Jordan Vogt-Roberts on Directing a RODAN Solo Film

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Jordan Vogt-Roberts on Directing a RODAN Solo Film

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Mr. Yellow wrote:How do we know this?
It happened around the time godzilla was awoken and there are claw marks, so I know i just assumed.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah I took that remark as an attempt to make Godzilla seem like more of a neutral force to balance out his somewhat heroic portrayal in G14.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

What could you do for a Rodan film that could attract the general audience?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

erod510
Samurai

Post by erod510 »

Gothicserpent wrote:What could you do for a Rodan film that could attract the general audience?
Two things, I really like the "kaiju meets Top Gun" aspect everyone's throwing around, keeps the theme of the sky and flying consistent. I would use three kaiju :Rodan, Megaguius (Meganula army included), and Varan, all of them flying monsters. Our main human character being a fighter pilot, he's our Maverick.

Start the film with Maverick guy on a mission to take out Rodan around the time of Godzilla:King of the Monsters . His entire squadron gets wrecked, and he ends up the only survivor having ejected out of his falling plane in time. He watches from the ground as the silhouette of Rodan passes over the sky as debris from his fallen comrades continue to fall.

Years later. At a mining operation in China, miners accidentally burst through a cavern full of water which floods the mine. Soon reports of rescue workers getting killed by unseen creatures in the water make the news.

Maverick Guy who has since given up flying due to his past traumatic encounter, is approached by a former superior about joining a special squadron that's tasked with dealing with flying kaiju like Rodan, and his experience would be of good use. After some back and forth he joins. He meets other squad members who know call themselves the "Dragon Squadron" and begin their training which also involves intel from Monarch scientists who've studied Rodan.
Back at the mine in China, another calamity occurs when a seismic anomaly causes the caverns to collapse creating an opening at a nearby lake which release the Meganula larva along with a large reptilian kaiju, Varan. At a volcano somewhere else in the world, and where Monarch has been keeping on eye as Rodan has been hibernating there, discover he's awakened again and explodes out. His size and hurricane winds plowing through the pyroclastic flow from the eruption. The King of the Skies makes a B line towards China.

The discovery of Varan and causes a panic, though a bigger problem rises as a gigantic Meganula larva comes out the lake and attacks Varan. A short scuffle ensues but both kaiju depart and retreat their separate ways. Varan escapes by extending his "gliding skin" and takes off into the air.
The Dragon Squadron is dispatched to intercept Rodan. At a populated area near the coast, Rodan and Varan collide in the air, knocking both kaiju to the ground. Their battle is a brief one, Varan makes an escape into the sea. Their meeting is seen as nothing but pure chance as Rodan seems more focused on another target. Back at the lake the giant larva metamorphosis into a huge dragonfly monster with big pincers and a stinger at the end of its tail, Megaguirus. The other smaller larva also change into adult Meganula. The entire swarm takes flight with Megaguirus leading the way.

The Dragon Squadron are then ordered to go after the swarm, Rodan also heading the same direction. Rodan intercepts, using his hurricane winds and sonic booms to bring down a large number of Meganula. Then he attacks Megaguirus head on as a big dogfight thousands of feet in the air ensues with impressive aerial cinematography to go with it. But the giant insect turns the tables when she impales her stinger into Rodan and starts draining his energy. Weakened, Rodan falls out of the sky, crashing into the ocean below. He manages to still pull himself onto a beach before knocking out unconscious. Maverick Guy who's also been knocked out lands close to the fallen kaiju. He says something to Rodan like " I know how that feels".

Our characters regroup, a Monarch scientists informs that Megaguirus and her kind were ancient enemies of Rodan's species, each preying on the other for supremacy. It's also discovered she's the queen and is looking for a warmer climate area to reproduce more of her swarm, and were food is plentiful. Megaguirus has attacked a nuclear plant and made off with the reactor core, where she then dumps it at a reservoir dam near Sydney, Australia. She then begins the process of laying eggs, however she also causes the dam to break, flooding the countryside.
Rodan regains his strength and flies towards Megaguirus. The rest of the Dragon Squadron, along with help from the Australian Air Force are sent to deal with the threat. The Sydney area is put on emergency alert and evacuate. Maverick Guy leads a bombing run on the Meganula with much success but are met with resistance from Megaguirus. Out of nowhere, Rodan makes the save. The flying monsters continue their fight in downtown Sydney, where they use the buildings as cover and something to ram each other in. Megaguirus still holding the advantage with her agility and sonic attacks. She tries to impale Rodan again with her stinger, but gets out the way.
Rodan makes one last ditch effort diving towards Megs at tremendous speed, she tries to sting him again, but Rodan turns to the side and slices her wings off with his own wings. She crashes to the ground. Rodan then makes the final kill, ending the threat.
Everyone laments the events, Maverick Guy gains some respect for Rodan, acknowledging him as the one true Ruler of the Sky. He sticks to his duty citing their's nothing in the world that can compare with flying with monsters. THE END.

