yeah the Angurius hound is odd. I wonder if it was supposed to be smaller and more agile but less defensive.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Probably would've been a nightmare to actually make a Barubaroi suit.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SonOfGorgo wrote:Probably would've been a nightmare to actually make a Barubaroi suit.
Any worse than Biollante?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:And yeah the Angurius hound is odd. I wonder if it was supposed to be smaller and more agile but less defensive.
Anguirus: "What are you talking about? Godzilla vs. Gigan was the best movie! Any flaws rest solely in the stock footage! Maybe the problem is YOU!"

Anguirus Hound: "I can admit that there were some weak points in my performance..."
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Honestly the only interesting thing is the Anguirus Hound and Anguirus himself.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:Any worse than Biollante?
Maybe. Or even Hedorah all over again.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

While I'm more than happy with the final product that this project evolved into,GODZILLA Vs. DESTROYAH , I have to say Godzilla facing off with the kaiju equivilant of John Carpenter and Rob Bottin's alien terror opus would be quite interesting to see. Maybe not to finish off the Heisei Era, but a new threat much like the Biollante but just nasty. And no redeeming qualities.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Barubaroi is an interesting concept. I really like its origin

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The concept is an interesting one, and an opportunity to create a truly nightmarish kaiju. The human plot I'm not so sure about, but this could have been a good movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

I really like the concept and monster. If Barubaroi could ever see the light of day again, I believe he'd be a perfect fit in Shin Godzilla's universe.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

I've known about this project and monster ever since Toho Kingdom started posting about it, but never really looked into it until recently. Even though I like Destoroyah and all, I almost wish we'd gotten Barubaroi instead. Destoroyah's cool, but just sorta generic demon-y looking. As a continuously shapeshifting creature, not only mimicking but absorbing other life forms as it goes, Barubaroi had the potential to be a truly unique and even possibly scary beast, sort of like a kaiju-sized version of John Carpenter's The Thing. Not to mention seeing Anguirus during the Heisei series would've been nice (and a nice bookend as well, since he was Godzilla's first foe and all). Plus, the idea of having Commander Aso actually DO something in one of these movies, as opposed to just watching a giant screen and yelling at whoever's piloting Mechagodzilla/MOGERA, would've been nice too. This movie honestly had a lot of potential.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:I've known about this project and monster ever since Toho Kingdom started posting about it, but never really looked into it until recently. Even though I like Destoroyah and all, I almost wish we'd gotten Barubaroi instead. Destoroyah's cool, but just sorta generic demon-y looking. As a continuously shapeshifting creature, not only mimicking but absorbing other life forms as it goes, Barubaroi had the potential to be a truly unique and even possibly scary beast, sort of like a kaiju-sized version of John Carpenter's The Thing. Not to mention seeing Anguirus during the Heisei series would've been nice (and a nice bookend as well, since he was Godzilla's first foe and all). Plus, the idea of having Commander Aso actually DO something in one of these movies, as opposed to just watching a giant screen and yelling at whoever's piloting Mechagodzilla/MOGERA, would've been nice too. This movie honestly had a lot of potential.
Hideki Oka put a lot of heart into his story, I feel. He jotted down many notes in his script submission, mulling over the Oxygen Destroyer (which he refers to as an absolute weapon that's "TOP OF THE TOP"), the problems associated with reintroducing the weapon in a new movie as it conflicts with Serizawa's sacrifice from G1954, actually acknowledging Heisei Godzilla's feats (eating nuclear energy, tanking attacks from Mechagodzilla/Moguera, the power to swim freely in the deep sea and magma), even going over multiple alternatives of what could be used outside of the Oxygen Destroyer, and to not make the ending ambiguous where Godzilla disappears/goes missing.

By the by, the Barubaroi movie & monster bios are fairly outdated. Much more has been discovered since those pages were made, it's mostly a matter of translating all the new info.
/crawls back under rock