Monster Discussion: Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Monster Discussion: Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I didn't see a thread about this, so I figured I'd make one. The last monstrous villain of Final Wars, and at the moment the whole of the Japanese Godzilla films. Personally, I love Monster X's design, it's menacing and intimidating, plus we've never really seen a skeletal Kaiju in this franchise. His powers are a bit bland, but I'm okay with it. Keizer Ghidorah is pretty much the opposite. His powers are amazing and unique, but his design leaves a lot to be desired. I like the concept behind it, but the actual monster looks bad. His torso is too small, his legs are too spindly, his necks and tails look weird, and what are those wings?
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Monster Discussion: Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Monster X as his own monster is cool, unique and has an awesome design especially his skeletal like structure and armor coating around his black body makes him seem like a very original monster. Its really just being related to King Ghidorah and his Keizer Ghidorah form that I have a problem with him since its literally just a rehashed Desghidorah but cheaper. I would of preferred if Monster X's second form was something like this since I feel it'd be more original and no relation to the King of Terror himself.

http://orig12.deviantart.net/6a76/f/200 ... ojia05.jpg

I also give Monster X props for being one of Godzilla's most powerful foes having been probably the only monster in Final Wars to actually go one-on-one with one of Godzilla's most powerful incarnations unlike the rest that were rag dolled out of the way as if like nothing. I'd say he's probably up there in the high tiers like Destoroyah, SpaceGodzilla and King Ghidorah.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Monster X as his own monster is cool, unique and has an awesome design especially his skeletal like structure and armor coating around his black body makes him seem like a very original monster. Its really just being related to King Ghidorah and his Keizer Ghidorah form that I have a problem with him since its literally just a rehashed Desghidorah but cheaper. I would of preferred if Monster X's second form was something like this since I feel it'd be more original and no relation to the King of Terror himself.

http://orig12.deviantart.net/6a76/f/200 ... ojia05.jpg

I also give Monster X props for being one of Godzilla's most powerful foes having been probably the only monster in Final Wars to actually go one-on-one with one of Godzilla's most powerful incarnations unlike the rest that were rag dolled out of the way as if like nothing. I'd say he's probably up there in the high tiers like Destoroyah, SpaceGodzilla and King Ghidorah.
I don't know about him being top tier. I think he'd be in the mid tier range.
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Coobzilla03 wrote:I don't know about him being top tier. I think he'd be in the mid tier range.
The only reason I think he's high tier is because he was the only monster in FW to go 1 on 1 with one of the most powerful Godzilla incarnations even before turning into Keizer Ghidorah and he would've killed him had the Gotengo not interfered with charging him.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

It is hard to compare when Final Wars seems to operate in a universe with different laws of physics. But Monster X was demonstrably stronger than Hedorah, probably the highest benchmark available in the film; in terms of villains, that theoretically makes him pretty potent. (Again, as much as comparison is possible, considering how vastly differently from the norm this film operates).

While I'm not a fan of overly-humanoid monsters, I really dig Monster X's design. He's my second-favorite original monster in the Millenium series (after Orga), and third-favorite original monster since the end of the Showa series. Keiser Ghidorah is a lame execution of a monster I already had contempt for, so not so much there- but Monster X has a great look, for my money.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I really like Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah is okay. I really like the humanoid shape of X and it makes sense since this Godzilla had a lighter suit for more melee fighting...Which is why we only see them tussle for about thirty seconds. It'd be amazing if we got an action scene between the two where X keeps changing shape, back and forth from his speedy first form to his more powerful second. That kind of happened in Rage Across Time #5. I certainly enjoyed that briefer fight more than Monster X in Godzilla Ongoing.

I guess Keizer Ghidorah is a little redundant in a way but I sort of like the four legged Ghidorah look, like Death Ghidora of course. It just relied too much on gravity beams and just sort of threw in a kick or two.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Monster X definitely looks rather demonic in comparison to other beasties of Toho's menagerie, and certainly feels comfortable among Destoroyah and Desghidorah, who look as hellish and creepy as him. He really looks like a skeletal predalien albeit without dreadlocks and his roars are kinda similar. A killer design and a badass fighting style and actitude to boot.
His Keizer Ghidorah does look rather sweet too, and his roars are very chilling.

Tomzilla
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by Tomzilla »

Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah represent a startling dichotomy for me. What I like and dislike about one, I happen to dislike and like about the other. I'll explain.

