IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Tim85
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by Tim85 »

I really wish that Toho would say why they won't allow Godzilla in any crossovers. I don't care if the explanation is total horse crap. When you just get a "no" and that's it; that's not good enough for me. I'm sorry. Tell us why.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I believe it was said that Toho just doesn't want to do the back and forths with other companies. "They can do this to Godzilla!"... "Well Godzilla can do this to *insert property* ... "No, that won't do. We don't like *insert property* doing that to Godzilla" ... "Well Godzilla can't do that to this *insert property*...

Meanwhile, IDW just stands between them with their eyes looking back and forth.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Tim85 wrote:I really wish that Toho would say why they won't allow Godzilla in any crossovers. I don't care if the explanation is total horse crap. When you just get a "no" and that's it; that's not good enough for me. I'm sorry. Tell us why.
Maybe they don't want Godzilla to lose to other characters in crossovers perhaps?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Tim85 wrote:I really wish that Toho would say why they won't allow Godzilla in any crossovers. I don't care if the explanation is total horse crap. When you just get a "no" and that's it; that's not good enough for me. I'm sorry. Tell us why.
Maybe they don't want Godzilla to lose to other characters in crossovers perhaps?
Toho needs to grow up with how they deal with Godzilla or go ahead and over power him even more. None of us are going to start hating Godzilla is Optimus Prime found anway to hurt him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

From what I recall, it's that they're trying to take Godzilla into a more serious direction for western audiences. That's why they declined NECA's requests to make figures based off the Marvel and Hanna-Barbera designs.

Or it may also be about dual-ownership rights, i.e. Toho might want complete ownership of all things related to Godzilla these days, which I don't necessarily blame them for.

I don't have a source for any of these (maybe kpa posted about them somewhere), just my own personal speculation.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Got Godzilla in Hell as a gift, really good comic. It was all 5 issues in one. Definitely one of my favorites.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Hope IDW makes more Godzilla comics I'd be a shame I'd they chose not too. Can't help but feel Godzilla Oblivion cashed them to get cold feet with the license, Quick note the Godzilla Rage Across Time isn't on preorder anymore on Amazon so grab the trade of that while you can

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

miguelnuva wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Toho needs to grow up with how they deal with Godzilla or go ahead and over power him even more. None of us are going to start hating Godzilla is Optimus Prime found anway to hurt him.
Godzilla would be no match for the Transformers. There are too many combiner Transformers that are a lot bigger than him. Not to mention ones that can turn into cities.
God bless, Jason Irelan

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

IDW's on my shit list. It's done, their contract is up with Godzilla, and not one. NOT ONE mention of a giant walrus or a cameo of Maguma? FUCK this. Get this shit to the book burning pile.
Spoiler:
I fucking LOVED Rulers of Earth. THAT'S how a Godzilla cinema universe should be.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I really wasn't sure where to post this, but I restored my IDW digital purchases on my iphone, and now the reading experience seems downgraded. I remember it used to be that you could sweep panel to panel, and now you can't, unless I'm doing something wrong? Does anyone know?

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LockBite wrote:I really wasn't sure where to post this, but I restored my IDW digital purchases on my iphone, and now the reading experience seems downgraded. I remember it used to be that you could sweep panel to panel, and now you can't, unless I'm doing something wrong? Does anyone know?
If you're using Comixology, I think you just double-tap on the panel to switch to panel mode.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I use the IDW app. That's where all my purchases are, plus comiXology is missing most of the Godzilla comics.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Man, I'm way behind on these.... im going to use comiX for some of these and the new Kong stuff.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

LockBite wrote:I use the IDW app. That's where all my purchases are, plus comiXology is missing most of the Godzilla comics.
I bought all of IDW's run on comixology.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Ah, found it. How do I purchase it?

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

So, any new updates on another IDW Godzilla comic series yet?
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

CyberZilla wrote:So, any new updates on another IDW Godzilla comic series yet?
If there was, the last post in this thread wouldn't be a month old.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:
CyberZilla wrote:So, any new updates on another IDW Godzilla comic series yet?
If there was, the last post in this thread wouldn't be a month old.
Honestly, ya never know. Had to check.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It seems like a lot of the collected trades of the comics are going out of print. Get them now while you can!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I wish there was an omnibus of IDW's entire run. I would buy that in a heartbeat.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda