The Toho vampire trilogy

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

The Toho vampire trilogy

Post by mikelcho »

Does anyone know whether or not Toho's vampire films ( i.e., The Vampire Doll ( 1970 ), Lake of Dracula ( 1971 ) and Evil of Dracula ( 1974 ) ) have ever been released in the U.S.? I really don't know that much about them and even Wikipedia has no articles about any of them. Any and all information would be most appreciated. Thank you. UPDATE: I think I remember seeing in an old British book on horror movies from the 1970s that at least one of them-Lake of Dracula-made it to the U.K. Other than that, I know nothing more. Is there anyone out there that can help me out on this subject?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Re: The Toho vampire trilogy

Post by Desghidorah »

To my knowledge they were released, but the title for the first one got changed to "The Night of the Vampire" or "Fear of the Ghost House: Bloodsucking Doll".

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I heard somebody say vampires. I'm very interested in this now. Any releases on video that anybody knows of?

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Found this on eBay, if anyone is interested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAMPIRE-DOLL-19 ... Sw3v5Yqx4c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAKE-OF-DRACULA ... Swr~lYqx9E
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVIL-OF-DRACULA ... SwWxNYqx~v
Guy's from France, but ships worldwide and has a lot of japanese films with english subtitles.
Never bought from him, but it looks like he has a good rating on eBay.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

Destorogoji wrote:Found this on eBay, if anyone is interested:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAMPIRE-DOLL-19 ... Sw3v5Yqx4c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LAKE-OF-DRACULA ... Swr~lYqx9E
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVIL-OF-DRACULA ... SwWxNYqx~v
Guy's from France, but ships worldwide and has a lot of japanese films with english subtitles.
Never bought from him, but it looks like he has a good rating on eBay.
The trilogy was released in the U.K. on DVD, but they use Region 2 and the transfer was non-anamorphic and would have suffered from the PAL speedup. Of course, the Toho Region 2 DVD was anamorphic but had no subtitles.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Desghidorah wrote:To my knowledge they were released, but the title for the first one got changed to "The Night of the Vampire" or "Fear of the Ghost House: Bloodsucking Doll".
Thanks a lot! It's good to know that they did make it here, but if anyone could, please give me more details, i.e., U.S. titles and years of release, which companies released them, if they were released to theaters or directly to TV, etc.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I bought all three last year via bootleg. Very good quality though as usual from this vendor. I recommend getting them. Strange movies.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Now I'm interested in how Toho handles vampires. Any impressions on these?
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

mikelcho wrote: Thanks a lot! It's good to know that they did make it here, but if anyone could, please give me more details, i.e., U.S. titles and years of release, which companies released them, if they were released to theaters or directly to TV, etc.
The Vampire Doll has never been released in the U.S. It probably played at Toho-owned cinemas in California, subtitled, but it's never seen wide release. There have been some theories why it was never released here. I think the strongest of these is that it's just too short (70 minutes) for TV.

The sequels were picked up by UPA for television, being released under their international titles (Lake of Dracula and Evil of Dracula, respectively). Both of these were more or less Toho's original international versions, although they're edited to remove some of the blood and nudity. I'm not sure exactly when these first showed up on TV here: it's possible they were being shown by 1981, but I've never seen definitive proof. These tv versions were released by Paramount on VHS in 1994. That's presently the only official way to see either film in the U.S. today.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

IMO, Vampire Doll is probably the best of the three movies. Come on, it features a young Akira Nakao (Aso from the Heisei series)!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:
mikelcho wrote: Thanks a lot! It's good to know that they did make it here, but if anyone could, please give me more details, i.e., U.S. titles and years of release, which companies released them, if they were released to theaters or directly to TV, etc.
The Vampire Doll has never been released in the U.S. It probably played at Toho-owned cinemas in California, subtitled, but it's never seen wide release. There have been some theories why it was never released here. I think the strongest of these is that it's just too short (70 minutes) for TV.