Post Credits Scene: At a laboratory were scientists are studying how kaiju have evolved radiation resistance start experimenting on human DNA, one scientist is played by Brad Pitt. It's revealed as a tease to WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS.
That's how I would make the film. Thoughts.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Getting some pretty well known and famous actors for one as well. Can't get a box office hit without that. ;)

BTW the post credit scene, I'd have a group of scientists (Monarch) in the arctic discovering the remains of the original Frankenstein's Monster (Either through experimenting they revive the creature only it begins to grow bigger or they create their own version using the DNA from the original monster) which could then eventually lead to WotG. With Frankenstein's Monster being public domain, that'd be easy to do and keep the Gargantua's origins intact. ;)
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

I just... Can;t take the idea of frankenstein in the monsterverse seriously. Having read the original novel the tragicness and character would be lost and out of place in the monsterverse. of course, you could change the backstory, but if you want a new backstory just make a new monster.

I guess that MAYBE it would be okay if it were jsut the remains, but those spawning the gargantua makes no sense with the actual frankenstein story.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

One idea I had for such a movie that the now revived Frankenstein's Monster or new Frankenstein's Monster created from the original's DNA would find a purpose in life by protecting people is one thought (Such as after especially meeting a group of humans that treats him with kindness despite his appearance and due being the DNA of the original monster having flashbacks of his previous life with the blind man and his family that drove him away but in this time of the era realizes people are far more accepting towards those different) and sets out to prove to the world not all monsters are the dangerous creatures they see in their eyes. Just a thought but I respect anyone's opinion if they don't want him in the MonsterVerse. I'll stop here however though since this isn't the thread to discuss this.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^, if Varan were to appear it would be nice if him and Rodan teamed up.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:One idea I had for such a movie that the now revived Frankenstein's Monster or new Frankenstein's Monster created from the original's DNA would find a purpose in life by protecting people is one thought (Such as after especially meeting a group of humans that treats him with kindness despite his appearance and due being the DNA of the original monster having flashbacks of his previous life with the blind man and his family that drove him away but in this time of the era realizes people are far more accepting towards those different) and sets out to prove to the world not all monsters are the dangerous creatures they see in their eyes. Just a thought but I respect anyone's opinion if they don't want him in the MonsterVerse. I'll stop here however though since this isn't the thread to discuss this.
Frankenstein's monster could work IF Universal does not succeed in making their own monster cinematic universe anytime soon.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I like the top gun 80s setting for a rodan film like others have mentioned. What they could do is during the aerial dog fight of Rodan vs. whatever kaiju they use (To be honest, it's more likely a new kaiju rather then Megaguius, but they might make a new similar swarming kaiju like Megs), Rodan and the kaiju are flying so fast through the city that they slice and maneuver around buildings similar to Man of steel or the death star run in Return of the Jedi. Have be a Russian city like Yekaterinburg and you could make a plausible soviet cover story of new government aerial equipment test failure.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

erod510 wrote:
Gothicserpent wrote:What could you do for a Rodan film that could attract the general audience?
Two things, I really like the "kaiju meets Top Gun" aspect everyone's throwing around, keeps the theme of the sky and flying consistent. I would use three kaiju :Rodan, Megaguius (Meganula army included), and Varan, all of them flying monsters. Our main human character being a fighter pilot, he's our Maverick.

Start the film with Maverick guy on a mission to take out Rodan around the time of Godzilla:King of the Monsters . His entire squadron gets wrecked, and he ends up the only survivor having ejected out of his falling plane in time. He watches from the ground as the silhouette of Rodan passes over the sky as debris from his fallen comrades continue to fall.

