Monster Toy Spotlight #49: Irys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Monster Toy Spotlight #49: Irys

Post by Rody »

Time for another Gamera monster: the evil, enigmatic Irys!
Here are some shots of my 6" Bandai and 3" High Grade:

Spoiler:
Image Image
Spoiler:
Image Image Image
Now post away!
Last edited by Rody on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #49: Irys

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Thanks for taking this spotlight Rody :gigan:

As I've mentioned several times, my Gamera collection is woefully inadequate. Once I pick up the Xplus 25cm Gabara figure later this year, I think I'm pretty much content with my Godzilla collection (Gabara is pretty much the last Godzilla-related kaiju I need a decent 8inch/25cm figure of). After that, I will start concentrating on improving my Gamera collection, and a good Irys figure will definitely be on the agenda.

In the meantime, here's an online review of a nifty figure:

Konami Irys
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^No prob. ;-)
That's a nice video - but not much actual toy review. :lol:

My Gamera collection was also tiny until recently (it's decent now). I was really excited when I finally got my hands on the Bandai (pictured above^^); I fell in love with G3 on my first viewing, and Irys is probably still one of my favorite giant movie monster designs out there.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Rody wrote:^No prob. ;-)
That's a nice video - but not much actual toy review. :lol:

Yeah, but it's hard to find video reviews that are not made by annoying little kids, so it's usually slim pickens in what reviews to choose from to post.

Bandai 6 inch Irys

It wouldn't surprise me to see Xplus getting around to Irys soon...

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Not my kit, but I've used this as a reference to paint a couple Irys kits for coworkers.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Here's my Kaiyodo Xebec 6 inch Irys. Underrated figure, if you ask me. Only a bit too fragile...

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here are some images from Club Tokyo of some Irys figures that Xplus made way back in 2002 (before they realized they could charge $100-$200+ instead of just $30 :P )

Xplus Baby Irys

By the way, since you've never had a change yet to do a spotlight, would you like to take Monster Toy Spotlight #50 Israha? :bagan:

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Israha wrote:Here's my Kaiyodo Xebec 6 inch Irys. Underrated figure, if you ask me. Only a bit too fragile...
It seems like a cool figure. I've been interested in it for some time, but that fragility you speak of concerns me. I don't want to get a figure I'm afraid to handle!

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Rody wrote:
Israha wrote:Here's my Kaiyodo Xebec 6 inch Irys. Underrated figure, if you ask me. Only a bit too fragile...
It seems like a cool figure. I've been interested in it for some time, but that fragility you speak of concerns me. I don't want to get a figure I'm afraid to handle!
Not that it would fall apart in your hands when posing it (although being not careful, I managed to rip away the lower left tentacle, needed some super-glueing afterwards), but let's say this is one of the figures you don't wanna take a tumble off the shelf.