Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah (1995)

Post by Space Hunter M »

The effects work is really inconsistent at times in this one. Nothing as obvious as say, Godzilla's tail falling off multiple times in SpaceGodzilla, but there's a lot of times where it looks like the optical department forgot to add rays and whatnot to shots that were clearly shot with them in mind.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

That's also something that bugs the crap out of me with those last three Heisei films. There'll be plenty of scenes with no animated rays, but explosions and sparks flying everywhere regardless.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

I LOVE this movie. It's my 2nd favorite of the whole franchise. I just love the effects, story, characters, the fact that we see that Godzilla cry when Jr was killed, and that Destoroyah was, IMO, Godzilla's ultimate foe. I also loved Godzilla's death, of course, for how sad it was.

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

Honestly this is my favorite movie in the franchise and my overall favorite movie. There are just so many good things about this movie.

The designs of Burning Godzilla, Destroyah, and Godzilla Jr were all really great. The atmosphere was good. The characters were average, except Miki, with this being her best role in the series. The effects and explosions were great. The gunfight between the soldiers and the Destroyahs was really cool. The emotional aspect of the film was very strong. From the very beginning you can see Godzilla is in pain. And the entire movie, he is just trying to reach his son, to see him one last time. And when they finally do, that moment is robbed from him and he is forced to watch his son get killed by Destroyah. This is only the second time in the entire franchise Godzilla actually cries, and you can understand why. Then you see the rage in his eyes as his relentlessly attacks Destroyah, his true power is revealed. The sheer amount of destruction his beam causes is a sight to see and the final battle between him and Destroyah is my favorite Kaiju fight of all time. Then afterwards, Godzilla slowly and painfully melts down, all alone. But as his last will, he sends his energies to Jr, reviving him to a full grown form. It is just an amazing movie. And watching Jr grow up through the series, and fight his own battles, then seeing him get killed were almost as sad. Overall an amazing movie. 10/10
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Really like this one. Overall 8/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

gzillafan17 wrote:Honestly this is my favorite movie in the franchise and my overall favorite movie. There are just so many good things about this movie.

The designs of Burning Godzilla, Destroyah, and Godzilla Jr were all really great. The atmosphere was good. The characters were average, except Miki, with this being her best role in the series. The effects and explosions were great. The gunfight between the soldiers and the Destroyahs was really cool. The emotional aspect of the film was very strong. From the very beginning you can see Godzilla is in pain. And the entire movie, he is just trying to reach his son, to see him one last time. And when they finally do, that moment is robbed from him and he is forced to watch his son get killed by Destroyah. This is only the second time in the entire franchise Godzilla actually cries, and you can understand why. Then you see the rage in his eyes as his relentlessly attacks Destroyah, his true power is revealed. The sheer amount of destruction his beam causes is a sight to see and the final battle between him and Destroyah is my favorite Kaiju fight of all time. Then afterwards, Godzilla slowly and painfully melts down, all alone. But as his last will, he sends his energies to Jr, reviving him to a full grown form. It is just an amazing movie. And watching Jr grow up through the series, and fight his own battles, then seeing him get killed were almost as sad. Overall an amazing movie. 10/10
:applause: :applause: :applause:
Couldn't have said it better.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

gzillafan17
G-Force Personnel

Post by gzillafan17 »

I also want to mention, the scenes with Godzilla melting and him trudging over to Jr, are up there with the saddest moments in TV for me, with the likes of Marley and Me and Hachi ( these movies are the reasons I don't watch dog movies, other than comedies), Doctor Who Ten regenerating into eleven, and the ending of La Bamba.
It's not a lake; it's an ocean. - Alan Wake

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I give the movie a 9/10.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Also what helps make it good is the fact Destoroyah is essentially Godzilla's doomsday. He was the ultimate villain, and that concept was executed really well.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Dawsbfiremind wrote:Also what helps make it good is the fact Destoroyah is essentially Godzilla's doomsday. He was the ultimate villain, and that concept was executed really well.
I think the biggest problem I have with Destoroyah's execution is with the final stage. You never see the poor dude walk, he largely stands in place. I wish there'd been more moments where the two rivals had met each other halfway on the ground, charging at one another, instead of Godzilla having to do all the work while Destoroyah rather stiffly flies around.

There are moments when Destoroyah does actually use its legs, like when it has Godzilla caught in its tail; Destoroyah spins in place to toss him, and the movements looked good.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Personally, I feel as if one's opinion of this movie hinges entirely upon their thoughts of the Heisei series as a whole. I love the Heisei series, so of course I love this movie.
It is probably my favorite movie in the franchise, or at least 2nd favorite. The emotion in this movie is something the franchise rarely tries for and succeeds with, the characters are at some of their best, the effects are great, Destoroyah is an awesome villain with an amazing backstory that ties perfectly into the lore, and the ending to this movie is amazing.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I dunno; I love Heisei best of all series', but found this fillm to be pretty flat and lifeless.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This movie can have some poor pacing and lacking dialogue in scenes, but overall it's a successful end to the Hesie era. The film gave Godzilla the most emotion he's ever shown, and the BG suit is a striking and dramatic change to the character. It's stunning to look at. Meanwhile, Destroyah is a devil of a foe, sadistic, powerful, and hard to kill. The flying form is allright, but the giant aggregate form was a terrifying beast. I loved it.

I wish I could say more about the human characters, but they're very much in the middle of the road. There's not much to distinguish them from other Hesie characters, but the college student does show some promise when we first meet him. He's got real enthusiasm and builds another connection to the first film. However, he becomes just another face in G Force after he joins the group. I don't have anything bad to say about the characters, but they could be more memorable.

Lastly, they handle Godzilla's death quite well. The cause of his demise is done in a plausible manner, and the suit actor portrays a monster who's in pain. And when the end does come, it's handled with grace and respect. It's a big, radioactive, prehistoric monster, but you feel sympathy for that big, radioactive, prehistoric monster. The ending with Junior is also a clever way for Toho to leave the door open for more films, as well as bring justice for the murder of Junior.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I have a question: did Destoroyah's ray kill Junior or did the fall do it? We never could clearly tell in the film.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaijunator wrote:I have a question: did Destoroyah's ray kill Junior or did the fall do it? We never could clearly tell in the film.
My opinion is was the fall mixed with exhaustion from his earlier battle with the aggregate form. I thought he died right before Godzilla's eyes before Destroyah's beam hit him.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

i love this movie it is my 3rd favorite godzilla film of all time i cried when jr. and godzilla died
but the part when jr. is a adult i clapped and cheered and did you know the roar when jr. is a adult is the 1962 roar of godzilla
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

SuperPawnageGigan wrote: did you know the roar when jr. is a adult is the 1962 roar of godzilla
I think everyone knew that.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Kaijunator wrote:I think everyone knew that.
I actually didn't... :?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The 1962 Godzilla didn't exactly have a unique roar to begin with.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

UltramanGoji wrote:The 1962 Godzilla didn't exactly have a unique roar to begin with.
I'd say it did.
Resized Image