Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, the Godzilla anime trilogy and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:24 pm

This thread covers discussion of all the different forms.
So, what do you all think of this incarnation of Godzilla?

Personally, I don't really care much about Forms 1-3. They don't really stand out much to me, I guess they look cool, but Form 4 overshadows them heavily.

Form 4 is amazing, I love the whole angle of a Godzilla that truly looks like a radioactive abomination. It's powers are unique in a good way. Personality wise, it's lacking, but I feel like that's the point. It's not a typical animal, it's something radically different from everything we know, hence the lack of emotion. That is, except when it's hurt.

Form 5... they look cool? We have nothing to go off of with them, but that just makes them more interesting.
King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Man, I can't believe this series that started as a condemnation of nuclear weapons, Cold War arm races and called for humanity coming together MIGHT DARE TO BE (le gasp) political

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2016)

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:32 pm

Honestly it's quickly becoming my favorite design. I actually like the forms a lot more than I use too. I was fairly ambivalent to him as a whole when the design was first revealed but seeing him in color and finally in action onscreen completely changed my mind.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Postby ShinGi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:29 am

The design has really grown on me and is now among my favorites. Forms 1-3 are ok but I really like Form 4. Its power are really unique . Form 5 looked really creepy and reminded of a Xenomorph.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am

One of my favorite Godzillas. He looks menacing and threating in all his forms. The only thing that is a bit much to me is his tail beam- the dorsal plate ultra rays look skreeonking badass. Definitely in my top 5 Godziller designs.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

HeiseiGodzilla117
E.S.P.Spy

Postby HeiseiGodzilla117 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:44 am

I like Form 2 a lot even if it doesn't particularly look like Godzilla. The fourth form is ugly, but a decent Godzilla design. Aside from the design, though, I'm really not a fan of this version of Godzilla at all. I appreciate them trying something different, but it's up there with the worst incarnations for me. I hate the asexual reproduction. I hate the tail and back lasers. I dislike the rapid evolution. I think what I hate the most, though, is that form 5 isn't really even Godzilla anymore. This version of the character reminds me more of Hedorah or Destoroyah than any previous Godzilla. Again, I appreciate that they were trying something new, but it just fell flat for me.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Postby Tyrant28 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:10 pm

Shares being my favorite incarnation with Legendary, I kinda like that they act like counterparts to each other. As much as people complain about his weird abilities, I love that he actually developed them to overcome an obstacle that may get his way.

The third form is probably my favorite of the five forms, which I was little sad to see that he had the least screentime.
MrRockett wrote:They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Dracosaurian
Interpol Agent

Postby Dracosaurian » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Honestly I'm not really impressed with this incarnation.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm still not sure where I'd put it on the list, but it's undoubtedly the most bizarre of them all.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Postby Cybermat47 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:23 am

Easily my favourite incarnation of Godzilla yet. The evolutionary forms are fascinating, and the fourth form looks exactly like Godzilla was meant to look like in 1954 - the scarred victim of a nuclear bomb.

Gojira1963
Futurian

Postby Gojira1963 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:39 pm

We have seen other monsters such as Hedorah and Destroyer that went through forms before it's final stage so having Godzilla himself go through stages was very creative. I liked it. He didn't stay in the lower forms long and that was cool too.

I do like the final form. Wish the eyes were different though. I have seen pics where fans made his eyes like the GMK Goji and I thought that looked pretty cool.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:39 pm

The most relevant Godzilla since the 50's. Probably the best looking one too from an effects point of view.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

BooLugosi
G-Grasper

Postby BooLugosi » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Best design. Not executed well as some other ones but I think it has the best "look." I love the first forms too. They were super cute.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 am

Hedorah 2.0, can't go wrong with that
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

dragongora
Yin-Yang Master

Postby dragongora » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:23 pm

The last two forms was cool.
Dragons don't die, we just bleed

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Lain Of The Wired » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:29 pm

I agree, Form 2 is cool and all, but Form 3 was better IMO
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:24 am

Fairly lazy design, to be honest. Looks like volcanic rock shaped vagually into a humanoid shape and given teeth, spines, a tail, and stupidly tiny arms. On that note, it's a terribley proportioned design too. The arms are useless and barely visible, the legs are thicker than the infamous "thunder thigh" Heisei monsters that people claim to hate so much. The neck is too long (especially in Form 3), the eyes too small,the chest too thin, and the tail ridiculously massive.

I'll be honest: The suit from Son of Godzilla is crafted better than this thing.

It doesn't look better in motion either. In fact it hardly moves at all. People give the Heisei era crap about immobile monsters, but Shin is essentially a walking statue.

Oh well. Kamata Kun is cute at least. I have a soft spot for that bugger.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:50 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:It doesn't look better in motion either. In fact it hardly moves at all. People give the Heisei era crap about immobile monsters, but Shin is essentially a walking statue.

That cannot be. I have it on good authority from the forums on a website called Toho Kingdom that CGI is and always will be infinitely superior to suitmation because of the broad range of motion that it provides kaiju. :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Postby ToxicLove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:55 am

Still a lovely designed form after a whole year.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:43 am

I really liked this Godzilla because he showed that even CGI isn't perfect ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:09 pm

They wanted the CG to give of the vibe of a man in a suit. The stiffness was completely intentional from what I've read.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Return to “Reiwa Era (2015-Present)”