Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla Misconceptions You Like To Clear Up

Post by szmigiel »

Monsterland is what it is called in the Japanese version, Monster Island in the Dubs. They even show footage from DAM in GvsG directly. These movies have about as much continuity as Abbott and Costello or 3 Stooges. Each one is made to pretty much stand on it's own with limited connection to what came before them.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Of course, its so it doesn't alienate any new viewers
The Showa series does continuity better that way, unlike the Heisei series
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

szmigiel wrote:Monsterland is what it is called in the Japanese version, Monster Island in the Dubs.
Nope. Monsterland is the Ogasawara Island facility from DAM, Monster Island is an entirely different location in later films.
szmigiel wrote:They even show footage from DAM in GvsG directly.
...So? Stock footage's only purpose is to add onto existing scenes because the budget ran out to shoot new ones. It shouldn't be taken as evidence against the Showa series' continuity.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

szmigiel wrote:Monsterland is what it is called in the Japanese version, Monster Island in the Dubs. They even show footage from DAM in GvsG directly. These movies have about as much continuity as Abbott and Costello or 3 Stooges. Each one is made to pretty much stand on it's own with limited connection to what came before them.
That would be because of stock footage.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

szmigiel wrote:So lose that there are no reoccurring human characters, actors yes, but always playing new roles.
I find that explanation invalid. There have been plenty of film and television series that have reused actors. Both Colin Baker and Peter Capaldi (Not to mention so many other actors in other parts) played one-off roles before being cast as the Doctor on Doctor Who. But by your logic, since they were already seen prior, those seasons with them in different parts simply aren't canon with one another.
szmigiel wrote:Trapped in an ice avalanche on an island in a valley at the end of GRA, but floating in an iceberg at the beginning of KKvsG
Yeah, like I said, there are some irreconcilabilities, but I'm not sure if I'd consider that something so major, the films simply cannot connect.
szmigiel wrote:Adult Mothra in GvsSM, then back to Larva Mothra for DAM.
I kind of figured the adult Mothra in Sea Monster was the one seen in Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah all grown up. Again, that could explain her absence in Monster Zero. And can't the larvae in DAM just be her offspring? After all, it has been shown that Mothras have pretty short life spans (Born in 1961, about to die in 64).
szmigiel wrote:Then in ToMG they completely edit out King Caeser from the opening battle and never mention him at all.
The opening just serves as a recap of the basic events of the last movie, and can also serve as a quick explanation as to what happened for those who haven't seen the last film. Since King Seesar doesn't appear at all in TOMG, it'd be pointless to show him in the prologue, when unfamiliar viewers will be asking "Who's that dog guy?"

Episodic doesn't mean negative continuity.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I find that explanation invalid. There have been plenty of film and television series that have reused actors. Both Colin Baker and Peter Capaldi (Not to mention so many other actors in other parts) played one-off roles before being cast as the Doctor on Doctor Who. But by your logic, since they were already seen prior, those seasons with them in different parts simply aren't canon with one another.
My problem isn't with the reuse of actors, I have no issue with that at all.

My issue is that, other then Dr. Yamane in GRA, there is never a reoccurring character. They wouldn't need to be a major character, just a background character from time to time. Even the James Bond films have a few reoccurring characters other then Bond himself, some played by one actor over several films, others played by different actors each time. The Showa era has as much continuity as the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies, where the only thing that stays the same is Sinbad is the captain of a ship in an Arabian mythological setting.

I don't think the writes gave much thought to even having continuity between films, unless it was convenient to write it in. They were just as happy to ignore anything that didn't work into their plans for the current film. Prefect example is GTTHM and GvsMZ, it was convenient to use the events of GTTHM, but completely dropped Mothra since she was inconvenient. Same thing between GvsMG and ToMG, King Caesar was inconvenient and therefore dropped.

