Monster Discussion #46: Mothra (1992)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #46: Mothra (1992)

Post by gigan72 »

Resized Image
This is the discussion thread for Mothra. Discuss anything you would like to say about this creature here.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #46: Mothra (1992)

Post by Dannybeane »

A laser spewing giant plush toy makes for one of the worst screen versions of Mothra ever.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Dannybeane wrote:A laser spewing giant plush toy makes for one of the worst screen versions of Mothra ever.
I was gonna disagree and say ROM Mothra is the worst, but then I realized that this description fits that Mothra as well.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

StAiRcAsE KiTtY
Terminated
Terminated

Post by StAiRcAsE KiTtY »

My favorite iteration of Mothra by far. I just wish her prop had better movements.
You want a battle...
Here's a war!

RIP, Judas. An amazing idea, gone before it was created.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Staircase Kitty wrote:My favorite iteration of Mothra by far. I just wish her prop had better movements.
imo, She feels much better utilized in the RoM movies than in the 1992 one. Her wings actually bend, and she does appear very old. Still not a big fan of the design, but I can appreciate it there.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Not my favorite design of her, but still appreciated for her appearance in the series. It was alright, but not the best.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Not a bad update for Mothra but def a bit on the plushy side. When they tweaked the design for ROM that's when they nailed it.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Easily the worst design of Mothra on screen yet and a sociopathic Mothra at that.
Godzilla

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Warning spelling errors ahead

I like this design it looks like a bombyx Mori moth I mean just look at the larva just make the mouth the head and color it white and whala and the adult looks like one to rainbow mothra a little more but still good the wings are the same as the Showa and the lasers make mothra more than just a big moth and I kinda like the bird. Feet they actually look like they can grab stuff again rainbow mothra did this better but its still good the lightning from her wings is cool to and the slow flap sounds better with the sound she makes when flying. Don't be mad I just wanted to say somethin

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's not the best or the worse. It looks like a toy, but the coloring of the wings is good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzilla Mothra
Yojimbo

Post by Godzilla Mothra »

I love this design. I'm surprised it isn't more well received.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

This Mothra really seemed to lack personality unlike the Showa and later ROM and Millennium Mothra who had it in spades

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Agreed. Battra was more fleshed out as a character that Mothra.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

A pretty dull version of everyone's favorite godly lepidopteran. Her larval form was quite nice and had really fluid effects, but the Imago is just plain stupid. She looks like a giant living plush and those chicken legs are way off. Plus, this Mothra's characterization is kinda lacking when compared to her Showa and Millenium counterparts.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

As I think I already asked in my review, has anyone- amongst the obsessive power-listing, trivia-oriented segments of fandom that provide the fuel for all our debates- ever tried to list and quantify all of Mothra separate powers from The Rebirth of Mothra trilogy?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Ah! I only ever found the regular Mothra page; my mistake. And... wow, yeah, they really DID catalogue the entire list. That's impressive!

Thanks!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Pretty much everything interesting about this Mothra is borrowed from the '60s films, but less charmingly executed because the movie is so cluttered and nowhere near as tightly filmed. The prop is probably the most lifeless rendition of Mothra as well.

Not terrible, but in an alternate universe where the '92 movie was Mothra's first outting, not only would its script and mythology seem even more cluttered and insane, she probably wouldn't be the memorable or iconic character she is today.

The Royal SCP
Yojimbo

Post by The Royal SCP »

Please don't hate on me, but GMK is the worst one and ROM/Tokyo SOS/Battle For Earth is the best one, in my opinion, for the design!
The TRUE Royal SCP

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

The Royal SCP wrote:Please don't hate on me, but GMK is the worst one and ROM/Tokyo SOS/Battle For Earth is the best one, in my opinion, for the design!
What makes GMK the worst one for you? I must say, I rather liked the agility of it. Hardly my favorite Mothra, but...

Maranatha!