Years later. At a mining operation in China, miners accidentally burst through a cavern full of water which floods the mine. Soon reports of rescue workers getting killed by unseen creatures in the water make the news.

Maverick Guy who has since given up flying due to his past traumatic encounter, is approached by a former superior about joining a special squadron that's tasked with dealing with flying kaiju like Rodan, and his experience would be of good use. After some back and forth he joins. He meets other squad members who know call themselves the "Dragon Squadron" and begin their training which also involves intel from Monarch scientists who've studied Rodan.
Back at the mine in China, another calamity occurs when a seismic anomaly causes the caverns to collapse creating an opening at a nearby lake which release the Meganula larva along with a large reptilian kaiju, Varan. At a volcano somewhere else in the world, and where Monarch has been keeping on eye as Rodan has been hibernating there, discover he's awakened again and explodes out. His size and hurricane winds plowing through the pyroclastic flow from the eruption. The King of the Skies makes a B line towards China.

The discovery of Varan and causes a panic, though a bigger problem rises as a gigantic Meganula larva comes out the lake and attacks Varan. A short scuffle ensues but both kaiju depart and retreat their separate ways. Varan escapes by extending his "gliding skin" and takes off into the air.
The Dragon Squadron is dispatched to intercept Rodan. At a populated area near the coast, Rodan and Varan collide in the air, knocking both kaiju to the ground. Their battle is a brief one, Varan makes an escape into the sea. Their meeting is seen as nothing but pure chance as Rodan seems more focused on another target. Back at the lake the giant larva metamorphosis into a huge dragonfly monster with big pincers and a stinger at the end of its tail, Megaguirus. The other smaller larva also change into adult Meganula. The entire swarm takes flight with Megaguirus leading the way.

The Dragon Squadron are then ordered to go after the swarm, Rodan also heading the same direction. Rodan intercepts, using his hurricane winds and sonic booms to bring down a large number of Meganula. Then he attacks Megaguirus head on as a big dogfight thousands of feet in the air ensues with impressive aerial cinematography to go with it. But the giant insect turns the tables when she impales her stinger into Rodan and starts draining his energy. Weakened, Rodan falls out of the sky, crashing into the ocean below. He manages to still pull himself onto a beach before knocking out unconscious. Maverick Guy who's also been knocked out lands close to the fallen kaiju. He says something to Rodan like " I know how that feels".

Our characters regroup, a Monarch scientists informs that Megaguirus and her kind were ancient enemies of Rodan's species, each preying on the other for supremacy. It's also discovered she's the queen and is looking for a warmer climate area to reproduce more of her swarm, and were food is plentiful. Megaguirus has attacked a nuclear plant and made off with the reactor core, where she then dumps it at a reservoir dam near Sydney, Australia. She then begins the process of laying eggs, however she also causes the dam to break, flooding the countryside.
Rodan regains his strength and flies towards Megaguirus. The rest of the Dragon Squadron, along with help from the Australian Air Force are sent to deal with the threat. The Sydney area is put on emergency alert and evacuate. Maverick Guy leads a bombing run on the Meganula with much success but are met with resistance from Megaguirus. Out of nowhere, Rodan makes the save. The flying monsters continue their fight in downtown Sydney, where they use the buildings as cover and something to ram each other in. Megaguirus still holding the advantage with her agility and sonic attacks. She tries to impale Rodan again with her stinger, but gets out the way.
Rodan makes one last ditch effort diving towards Megs at tremendous speed, she tries to sting him again, but Rodan turns to the side and slices her wings off with his own wings. She crashes to the ground. Rodan then makes the final kill, ending the threat.
Everyone laments the events, Maverick Guy gains some respect for Rodan, acknowledging him as the one true Ruler of the Sky. He sticks to his duty citing their's nothing in the world that can compare with flying with monsters. THE END.

Post Credits Scene: At a laboratory were scientists are studying how kaiju have evolved radiation resistance start experimenting on human DNA, one scientist is played by Brad Pitt. It's revealed as a tease to WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS.
I'd actually like this.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not bad but I'd remove Varan. There seems to be no real reason for him to even exist in the story.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

erod510
Samurai

Post by erod510 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Not bad but I'd remove Varan. There seems to be no real reason for him to even exist in the story.
I've thought of that. But then I also thought to add more to the MonsterVerse roster, think of the fight between Ant-Man and Falcon in the MCU, it was something out of nowhere buts still fun to watch, plus Varan could show up again on another film.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I would include a monster such as Anguirus before picking a third-rate monster such as Varan.

