Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

This thread covers discussion of all the different forms.
So, what do you all think of this incarnation of Godzilla?

Personally, I don't really care much about Forms 1-3. They don't really stand out much to me, I guess they look cool, but Form 4 overshadows them heavily.

Form 4 is amazing, I love the whole angle of a Godzilla that truly looks like a radioactive abomination. It's powers are unique in a good way. Personality wise, it's lacking, but I feel like that's the point. It's not a typical animal, it's something radically different from everything we know, hence the lack of emotion. That is, except when it's hurt.

Form 5... they look cool? We have nothing to go off of with them, but that just makes them more interesting.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Honestly it's quickly becoming my favorite design. I actually like the forms a lot more than I use too. I was fairly ambivalent to him as a whole when the design was first revealed but seeing him in color and finally in action onscreen completely changed my mind.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

The design has really grown on me and is now among my favorites. Forms 1-3 are ok but I really like Form 4. Its power are really unique . Form 5 looked really creepy and reminded of a Xenomorph.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

One of my favorite Godzillas. He looks menacing and threating in all his forms. The only thing that is a bit much to me is his tail beam- the dorsal plate ultra rays look skreeonking badass. Definitely in my top 5 Godziller designs.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I like Form 2 a lot even if it doesn't particularly look like Godzilla. The fourth form is ugly, but a decent Godzilla design. Aside from the design, though, I'm really not a fan of this version of Godzilla at all. I appreciate them trying something different, but it's up there with the worst incarnations for me. I hate the asexual reproduction. I hate the tail and back lasers. I dislike the rapid evolution. I think what I hate the most, though, is that form 5 isn't really even Godzilla anymore. This version of the character reminds me more of Hedorah or Destoroyah than any previous Godzilla. Again, I appreciate that they were trying something new, but it just fell flat for me.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Shares being my favorite incarnation with Legendary, I kinda like that they act like counterparts to each other. As much as people complain about his weird abilities, I love that he actually developed them to overcome an obstacle that may get his way.

The third form is probably my favorite of the five forms, which I was little sad to see that he had the least screentime.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Honestly I'm not really impressed with this incarnation.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I'm still not sure where I'd put it on the list, but it's undoubtedly the most bizarre of them all.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Easily my favourite incarnation of Godzilla yet. The evolutionary forms are fascinating, and the fourth form looks exactly like Godzilla was meant to look like in 1954 - the scarred victim of a nuclear bomb.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

We have seen other monsters such as Hedorah and Destroyer that went through forms before it's final stage so having Godzilla himself go through stages was very creative. I liked it. He didn't stay in the lower forms long and that was cool too.

I do like the final form. Wish the eyes were different though. I have seen pics where fans made his eyes like the GMK Goji and I thought that looked pretty cool.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

The most relevant Godzilla since the 50's. Probably the best looking one too from an effects point of view.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Best design. Not executed well as some other ones but I think it has the best "look." I love the first forms too. They were super cute.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Hedorah 2.0, can't go wrong with that
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

dragongora
Monsterland Worker

Post by dragongora »

The last two forms was cool.
Dragons don't die, we just bleed

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I agree, Form 2 is cool and all, but Form 3 was better IMO
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Fairly lazy design, to be honest. Looks like volcanic rock shaped vagually into a humanoid shape and given teeth, spines, a tail, and stupidly tiny arms. On that note, it's a terribley proportioned design too. The arms are useless and barely visible, the legs are thicker than the infamous "thunder thigh" Heisei monsters that people claim to hate so much. The neck is too long (especially in Form 3), the eyes too small,the chest too thin, and the tail ridiculously massive.

I'll be honest: The suit from Son of Godzilla is crafted better than this thing.

It doesn't look better in motion either. In fact it hardly moves at all. People give the Heisei era crap about immobile monsters, but Shin is essentially a walking statue.

Oh well. Kamata Kun is cute at least. I have a soft spot for that bugger.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: It doesn't look better in motion either. In fact it hardly moves at all. People give the Heisei era crap about immobile monsters, but Shin is essentially a walking statue.
That cannot be. I have it on good authority from the forums on a website called Toho Kingdom that CGI is and always will be infinitely superior to suitmation because of the broad range of motion that it provides kaiju. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Still a lovely designed form after a whole year.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I really liked this Godzilla because he showed that even CGI isn't perfect ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They wanted the CG to give of the vibe of a man in a suit. The stiffness was completely intentional from what I've read.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983