The sequels were picked up by UPA for television, being released under their international titles (Lake of Dracula and Evil of Dracula, respectively). Both of these were more or less Toho's original international versions, although they're edited to remove some of the blood and nudity. I'm not sure exactly when these first showed up on TV here: it's possible they were being shown by 1981, but I've never seen definitive proof. These tv versions were released by Paramount on VHS in 1994. That's presently the only official way to see either film in the U.S. today.
Thanks! That's a big help. I only wish that all three could be released on DVD or Blu-ray or both in unedited versions with subtitles. Maybe the next big project for Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock, hmmmm? Pretty please, guys?

Added in 10 hours 40 minutes 34 seconds:
Just thought of something else that I need to know about these films...was the order of release in Japan 1) Space Amoeba and The Vampire Doll in that order, or the other way around? 2) Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Lake of Dracula in that order, or the other way around? 3) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Evil of Dracula in that order, or the other way around? The TK articles on the trilogy don't give release dates (I think) for them and of course, there's no Wikipedia articles on them. Any help would, again, be greatly appreciated.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

mikelcho wrote:Just thought of something else that I need to know about these films...was the order of release in Japan 1) Space Amoeba and The Vampire Doll in that order, or the other way around? 2) Godzilla vs. Hedorah and Lake of Dracula in that order, or the other way around? 3) Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Evil of Dracula in that order, or the other way around? The TK articles on the trilogy don't give release dates (I think) for them and of course, there's no Wikipedia articles on them. Any help would, again, be greatly appreciated.
A simple IMDB search provides the answers.

1. Vampire Doll was released on July 4th, and Space Amoeba on August 1st of 1970.
2. Lake of Dracula was released on June 16th, and Hedorah on July 24th of 1971.
3. GvsMG was released on March 21st, and Evil of Dracula on July 20th of 1974.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks. That helps a lot.

Added in 7 months 23 days 3 hours 43 minutes 23 seconds:
Well, the Bloodthirsty trilogy is finally coming to Blu-ray here at last! You know that I'm going to get this!

Added in 4 months 23 days 4 hours 41 minutes 48 seconds:
Well, I'm going to order the The Bloodthirsty Trilogy Blu-ray tomorrow! Can't wait to get it!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I find these movies to be highly enjoyable, and they will be part of my Halloween movie watching this year.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Just ordered it this afternoon. I'll be waiting with bells on!

UPDATE: it should be arriving in the mail at my house on Friday.

UPDATE 2: Make that Saturday.

UPDATE 3: It came in on Friday (8-31-18) after all! Yaaaaahoo!

Added in 4 months 11 days 18 hours 54 minutes 14 seconds:
A few weeks ago, I finally watched The Bloodthirsty Trilogy and it was excellent!

All three of them were uniquely Japanese, with a touch of Hammeresque elements thrown in. In fact, they look like a cross between Hammer and Toho if both of them had done such a thing back in the day.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 am, edited 5 times in total.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

mikelcho wrote:Just ordered it this afternoon. I'll be waiting with bells on!

UPDATE: it should be arriving in the mail at my house on Friday.

UPDATE 2: Make that Saturday.

UPDATE 3: It came in on Friday (8-31-18) after all! Yaaaaahoo!

Added in 4 months 11 days 18 hours 54 minutes 14 seconds:
A few weeks ago, I finally watched The Bloodthirsty Trilogy and it was excellent!

All three of them were uniquely Japanese, with a touch of Hammeresque elements thrown in. In fact, they look like a cross between Hammer and Toho if both of them had done such a thing back in the day.
Makes the death of the Toho/Hammer Nessie sting even more huh? Lake was my favorite of the three.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Are these worth watching/trying to hunt down?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Are these worth watching/trying to hunt down?
Well you have a whole page of people saying how much they like the films. So yes. Hunt it down
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

If you have Amazon Prime, very little hunting is required, as you can stream them for free.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

eabaker wrote:
If you have Amazon Prime, very little hunting is required, as you can stream them for free.
Dubbed or Subbed?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life