Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Post by Mechagigan »

It's tough to say much about this one that hasn't been expressed before - it's fun, creative, and though a bit cheesy, still a really fun ride regardless.

There's just so much there; not only do we have a confusing, but nonetheless very original time-travel plot, but we have Godzilla's backstory, an amazing return for Ghidorah, interesting upgrades for both monsters, enjoyable characters, pretty good fights and effects... it's a load of plain and simple fun.

It doesn't have the atmosphere or action present in Biollante, and the change in genre is certainly one that doesn't transition smoothly - at least, by comparison. It's two predecessors are generally dark, while this goes for a more fantastic plot.

Yet, GvKG knows what it wants to do, and goes for it - it doesn't concern itself being held back by RoG's countless outbursts of character drama, nor by GvB's bounds to a semi-grounded reality. In an almost Showa-esque style, it goes headfirst into a world of fantasy and awe, and brings us along for the ride. And, hell, it's a really, really upbeat one. Not every character has all the exposition in the world, and there's plenty of bouts of unnecessary cheese, but once again; you just can't repel the pure energy the movie has.

It isn't perfect by any means, but it's one that'll keep you coming back for all it offers.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Here is a deleted scene if anyone is interested
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Sat May 06, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix'd broken embed

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Kind of cool, but I definitely prefer what we got. The shots of Godzilla's head rising over the cliff, passing by the farm, and tearing through the power lines are much more interesting than a simple shot of him walking. One of my favorite G entrances in the series, too, though pretty much anything would admittedly be awesome when set to that slow, dramatic variant of the March.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

That deleted scene is pretty cool, but yeah I prefer what we got.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

three
Keizer

Post by three »

JAGzilla wrote:^ Kind of cool, but I definitely prefer what we got. The shots of Godzilla's head rising over the cliff, passing by the farm, and tearing through the power lines are much more interesting than a simple shot of him walking. One of my favorite G entrances in the series, too, though pretty much anything would admittedly be awesome when set to that slow, dramatic variant of the March.
precisely. and hey, the guy in that lighthouse was packing serious heat for it to blow up like that, mm?

but yea, Godzilla slowly walking through a rural sea village was cooler, and i want my casket carried to that version of the march.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

three wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:^ Kind of cool, but I definitely prefer what we got. The shots of Godzilla's head rising over the cliff, passing by the farm, and tearing through the power lines are much more interesting than a simple shot of him walking. One of my favorite G entrances in the series, too, though pretty much anything would admittedly be awesome when set to that slow, dramatic variant of the March.
precisely. and hey, the guy in that lighthouse was packing serious heat for it to blow up like that, mm?

but yea, Godzilla slowly walking through a rural sea village was cooler, and i want my casket carried to that version of the march.
Maybe it was a gas powered light house ?
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

three wrote:and hey, the guy in that lighthouse was packing serious heat for it to blow up like that, mm?
Still not as big as the explosion of M-11's car.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I'm still wondering what is THAT thing running just before M-11 miserably fails to rip off his jacket.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Destorogoji wrote:I'm still wondering what is THAT thing running just before M-11 miserably fails to rip off his jacket.
Also: why does he rip the sleeve of his burning jacket
and then just take the jacket off?
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think I remember reading about that in G-Fan; he was supposed to rip the jacket apart, but the fire spread too fast so he just took it off.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The more I think about it, Godzilla would've easily beat King Ghidorah if he decided to or had the power to keep using that purple spiral beam. MKG probably would've suffered the same fate.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I use to really love this film. While I still think it's one of the better entries in the series you can really tell that Kawakita's work was beginning to suffer from his personal problems. It many ways it was the beginning of the downfall of the Heisei era. It still has some inventive camera work and some really cool sequences.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Why did the future people stop in 1992 instead of travelling directly from 2204 to 1944?

The plot is insane.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Yep. There was absolutely no reason to stop in the 1990s. The Futurians had everything they needed to successfully complete their mission and the Japanese characters of the 90s offered nothing of value.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^Not so. They needed Miki to identify the Godzillasaurus as the RoG Godzilla and getting Terasawa along for the ride made sense given that their plan depended on his theory about Godzilla's origins being true; if Godzilla wasn't where they expected him to be they would need to figure out other possible locations. Bringing the people from 1992 along ensured that they're scheme would succeed (so they thought). Plus there was a personal motive for Emmy, who wanted to meet her ancestor Terasawa.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Not that I think the plot is perfect. But they didn't want to control post war Japan, they wanted to control 90s Japan. Right before it became the unstoppable economical super power no government could stop. Plus they needed time for King Ghidorah to grow to full size.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Don't quite a few psychics exist in the Heisei timeline? Why would they need Miki specifically? And why would Emmy want to meet Terasawa over any other ancestor? Didn't she say his book didn't sell well? I'd imagine she would have mentioned if he did anything else worthwhile in his lifetime.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

kamilleblu wrote:Don't quite a few psychics exist in the Heisei timeline? Why would they need Miki specifically? And why would Emmy want to meet Terasawa over any other ancestor? Didn't she say his book didn't sell well? I'd imagine she would have mentioned if he did anything else worthwhile in his lifetime.
I think she was indicated as the most powerful, in vs. Spacegodzilla, for instance. Plus, she's had a direct psychic link with Godzilla in the previous film.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

kamilleblu wrote:Don't quite a few psychics exist in the Heisei timeline? Why would they need Miki specifically? And why would Emmy want to meet Terasawa over any other ancestor? Didn't she say his book didn't sell well? I'd imagine she would have mentioned if he did anything else worthwhile in his lifetime.
Miki's the only psychic in the series who'd made mental contact with Godzilla, Terasawa was Emmy's only ancestor who authored a book about Godzilla's origins. It doesn't matter if the book sold well or not, it was the theory the Futurians based their plan around.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Miki "touched Godzilla mind" trying to stop, and failing, to enter Osaka in the previous film. So she was the one to best identify if it was the right one or not.
Emi was the one that said she wanted to meet him in the film. Why over any other ancestor? Her reasons are not given.