But then again, I'm not making these movies, so they could do whatever they wanted. And I'd still watch it...
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

erod510 wrote:

While I appreciate your talent for coming up with elaborate synopses as seen here, I don't think Legendary would attempt to acquire the rights to Megaguirus or Varan. We will likely see Rodan fight another original creation. Realistically, I can see them liscencing a handful of Kaiju from Toho's tanks. That being Mechagodzilla, the Gargantuas and MAYBE Megalon due to the odd reason that his movie just by luck became one of the most recognized Godzilla films in the west, even achieving the closest thing to a sucessful run w/ a positive critical reception whereas practically every other Godzilla film was either lambasted by critics or pulled from theatres.

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

One idea I've had -- although admittedly not a very original one -- is for the franchise to take a nod to the Cloverfield entries or even from Split/Unbreakable: Have a movie that's within the same "universe," but don't have the films necessarily be about kaiju -- or if you do, mix it up a little. Maybe a thriller/horror movie of something related to monsters, but it's human-sized, or has something to do with evil human elements of kaiju movies. This route is pretty ambitious because ultimately it requires a lot of creativity (and good acting), but I worry that the whole "monster movie" thing could get stale after 4+ movies. I really like the direction Legendary has taken things so far and I don't want to see a "soft reboot" type of thing happen because they got too ambitious and had some bombs.

The "alien" elements of Godzilla movies would really fit here, and I could see a "space horror" movie work here, maybe with a big reveal of a space monster at the end that totally throws everybody off. Yes, this is where I would take it, and I would only TEASE this being part of the MonsterVerse, again waiting for the reveal towards the end (you could also make a relatively low budget movie compared to the 160-190M goliaths we have so far because the movies would be more about tension/human-centric elements). This would also advance future plots nicely and set up new antagonists for humanity and Godzilla/earthly monsters to battle against. We can wax poetic about different monster fights -- and there's definitely a place for that, don't get me wrong -- but ultimately things have to sync up from a storytelling perspective, and there has to be some human element that people can emotionally invest in.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

vibramrunner wrote:One idea I've had -- although admittedly not a very original one -- is for the franchise to take a nod to the Cloverfield entries or even from Split/Unbreakable: Have a movie that's within the same "universe," but don't have the films necessarily be about kaiju -- or if you do, mix it up a little. Maybe a thriller/horror movie of something related to monsters, but it's human-sized, or has something to do with evil human elements of kaiju movies. This route is pretty ambitious because ultimately it requires a lot of creativity (and good acting), but I worry that the whole "monster movie" thing could get stale after 4+ movies. I really like the direction Legendary has taken things so far and I don't want to see a "soft reboot" type of thing happen because they got too ambitious and had some bombs.

The "alien" elements of Godzilla movies would really fit here, and I could see a "space horror" movie work here, maybe with a big reveal of a space monster at the end that totally throws everybody off. Yes, this is where I would take it, and I would only TEASE this being part of the MonsterVerse, again waiting for the reveal towards the end (you could also make a relatively low budget movie compared to the 160-190M goliaths we have so far because the movies would be more about tension/human-centric elements). This would also advance future plots nicely and set up new antagonists for humanity and Godzilla/earthly monsters to battle against. We can wax poetic about different monster fights -- and there's definitely a place for that, don't get me wrong -- but ultimately things have to sync up from a storytelling perspective, and there has to be some human element that people can emotionally invest in.
I'd be cool with this. Maybe an Aliens type situation with Shockirus on an oil tanker?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"OKAY"

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I'm not getting my hopes too high up, but a solo Rodan film would be amazing!
Like the Godzilla 2014 film was supposed to completely remake the original ' Gojira ', a Rodan film could also easily remake the '56 Rodan. This film could be made, and I'd love it if Jordan Vogt-Roberts would do one, but the chances of it being made so far are small. He's literally only mentioned it once on an obscure interview.

Basically, I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but I really hope this movie gets made.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.