Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Thought it'd be a nice time to start a speculation thread about the MonsterVerse's Mothra, so speculate away~

I predict that they'll keep her more akin to her Showa counterpart, only more natural, with a poisonous defense mechanism designed to deter predators. She'll be very toxic.

I also have a feeling she was the culprit of the Great Smog of London in '52
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Speculation: MOTHRA

Post by Godzilla165 »

I really want Mothra to be absolutely awe inspiring and downright beautiful. Just imagine a scene where a crowd of people look up and see Mothra flying overhead. Her wingspan shrouding the immediate vicinity in shadow, and her vibrant colors shining in the sunlight. Said people are all cautious and nervous, because a giant moth is flying above, but none of them are truly afraid.

Let Mothra inspire a sense of wonderment and, "hope" whenever she is onscreen.

#BotM

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

She's going to look like shit too.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Post by LegendaryMonster »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:She's going to look like shit too.
Uh what?

ebirah_scampi
Interpol Agent

Post by ebirah_scampi »

I just hope they don't kill off an imago Mothra and have her larva(e) succeed her. Actually I hope they don't kill off Mothra at all, she seems to die in every Godzilla film but Godzilla vs Mothra.
Last edited by ebirah_scampi on Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

No faeries. No ticket.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

ebirah_scampi wrote:I just hope they don't kill off an imago Mothra and have her larva(e) succeed her. Actually I hope they don't kill off Mothra at all, she seems to die in every Godzilla film but Godzilla vs Mothra.
They're probably going to do that for sure.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I think she's gonna be handled in a way similar to Kong. Huge animal worshiped by a cult. Sure, it's more boring than having mystical aspects but "MUH REALISM" so whatever. I hope they at least make her very beautiful.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Seriously its not like they confirmed they're going to be sticking to "realism". For all we know they might eventually move onto more mystical and aliens like the Showa series. I don't understand where people are getting this whole "realism" from in the first place? Even then that was thrown out the moment they introduced seemingly immortal human/plant hybrids. Tell me people? Please is there even anything like that close to real life? I'd like to know...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Seriously its not like they confirmed they're going to be sticking to "realism". For all we know they might eventually move onto more mystical and aliens like the Showa series. I don't understand where people are getting this whole "realism" from in the first place? Even then that was thrown out the moment they introduced seemingly immortal human/plant hybrids. Tell me people? Please is there even anything like that close to real life? I'd like to know...
I'm hoping you're right and I'd definitely love to see them introduce the mystical and alien into the Monsterverse. I guess I'm just feeling kinda pessimistic.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

BooLugosi wrote:I'm hoping you're right and I'd definitely love to see them introduce the mystical and alien into the Monsterverse. I guess I'm just feeling kinda pessimistic.
But seriously though. If they stay in that route, its gonna get boring pretty fast with all the monsters having the same origins being prehistoric/ancient leftovers. That's why it should go the Showa route.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
BooLugosi wrote:I'm hoping you're right and I'd definitely love to see them introduce the mystical and alien into the Monsterverse. I guess I'm just feeling kinda pessimistic.
But seriously though. If they stay in that route, its gonna get boring pretty fast with all the monsters having the same origins being prehistoric/ancient leftovers. That's why it should go the Showa route.
I concur. "Realistic and grounded" becomes stale after a while. Hell, I'd honestly like to see the Shobijin with no changes to them in this movie.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

BooLugosi wrote:I concur. "Realistic and grounded" becomes stale after a while. Hell, I'd honestly like to see the Shobijin with no changes to them in this movie.
Anyways though unless this was confirmed by WoG by Legendary, then I'll take in all these users claiming that the MonsterVerse is sticking to "realism" like its fact despite being only two movies in which again "realism" was thrown out the moment immortal human/plant hybrids were introduced.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am on board with having the Shobijin being psionic projections that Mothra projects into people's minds.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Man, I really have no idea if I want the Shobijin to be included or not... like none at all.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

But to stick to the main topic I'm just really hoping Mothra will be awe inspiring and beautiful especially in color as she's shown in previous installments. And true to her name, make her look like an actual moth rather then a butterfly.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Psychic mothra i'm cool with(although i'd much rather have psychic ghidorah), but tiny fairies are not something i think would fit. Maybe a pair of twins that have a psychic connection to mothra, just maybe not the size of dolls.
The problem with showa is how over the top and flashy it is, save for a few movies. Unrealism can be great, but showa is the unrealism equivalent of a firehose to the face. Not to say i don't love it, but i don't think it and the monsterverse would mix.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Psychic mothra i'm cool with(although i'd much rather have psychic ghidorah), but tiny fairies are not something i think would fit. Maybe a pair of twins that have a psychic connection to mothra, just maybe not the size of dolls.
The problem with showa is how over the top and flashy it is, save for a few movies. Unrealism can be great, but showa is the unrealism equivalent of a firehose to the face. Not to say i don't love it, but i don't think it and the monsterverse would mix.
If people today can accept a gun wielding talking raccoon and a humanoid tree, I think they can handle the whole Showa route as well. Not changing your opinion or anything just pointing that out is all.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:But to stick to the main topic I'm just really hoping Mothra will be awe inspiring and beautiful especially in color as she's shown in previous installments. And true to her name, make her look like an actual moth rather then a butterfly.
I actually kind of like butterfly Mothra. I know it doesn't make much sense, but Mothra is supposed to be pretty and moth wings don't have that same aesthetic loveliness IMO.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Psychic mothra i'm cool with(although i'd much rather have psychic ghidorah), but tiny fairies are not something i think would fit. Maybe a pair of twins that have a psychic connection to mothra, just maybe not the size of dolls.
If people today can accept a gun wielding talking raccoon and a humanoid tree, I think they can handle the whole Showa route as well. Not changing your opinion or anything just pointing that out is all.
I see people using that comparison a lot, but i don't think it's all that valid. Guardians of the galaxy set itself up as ridiculous fun immediately, and used a lot of comparison, in a sense. You see all these weird aliens and lifeforms right around the beginning of it, so when you see that it seems tame in comparison. Also, the fact that marvel already set itself up and was really popular was bound to attract audiences.

Here you have godzilla, who is very much toned down in ridiculousness (other than size) compared to showa. You have the human characters acting like regular human beings, so it feels a lot more real. Maybe if the monsterverse had set itself up differently, the showa route would work, but with the direction it's taken so far? I don't think showa will have a lot of influence.

Of course, I could always be wrong. I have zero influence in the long run. But from what i've seen, this is just what i think.