I like Monster X's grim dark, anthropomorphic design. With a few enhancements, Monster X has the workings of a memorable antagonist. While I like Monster X's look, I'm not fond of how he was portrayed. It's nice that he stalemated Godzilla for a time, clearly a demonstration of his physical prowess. But the problem with Monster X is he reminded me more of a Final Boss from a forgettable video game. Not once did I think, "Godzilla might not win this fight! Uh-oh!" While the mystique of Monster X's backstory might not sound interesting to many, I think more time should've been spent on building him up as both a character and a credible threat. Yes, it's true, Monster X would steamroll most kaiju, but how his character was presented within the framework of the film's story made me think he never was a serious player.

Keizer Ghidorah is the opposite; I hate his design. He doesn't look threatening at all. It seriously would've been preferable to have just gone with Grand King Ghidorah, or to have given Keizer's design a serious retooling. The execution was disappointing, because we've seen the filmmakers succeed with similar looking characters, like DesGhidorah. Criticisms of design aside, I loved Keizer Ghidorah's character. He most definitely had the personality of a Ghidorah. The way he would ensnare Godzilla with his Gravity Beams and drop him around on his head, likely for his amusement, was perfect. I liked the gravitational nature of Keizer's Gravity Beams too. It's about time the 'Gravity' part was more emphasized. Keizer Ghidorah was a credible threat. He's easily one of the most powerful kaiju Godzilla has ever faced. Keizer Ghidorah was a sadistic, omnicidal fiend that, well, looked like a bloated reject from the circus.
Monster Sightings Video: GHIDORAH | King of Terror!
“Everyone, deep in their hearts, is waiting for the end of the world to come.”

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Monster X was a well designed kaiju. It was menacing to look at, and had a decent fight with Godzilla. Monster X was a good final enemy for Godzilla, and I felt it might have been better had it been given more room to shine.

Keiser Ghidorah had the power, but it just didn't work in the looks department. This was a poorly done version of Ghidorah, and it was disappointing since Monster X had the potential to be the final final foe. I'll concede that I found KG sufficiently strong, but that's all.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't love Keizer Ghidorah.

I dunno, I just found the character design lacking. It looks so bad. I mean, c'mon, why bother sprouting wings when they're not going to be used anyways, and by the looks of it are far too puny and pathetic to lift Keizer Ghidorah's hefty carcass off the ground in the first place. TBH, I woulda just assumed Monster X turn into plain ol' King Ghidorah, or just not transform at all. Or just grow the wings and run with it, like in that picture GodzillaFan1990's posted.

Fyrstorm
Ronin

Post by Fyrstorm »

I'll be honest-- Monster X is probably my favourite kaiju from the series. While his design may be slightly humanoid, I don't think it worked to his detriment (the head may have been a little large, and the tail a little thin, but nothing that ruined it), and he certainly made for a unique-looking final fight. In terms of his actual showing in the film, I'd say he hit the mark. It was very nice to see an opponent finally match Finalgoji in a fight, and X actually sold it through solid fighting, rather than beamspam. An example of such; when X grabs Godzilla's hands and lift him up, he's not just lifting him up-- he's snapping Godzilla's wrists. If Goji didn't have his healing factor (and this wasn't 'his movie'), close inspection gives the idea that X could have won*. That's not to mention that his attacks actually hurt Godzilla, and he was pretty resilient to whatever Godzilla and Mothra threw at him.

In summation; I really like both Monster X's design, and the skill he displayed in his fight against Godzilla.

Keizer Ghidorah... is, unsurprisingly, a bit of a letdown for me. While he kept up the threat of X against Godzilla, and outweighed Godzilla's (initial) strength, his design was pretty poor. Other than the obvious tiny-wing issue, and his somewhat odd legs/back half, he just... doesn't look like X. I'd have appreciated some hints of X's armour, at least, just to tie them together. That's not to say I dislike(d) Keizer, I just found him lacking. Of course, Keizer was even more lacking after Godzilla recharged-- lacking his heads, that is ;) *badjoke*

*Possibly. From a meta perspective, he obviously couldn't have won, but otherwise there is that possibility. Again, X was basically equal to Final Wars Godzilla in strength, and Godzilla was using his healing factor to negate his more serious injuries in record speed, while X just tanked everything**.
**I'm not saying "oh, X would beat Godzilla hand's down" here, just that there's evidence to suggest that the fight could have easily gone the other way.
Just some nerd with a silly fascination for giant robots.
Rodan wrote:
Vatarian wrote: I'll send flowers
There are two things you don't know about flowers.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I actually really like Monster X. He's a very neat foe and really looks badass and demonic. He is one of my favorite Kaiju for that reason. As well as his badass entrance. Really liked that entrance.