So lose to no continuity. For strong continuity the films need not to just ignore anything that is inconvenient. Heisei Godzilla films does a little better, the Heisei Gamera films do an excellent job.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

The shobijin are recurring. :)

But really, that's the makings of an anthology series, not a lack of continuity. These giant monsters affect the entire countryside; it's reasonable that different people's lives would be affected each time (especially as they often attack different regions), or that you could focus on different people among the affected thousands rather than the same ones all the time. recurring human characters was the route that Heisei chose to take; recurring monster characters with an anthology of human casts is the direction that Showa took.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Zarm wrote:The shobijin are recurring. :)
Your right on that, completely ignored the Peanuts Emi and Yumi Ito.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

UltramanGoji wrote:Nope. Monsterland is the Ogasawara Island facility from DAM, Monster Island is an entirely different location in later films.
Right. Plus Monsterland is near Japan in the North Pacific while Monster Island is described as being in the "faraway South Pacific".
Also in the Japanese dub (of DAM) a scientist states that the monsters were first brought to Monsterland "around 20 years ago". That would mean around 1979 since the film is set around 1999. That would be a few years after the events of Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

It only doesn't make sense if you dont understand it ;)

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Better late then never - but I think this needs to be posted every couple of months.
Mixotroph wrote:A mixotroph is an organism that can use a mix of different sources of energy and carbon, instead of having a single trophic mode on the continuum from complete autotrophy at one end to heterotrophy at the other.

Possible combinations are photo- and chemotrophy, litho- and organotrophy, auto- and heterotrophy or other combinations of these. Mixotrophs can be either eukaryotic or prokaryotic. They can take advantage of different environmental conditions.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

SpaceG92 wrote:Better late then never - but I think this needs to be posted every couple of months.
Mixotroph wrote:A mixotroph is an organism that can use a mix of different sources of energy and carbon, instead of having a single trophic mode on the continuum from complete autotrophy at one end to heterotrophy at the other.

Possible combinations are photo- and chemotrophy, litho- and organotrophy, auto- and heterotrophy or other combinations of these. Mixotrophs can be either eukaryotic or prokaryotic. They can take advantage of different environmental conditions.
Someone needs to ask Hideaki Anno to do a mega 3D short film of him saying this exact thing for everyone
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Godzilla vs. The Devil was real, and was covered up by the community
Heres the trailer https://youtu.be/dYYxBkFdW6o

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Godzilla vs. The Devil was real, and was covered up by the community
Published on Aug 16, 2016
Something I threw together over 10 years ago using the trailers for Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster & Godzilla vs. Megalon. I was lucky that both use the same announcer. Footage from Asylum of Satan, Satan's Children, Monsteroid!: It Came From The Lake, Magic Serpent, Return of the Giant Monsters, Terror of Mechagodzilla and few other G films. The font is from Frankenstein Conquers The World.
Please do a little more research before claiming something is real when the description disproves it immediately.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Godzilla vs. The Devil was real, and was covered up by the community
Published on Aug 16, 2016
Something I threw together over 10 years ago using the trailers for Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster & Godzilla vs. Megalon. I was lucky that both use the same announcer. Footage from Asylum of Satan, Satan's Children, Monsteroid!: It Came From The Lake, Magic Serpent, Return of the Giant Monsters, Terror of Mechagodzilla and few other G films. The font is from Frankenstein Conquers The World.
Please do a little more research before claiming something is real when the description disproves it immediately.
I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm
GO GO GOJI KUN

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

GoWhaleTours wrote: I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm
Pretty sure it was too.

There was no need to post that video or his post in this thread to begin with.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

SpaceG92 wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote: I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm
Pretty sure it was too.

There was no need to post that video or his post in this thread to begin with.
Who died and made you kin- (sees red font on username) nevermind.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

That the 1998 TriStar Godzilla is mutated from a marine iguana specifically and not just an iguana or some other kind of lizard in general. I've seen people assume or say this so many times without proper citation, it's not even funny.

Do any of the guidebooks or merchandise for Godzilla (1998) mention anything about marine iguanas? I need to know where people are getting this idea from.

I mean, it's even possible he might instead be a mutated green iguana, going off the fact that the nest his egg was in was guarded by one in the film's opening:

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

This made me bristle with anger for some reason. Some idiot on youtube said that, without a doubt, DCEU Superman could beat the strongest Godzilla incarnation.
At the very least, Godzilla would get him with atomic breath. If any of you watched BvS, you probably noticed that Supes was technically killed by the nuke they shot at him and Doomsday. I doubt atomic breath would be any different.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Yeah, there are versions of Godzilla that can blow up a planet, no way in hell would a version of Superman as low powered as DCEU Supes beat them. Earth One Supes sure, but not DCEU Supes.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.