What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

Hey guys i have made a new topic in the heisei series section what is your favorite film in this era.
Because i am doing this is jsut to know your own opinion of these films now i will tell you my favorite film of this era and it is my favorite godzilla film of all time and that is Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla reason why i like spacegodzilla's character design and how he looks. And he is one of godzilla's toughest foes and they brought back a classic monster from the 50s which is Mogurea from the mysterians and his design looks cool and i also like jr. aka little godzilla he looks adorable to me and the story of the film i like it. Leave a comment down below what is your favorite film from this era and why i would love to know :) :thumbsup:
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Re: What is your favorite movie in the heisei era?

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Nice post! Mind if I save it?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

My favorite is Godzilla vs. Biollante. Interesting plot, okay characters, my favorite Godzilla suit and I really like Biollante. The effects are really great, too.

Added in 25 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nice post! Mind if I save it?
Huh?
Resized Image

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

By technicality, this thread already exists:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... f=7&t=2742
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Biollante, without question. Brilliant design and effects, a magnificent final fight, that oil platform scene, the Super X2 theme, the ANEB rocket-launcher scene; basically, if someone made a fan edit wherein the Cosmos showed up to summon Mothra at sunset in the middle of this film (for no good reason whatsoever), then all my favorite scene in the Heisei era would be contained in one film. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Personally for me it's Godzilla vs Destroyah, its a great movie that packs a very emotional punch with it. The Godzilla suit was great and Jr was very nicely made. The fight scenes were good, especially the last one vs Destroyah. The whole movie you could feel Godzilla's pain, either physically or emotional pain. Also my all time favorite Godzilla movie and favorite movie in general.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Godzilla vs. Biollante. Love the designs of Biollante's forms. It brought something fresh and original instead of the typical alien invaders and reptilian mutants. I also LOVE Koichi Sugiyama's music! And I really love how they use rain during some scenes. I always find rain as use of realism rather than just spring/summer days in the Showa era. GAMERA 3: REVENGE OF IRIS proves that rain kicks ass! :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

New Kirk Citizen
Ronin

Post by New Kirk Citizen »

It's close between Godzilla vs. Biollante and Godzilla vs Destroyah. The former has better effects and story, the latter has better action and a more emotional ending. A slight nod to GvB, I guess. I also like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II quite a bit. The other four all have good elements but I wouldn't consider any of them my favorite of the era.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Godzilla vs Biollante.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The 1984/5 that kicked the series off easily, with vs Destroyah a close second. The first has the best story (I just never liked the story in Biollante, with the weirdly too effective Saradian agent and the psychic stuff and Biollante having the doctor's dead daughter's soul and then not, it just never clicked) and some of the best special effects of the whole series. Actually, all my favorite Godzilla movies have been the first ones in their respective eras.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dogbert »

Either Godzilla vs Biollante or Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. They both feel like serious movies while still having that Godzilla-like charm.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I know this is very odd, but I have a three way tie.

Either Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, G84, or Godzilla vs Destoroyah.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

GODZILLA 1998 is pretty good so I'll go with that one.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Probably a tie between Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs Destoroyah

While having excellent creatures, design work, scores, action, effects, etc....more-so than the other 90s films they seem to be playing with larger themes and higher stakes...they feel more cinematic than their 90s counterparts.

I think Return of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Biollante and Godzilla vs Destoroyah form an amazing little spiritual trilogy, to be honest.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla 1985. It's my favorite Godzilla movie so naturally it's my favorite Heisei movie too. Biollante and Ghidorah are roughly tied for second.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

1984 and Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I agree with the majority and say that Godzilla vs Biollante is the best Heisei film. Mostly for the same reasons many people have said in this thread.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

ZinK
Interpol Agent

Post by ZinK »

I only really like Godzilla 1985 and Destoroyah. G v Destoroyah is my favorite.
c a k e e v e r y n i g h t

Baranguirus
Yojimbo

Post by Baranguirus »

Godzilla vs Biollante isn't only my favorite Heisei movie, but probably my favorite Godzilla movie of all time, only surpassed by the original. Something about it just draws me to it... I'm not sure how to explain it.
My second favorite in the Heisei series is probably Godzilla vs Destoroyah
More rubber suits, less CGI

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I love how much appreciation Biollante gets in threads like this. I remember back in the 90s that it was almost the forgotten Godzilla movie among fans, not being discussed nearly as often in conversations or articles as the other Heisei flicks. It's like it was written off as a tonal and stylistic dead-end, with the course set right by King Ghidorah.

Don't get me wrong, GvsKG is also very high among my favorites, but if I could only take one of the two to the desert island with me, it would have to be Biollante.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.