Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Plus, nothing that scale's going to be moving super-fluidly and quickly, anyways.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:They wanted the CG to give of the vibe of a man in a suit. The stiffness was completely intentional from what I've read.
Yep, im glad they did- makes him feel like Godzilla even more through CGI.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I also love the way his claws are positioned, as if he has the worst case of sunburn. This could also be another reference to the fact that the first Godzilla suit actor Haruo Nakajima based his walk on a H-bomb victim with painful burns.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Probably one of my favorite redesigns of Godzilla. I like how they rebooted the series with a twist, and it leaves the door open for future installments. No offense, but the redesign was good because to be honest since Heisei Godzilla hasn't really gotten any interest new powers or twists, beyond Burning Godzilla and the GMK incarnation.

Also, it's been confirmed Shin G overheats, not runs out of energy right? This makes a drastic change in how the monsters offensive capabilities are. I remember getting into an argument here with someone about how Shin G was weak cause the instant he exhausted his energy supply he was done, but that's now kind of irrelevant; it's not that he doesn't have the energy, it's that he overheats and was strategically waiting.

But ironically, the overheating actually gives purpose to Godzilla's spines. In the past it was always kinda figured that the spines stored energy. Now it seems like for Shin G it's used to dispel heat in addition to storing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

I still laugh that when I was a kid I always wanted Godzilla to fire a beam from his dorsal plates (mine was just a large beam), and that finally came true although in a better way then I had imagined.

Heck even the idea of a "imperfect" Godzilla (form 2 and 3) I remember as an idea I had for the GMK to return as just bones and organs crawling through Tokyo bay.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

I absolutely hate it. There's really nothing about it I like. The eyes and arms are way too small, it lacks any sort of emotion, it's legs look absurd, the tail is outright way too long. And forms 1 - 3 are just laughable. It's just not my cup of tea. I respect the fact that some people think it's the greatest design ever, but it does nothing for me. Sorry.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

scottzilla wrote:I absolutely hate it. There's really nothing about it I like. The eyes and arms are way too small, it lacks any sort of emotion, it's legs look absurd, the tail is outright way too long. And forms 1 - 3 are just laughable. It's just not my cup of tea. I respect the fact that some people think it's the greatest design ever, but it does nothing for me. Sorry.
I can see where your coming from; I always liked the design(s) but it was the powers that got me. I was shocked when I heard about tail beams and whatnot. But when I saw it in theaters I loved everything and I thought it was a nice take. I respect your opinions.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

I feel mixed about the design. I love how big it is, I actually like the tail and the spines. The head looks frightening and menacing. The arms are a bit too small as well as the eyes. I think giving it eyes like the GMK design would have been nice. It did lack some emotion and moved too slowly. Despite's my complaints I do like it overall.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Gojira1963 wrote:I think giving it eyes like the GMK design would have been nice.
They kinda gave him GMK eyes, when he's in atomic breath mode. I thought that was a nice touch.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Gojira1963 wrote:I think giving it eyes like the GMK design would have been nice.
They kinda gave him GMK eyes, when he's in atomic breath mode. I thought that was a nice touch.
I wouldn't really say his eyes are GMK-esque.

GMK has intensely cloudy eyes. Shin has fish eyes. When Shin begins to charge his beam (first firing) a protective membrane slides over to shield his eyes from the flash which also apparently protects from the blasts of laser guided bombs. The membrane appears to be an inky black and to an extent, metallic. (Going all off memory). Very different from cloudy white :P

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzillian wrote:I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character
I disagree. I see a great deal of pain and sadness in this incarnation. Certainly a lot more personality on display here than in the latter half of the Millennium series.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

eabaker wrote:
Godzillian wrote:I wish this version had some personality to it. A brick has more character
I disagree. I see a great deal of pain and sadness in this incarnation. Certainly a lot more personality on display here than in the latter half of the Millennium series.
I just didn't see that. Apart from the reaction Godzilla has to being wounded, I didn't see any sort of emotion or personality. It was more like a statue lumbering through the city. Some might enjoy that from their Godzillas, but I'm not a fan.

I've actually come to appreciate the movie more now. But I just can't get behind this version of the character.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

HeiseiGodzilla117 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
I just didn't see that. Apart from the reaction Godzilla has to being wounded, I didn't see any sort of emotion or personality. It was more like a statue lumbering through the city. Some might enjoy that from their Godzillas, but I'm not a fan.

I've actually come to appreciate the movie more now. But I just can't get behind this version of the character.
You don't see much of the emotion, but it's there.

Last edited by Cybermat47 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Yeah I have to say there was very little for me to actually feel for Godzilla in this film. The song just didn't cut it for me.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I don't buy the 'song represents Godzilla's actual emotions' bit. Even if it is so, that is (to me) a tremendously awful and lazy idea (seriously- in Final Wars, is Zilla feeling deeply regretful for the actions of his species causing him to lose everything because a snippet of 'We're All To Blame' is played?); and regardless, it doesn't actually mean that Godzilla is a good character showing deep emotions that he doesn't actually show because a cue on the soundtrack indicates they're there; by that logic, if I dubbed it with 'I Feel Pretty' from West Side Story, then Godzilla is deeply in love with something? If none of it exists in the performance and is only added in post, then it's not actually there in the character.

All of which to say- I don't actually dislike this Godzilla (although he's certainly nowhere near my favorites)- but the idea that we're being given some deep insight into his character by the soundtrack doesn't hold any water for me- and even if it was the director's intent, it does nothing to actually enhance the character as portrayed or give him more depth, just informs you what the director wanted to portray, and couldn't get enough emotion or visual nuance out of the character to actually communicate (thus having to resort to the soundtrack dubbing his motivations in in post)... which actually speaks worse of the character's emotion and depth and how well they are portrayed.
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Godzilla is first and foremost a plot device, not a character.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Godzilla can still be a character- this is just the first time we see this Godzilla. Im sure if we get a sequel he'll have more of a personality. I always view Godzilla as a character.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

:?:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

tbeasley wrote:Image
:?:
Hot...damn.

Checkmate "Shin GINO is unlike anything ever portrayed in the Godzilla character" people.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D