Keizer Ghidorah kinda sucks. I like his powers, but that's almost it. His design is mediocre. Not bad but not good as well. Rather, it's the proportions that are awful. His wings were very small and his legs look like they should not support that huge body of his. I also don't think he is as powerful as many proclaim him to be. But yeah, Monster X is really cool, but Keizer Ghidorah kinda sucks in my opinion.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I actually agree with Tom here. Shocker.
Keizer Ghidorah was a sadistic, omnicidal fiend that, well, looked like a bloated reject from the circus.
What are some key features of a Ghidorah. Three heads? Yep, Keizer's got them. Gold? Mixed with some black, but still there. Giant majestic wings? Sorry, we blew our budget on the pimp scene, I guess? Even DesGhidorah had dinky wings, but then got giant ones when he succ'd enough life essence from trees.

Although, I have to disagree with Monster X's design. He looks like he'd fit in with a more recent Super Sentai Series or Kamen Rider then with Godzilla. Heck, there was a monster very similar to him in Ultraman Cosmos, Mudon.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Krackiwak
Young Farmer

Post by Krackiwak »

I think Monster X was a cool design, has a very ultraman vibe, Interesting silhouette, and really stood out compared to the rest of the kaiju in final wars. Keizer is disappointing though, with Death Ghidorah being a much more interesting take on a 4 legged Ghidorah. The Keizer suit is so lifeless, it goes against the bombastic nature of the film.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

Lame and disappointing. This kaiju is horribly designed, uninteresting, and just all around bland. :?

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

For me, he is VERY underrated. He's pretty badass in my book. Badass design for both Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah, cool abilities, badass fighting skills, cool, guttural roars, and, if it wasn't for the Gotengo, Keizer Ghidorah would've actually killed Godzilla!

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Keizer Guidora practically killed Godzilla without even breaking a sweat. If it wasn't for Ozaki and his Keizer power that could "rule the universe", our beloved Godzilla would have been defeated without even putting up a fight. However, I agree that the design was subpar.

Monster X has a great design, and was quite proficient in the fighting department. He was an equal to Godzilla when it comes to fighting.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

All I was thinking when Monster X started his transformation was: "No, don't do that, you have a nice design, don't mess this up, ugh, fuck you Ghidorah!"
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

Monster X looked pretty cool. One of the more humaniod Toho kaijus. Keizer Ghidorah is still... Ghidorah. Ghidorah is awesome.
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote:I didn't see a thread about this, so I figured I'd make one. The last monstrous villain of Final Wars, and at the moment the whole of the Japanese Godzilla films. Personally, I love Monster X's design, it's menacing and intimidating, plus we've never really seen a skeletal Kaiju in this franchise. His powers are a bit bland, but I'm okay with it. Keizer Ghidorah is pretty much the opposite. His powers are amazing and unique, but his design leaves a lot to be desired. I like the concept behind it, but the actual monster looks bad. His torso is too small, his legs are too spindly, his necks and tails look weird, and what are those wings?
Next to Orga, my favorite monster of the Millennium era, if not, one of my favorite monsters in the entire series. Monster X's appearence is very chilling, and was an amazing design for Godzilla's (technical) last villian. Like some others have said, I'm not a fan of humanoid monsters, but this is one of the few exceptions. I love how agile and strong Monster X was shown to be in the film, as well as how gigantic he was. Keizer Ghidorah was about as large as Biollante's final form if I remember correctly. However, there are some flaws with the character, specifically Keizer. I really don't like the way he is designed, because he is a bit disproportionate with his very thick necks and weak looking wings. His tails are also very long and very skinny, and they really just don't match up. It doesn't even look like Keizer could fly due to his wings being sideways, and with those small hands at the end of each wing it almost reminds me of a bat. Even with his flaws, Monster X is a very underrated character who is one of Godzilla's most powerful foes.

Maybe I'm going a bit far, but I wish somebody did a match in the K.W.C about Monster X going against everyone, or at least a lot of other daikaiju.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.