The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Reconstruction AVAILABLE NOW

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Re: The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Recreation

Post by Great Hierophant »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Honestly, I'm pretty burned out from my classes this quarter. I've rarely got an entire day free, and most of my energy for video editing is taken up by the editing class I'm taking, which uses Premiere - I don't know if you've ever used it, but the interface is kind of awful. I haven't really touched Astro-Monsters in ages.

I'll almost certainly finish it once this term's over, though, so keep an eye out for it sometime in April at the absolute latest.
I don't suppose you could write your thesis on your restoration work ;)

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

That's alright, man. College for me is so busy. omgitsgodzilla, you take all the time you need. :)
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I'm having a great deal of trouble finding any other textless sources. I'd particularly like to know which source was used for SpaceHunterM's "birth of the newspapers" video. Any and all help is appreciated.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Try asking SpaceHunterM himself. He might know some sources.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I recently did PM him, but got no reply, which is why I asked here.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I'd assumed it was a VHS or some other copy of the International version.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

It looks a bit to high quality for VHS to me, especially in the widescreen format. Also, SHM has posted some videos on his YouTube channel that seem to be from the same source, which seems to high in quality to be VHS, especially a VHS of the international version, which from the Carlton PAL VHS, looks atrocious.

Added in 8 hours 56 minutes 24 seconds:
Does anyone know if they can hook me up with someone that has good textless sources for the film? I've asked two people already, and got no reply from either.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I'll see if I can ask SpaceHunterM. ;)

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Thank you!

Added in 22 hours 39 minutes 22 seconds:
I'm starting to think that my PM box isn't working properly. So, if anyone needs to PM me, it's better to PM me on Twitter. The link will be in the bottom of every post from now on.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

So far, no word from SpaceHunterM. I PM him again just in case.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Thanks! Again, please try to message me in my TK inbox and my twitter, just in case my suspicions are right and my TK inbox isn't working. Thanks!

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Still no word from SpaceHunterM. All I know he's still posting on his Tumblr site. I hope he didn't give up the TK forums.

Added in 4 hours 9 minutes 34 seconds:
How's it going?

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Obviously the project has not been released on the time I said. Now, I don't know when exactly it will be finished. I'm still stuck on a source for the remaining few shots. Again, if anyone knows a textless source I can use, please inform me. Thanks!

Added in 14 hours 41 minutes 40 seconds:
I have done some work with what I have, as I am still missing the source needed for many of the shots, but I have done the opening credits, which can be found here. I also plan to do a preview of the first reel of the film in the EOST version.

Never mind I guess Toho took it down.

Added in 5 hours 13 minutes 14 seconds:
Hey guys! I am very sorry for not keeping you all updated. I've been very busy as I've gotten a job! My family opened a photo lab and photo restoration service (which by "family" I mean I pretty much do most of it), so I have rarely gotten a chance to work on it, as well as the fact that I just entered high school this past fall. I stopped working on it for a while because I was needing a different source, and was met with no response after I asked some guys who I thought would know, one said he had a source, but seemed to not want to share it with me for this project. Hopefully, anyone who knows of a way that I can get another textless source will let me know and this project would be done pretty quickly. As a bonus, I'd like to give you all a sneak peek at the first reel of what I have been able to do (I've been working in reels to keep it efficient). The sound is way off, and will sound quite strange if you listen to it, as this is just a test for the video. The link is here:

https://mega.nz/#!h8QFwYAL!1any_2uPc0E_ ... QGpbw90Jt0

Enjoy this little test and please don't hesitate to help me find or to provide me with any more textless sources! Thanks!
Last edited by Servanov on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

I'd just like to give a quick little update! The project is coming along slowly but surely, high school and a job is taking up a lot of time. I'd thought I'd give a little video on how I remove text from some shots that cannot be made textless in high enough quality due to a high quality source not existing. I only have a few select shots left that I need sources for and then it will be done! Any help for sources is very much appreciated!

Enjoy, and any sources are welcome!

I have also made a quick video showing how I emulate the film look for things that were recreated digitally, such as titles, using the title card as an example.

Again, any and all sources for this project are welcome and will help the project be completed quicker!
Last edited by Servanov on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.

anzilla
Samurai

Post by anzilla »

This is a great restoration project!

My question is this: will this be removing the burned-in Japanese subtitles that accompanied the English and Russian dialogue in the original cut? You mentioned one of the scene involving Russian dialogue, but I don't think you said whether or not that scene had its subtitles replaced with English ones or is completely textless in your version?

Also, I think either your Instagram link is broken or your account got taken down, just says "page is not available." :(
Last edited by anzilla on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Oh no, there goes Tokyo..."
https://damoviemaestro.tumblr.com/

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

anzilla wrote:This is a great restoration project!

My question is this: will this be removing the burned-in Japanese subtitles that accompanied the English and Russian dialogue in the original cut? You mentioned one of the scene involving Russian dialogue, but I don't think you said whether or not that scene had its subtitles replaced with English ones or is completely textless in your version?

Also, I think either your Instagram link is broken or your account got taken down, just says "page is not available." :(
Yes, it will be completely either textless or English titles, it is basically the same version as the Carlton VHS but in HD recreation. Also, whoops that's the old IG account name, thanks for pointing it out!

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Re: The Return of Godzilla EOST HD Reconstruction (REEL ONE WORPRINT AVAILABLE)

Post by Servanov »

It has been quite some time since I've began this project, and it is finally being realized. I have completed a workprint of reel one, which is not final. If you want the workprint, please PM me. I've also made a little video showing a couple of examples of the color correction of the film.

Last edited by Servanov on Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

What a fugly green filter they put over everything! I will definitely look forward viewing your completed work.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Great Hierophant wrote:What a fugly green filter they put over everything! I will definitely look forward viewing your completed work.
It unfortunately is on pretty much all the Toho Godzilla blu-rays. The workprint is available for download, PM me if you want the link.

Servanov
Monsterland Worker

Post by Servanov »

Hello again! I made a couple more of my little videos showing my process in this Reconstruction!