Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla Unpopular Opinions

Post by Ivo-goji »

Everybody thinks Manda is supposed to be one of the Yamato Guardians because that's how Godzilla Neo reimagined GMK.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Manda would be perfect for a river and lake guardian.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Personally, I think Rodan would've been a better alternative in GMK rather than Ghidorah.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I personally think none of the kaiju used for GMK make any sense besides Varan.

Baragon is a scifi dinosaur from a scifi film with no supernatural subtext.

Anguirus is also that, in addition to 100% not looking the part (the ancient spirit that guards the Japanese people- an ankylosaur? At least Baragon looks vaguely like a dragon or an oni) and being largely remembered as Godzilla's ally.

Then of course there's shorning Mothra of her whole mythos that was utilized in every other film she's ever had a title role in and the complete non-sequiter of making Ghidorah a good guy.

Really GMK should have just followed in the previous two entries footsteps and introduced new monsters. It would have gone a long way to improving the series reputation for recycling kaiju to avoid risks and made more sense narrative-wise than any version of the film that was under consideration.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Ivo-goji wrote:I personally think none of the kaiju used for GMK make any sense besides Varan.

Anguirus is also that, in addition to 100% not looking the part (the ancient spirit that guards the Japanese people- an ankylosaur? At least Baragon looks vaguely like a dragon or an oni) and being largely remembered as Godzilla's ally.

Then of course there's shorning Mothra of her whole mythos that was utilized in every other film she's ever had a title role in and the complete non-sequiter of making Ghidorah a good guy.

Really GMK should have just followed in the previous two entries footsteps and introduced new monsters. It would have gone a long way to improving the series reputation for recycling kaiju to avoid risks and made more sense narrative-wise than any version of the film that was under consideration.
Having just rewatched the movie with my son last night, I have to disagree. Baragon fits because he looks like a dragon, King Ghidorah fits because he is a dragon--but Mothra does not fit. Not only because she doesn't make sense as a Japanese mythological creature, but because she doesn't even behave like Mothra.

King Ghidorah only doesn't seem to fit because it feels weird to see Godzilla's second-most powerful foe get killed by him three times with complete ease. In fact, I find the final battle of GMK more aggravating than Godzilla killing Ebirah and Hedorah seconds after Hedorah shows up in Final Wars.

Varan and Baragon both seem like a natural fit for mythological beasts--only Anguirus seems odd in that context, but not so odd that he couldn't have worked. Though I think if they had kept Varan and used King Ghidorah, it would have worked much better. But if it still ended the same way I'd probably still think it was a mediocre film.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ivo-goji wrote:I personally think none of the kaiju used for GMK make any sense besides Varan.

I always felt King Caesar (King Ghidorah) and Manda (Mothra) should've been among the three guardian monsters. Considering King Caesar's origins and role in the showa series, surprised he was never considered by Kaneko...

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

King Caesar, Gabara, Manda
Sun. Lightning. Water.

BAM

That shoulda been the GMK cast

I'm sure that'll be an unpopular opinion :lol:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:King Caesar, Gabara, Manda
Sun. Lightning. Water.

BAM

That shoulda been the GMK cast

I'm sure that'll be an unpopular opinion :lol:
With a few updated designs, that could have worked fine. I'd watch that movie.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Much as I love the 1989 suit, as well as 1955, most of the Millennium suit, and 1984--I am sick of every Godzilla suit having to have four toes and tiny ears since 1984.

The only one pre-2014 that I can think of that broke the ear pattern is GMK, but it still had four toes. I'd like to see a return to the 1962-1975 three toes and lack of obvious ears. The 2014 and Shin designs did the no ears bit, but they still kept the four toes. It's time for a shift back for a little, make things fresh again--which is ironically why the ears and extra toe came back, I'm sure.

WeegeeZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by WeegeeZilla »

Keizer Ghidorah aside, I quite like Monster X. His design is certainly distinctive, and let's just say the fact that he's so overpowered makes him strangely endearing. He straight up throws Godzilla into the air and snaps both his wrists at once!
Some might say that life is a great challenge, and something insurmountably difficult. I say to that, "Bring it on."

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

I think '70s Godzilla is just about as overrated as Godzilla Final Wars is.
Resized Image

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

I don't care for the feline-like face Heisei Godzilla has; to add to this already unpopular opinion, I actually like FW Goji's face better (though that one looks off to me as well).
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Coobzilla03 wrote:I think '70s Godzilla is just about as overrated as Godzilla Final Wars is.
Its statements like these that is the reason I have TK post cancer.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I think Godzilla 2014 is the 3rd best film of them all.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Shin is the perfect remake :P

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Shin is the perfect remake :P
Now that you mentioned, Shin/Resurgence does indeed come close to being a remake of the '54 original, ironically more-so than the other films also simply titled 'Godzilla':
Godzilla '84 is an alternative sequel,
Godzilla '98 is a poorly-executed reimagining,
Godzilla 2014 is basically a reboot.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Of course it's the perfect remake, it touches problems like the Fukashima disaster, and problems with Japan's government and how effectivly they react to situations, you know, stuff going on TODAY, just as Gojira 1954 dealt with issues plaguing their nation back then.
It's really the only film in the series that can stand with the original on terms of the message.

WeegeeZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by WeegeeZilla »

I think that other film franchises should look to how Shin was handled to see a great example of how to handle a remake/reboot and still have it be just as good as the original.
Some might say that life is a great challenge, and something insurmountably difficult. I say to that, "Bring it on."

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

King Ghidorah's 2001 design and roar were his best. Godzilla vs. Biollante is boring.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I personally prefer Frankenstein vs Baragon over War of the Gargantuas.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality