Is the lDW run dead?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Is the lDW run dead?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Bigdog wrote:
Another that would be cool is if Boom got it and they crossed Godzilla over with Power Rangers. Or if the current IDW run could do so, just because I'd always wonder what would happen if Power Rangers really would do with kaiju that are like giant animals instead of sapient aliens.Bonus points if in one of the stories, they turn into Galactabeast like zords for whatever reason from the power of Mothra and combine to fight Monster X.
Toho wouldn't let Dark Horse cross Godzilla over with stuff like The Terminator and Superman. Toho wouldn't allow IDW to cross Godzilla over with stuff like Transformers and Cthulhu. You think Toho would allow Boom to cross Godzilla over with Power Rangers? :lol:

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
Another that would be cool is if Boom got it and they crossed Godzilla over with Power Rangers. Or if the current IDW run could do so, just because I'd always wonder what would happen if Power Rangers really would do with kaiju that are like giant animals instead of sapient aliens.Bonus points if in one of the stories, they turn into Galactabeast like zords for whatever reason from the power of Mothra and combine to fight Monster X.
Toho wouldn't let Dark Horse cross Godzilla over with stuff like The Terminator and Superman. Toho wouldn't allow IDW to cross Godzilla over with stuff like Transformers and Cthulhu. You think Toho would allow Boom to cross Godzilla over with Power Rangers? :lol:
Cause Sentai is as popular in Japan as Godzilla is. But it still won't happen. To 'No, we don't want money' Ho.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Bigdog wrote:
Cause Sentai is as popular in Japan as Godzilla is. But it still won't happen. To 'No, we don't want money' Ho.
I wonder if their minds would change if the reboot's successful, though? Prior to the buyout of Power Rangers from Disney, there was next to nothing in terms of the like that we got today. Heck, there's a Justice League crossover with the original team for instance now. Regardless of either the reboot team or the original, it'd be fascinating to see something of that effect.

They even crossed Godzilla over with Shin Chan of all franchises, something I never thought would happen. I'd argue it'd make as much if not far more logical sense for it to be with Ultraman because Jet Jaguar was created in response to its ast popularity, but I'm not sure if the new manga's that popular in America to warrant a crossover. And even then, that incarnation's not the giant hero iteration of the character. He's some alien hybrid child with armor.

When Legendary does derail the franchise to camp, since that seems to be a pathetically obvious trend with every Godzilla series so far, I sort of hope there's a non-canon or otherwise canon movie where the Justice League fight Godzilla akin to the Marvel run. It'd kind of serve as the perfect way to introduce the Green Lantern since he's a part of the military.

I know that probably won't happen, but it'd be amazing to see that.

RaymondBurr
Samurai

Post by RaymondBurr »

It's not dead. Just swallowed a few cadmium missiles. Buster Moody posted new art on Twitter of yet unannounced next series.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bustermoody/ ... 20/photo/1

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

RaymondBurr wrote:It's not dead. Just swallowed a few cadmium missiles. Buster Moody posted new art on Twitter of yet unannounced next series.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bustermoody/ ... 20/photo/1
I'm not familiear with this guy, but that artwork is pretty cool. I can only hope this mean IDW will still be around for a while.

Added in 12 minutes 17 seconds:
Edit: After doing a little digging, no. This is not for an unannounced series. It's just a commission piece.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

RaymondBurr
Samurai

Post by RaymondBurr »

Ah ok! Thanks for the additional info, MM. Moody previously worked on the Godzilla in Hell miniseries for IDW. I had incorrectly assumed a piece of that calibur and detail could only be for another published project. The picture on Facebook is exellent though, looks fantastic in black & white!

Kaijusamurai
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaijusamurai »

Hey guys! Your friendly Uncle Matt here :)
I saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. While I can't say exactly what's going on over at IDW (I've been inquiring but no definitive answers thusfar), I will say that, regardless on whether or not they continue making books, I really appreciate how much you guys have been talking about the books over here on TK. Godzilla certainly wouldn't have happened at IDW (nor would it have continued for so long) without Chris Mowry, but YOU guys, the fans, are the reason we kept doing it. So I appreciate all of the feedback and chatter, both positive and negative ;)

On the bright side, I've been using the down-time to finally work on THE LAST HOPE, my Gamera tribute comic! Also, a company I've been working with in Japan, Phase 6, is currently releasing Rulers of Earth in Japan, and it's been doing fairly well last I heard! We've had collaboration covers between myself, Shinji Nishikawa, and Naoto Tsushima (of Transformers) thusfar, and more coming! Also, we're hoping to pursue new projects in the future, so stay tuned for that!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

It's a shame they've been leaving you in the dark as well, but I guess it can't really be helped. A little Gamera in the meantime definitely doesn't hurt, and good to hear GROE's been doing well in Japan.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Gamera comics would probably sell about as well as Godzilla comics (one isn't aware of the former without being a fan of the latter) and be far cheaper and easier to create since Daiei/Kadokawa isn't run by assholes. Hell, Dark Horse did it, it's not unfathomable for IDW to do it.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Gamera comics would sell about as well as Godzilla? The monsters Gamera fights suck even though the writers make them unstoppable, which does nothing to make the movies I've seen entertaining. Once in a while you see a Godzilla foe that sucks, but that usually only happens in the movies with a mech or Gigan. If they were to do a Godzilla vs. Gamera story, I wouldn't mind; but I'd prefer one that makes my favorite one to win, since the writers made a convenient weakness for Gamera, so I'd like to see the fight take place at the South Pole. The only other Godzilla foe that I haven't mentioned that looks like he sucks in the movie is Battra, but the comics made him look awesome in larva stage. Anguirus didn't look that great in the old movies, but Godzilla: Final Wars made him look better.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Anguirus didn't look that great in the old movies, but Godzilla: Final Wars made him look better.
Trigger'd.

Anyway, I'd buy the hell out of IDW Gamera comics, especially if Matt Frank was onboard. I can also see Kadokawa being a lot less uptight about crossovers as well. And the idea of Gamera fighting Decepticons, Mars Attacks, Ghostbusters... it just makes my mouth water. Gamera vs. Ghost Gyaos PLEASE.

Quote of the Year:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Imagine a Gamera/Cthulhu crossover yo. :shock:

I always felt such a crossover fitted much more then with Godzilla due to Gamera's Atlantean origin and ancient civilization theme going for it. Hell if Dark Horse Comics could pick up Gamera once again, I'd be all up for a Gamera/Hellboy crossover. Hellboy seems to have enough lovecraftian like mythos behind it to make such a crossover work.

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

MM Raids Again wrote:
Anguirus didn't look that great in the old movies, but Godzilla: Final Wars made him look better.
Trigger'd.

Anyway, I'd buy the hell out of IDW Gamera comics, especially if Matt Frank was onboard. I can also see Kadokawa being a lot less uptight about crossovers as well. And the idea of Gamera fighting Decepticons, Mars Attacks, Ghostbusters... it just makes my mouth water. Gamera vs. Ghost Gyaos PLEASE.
What do you mean you'd buy the heck out of IDW Gamera comics? Are you saying you didn't buy the IDW Godzilla issues? I forgot about one other Godzilla monster that didn't look that great, Battra. I didn't care for his larva form in Godzilla & Mothra: Battle for the Earth, but IDW made him look awesome.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Jason wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Trigger'd.

What do you mean you'd buy the heck out of IDW Gamera comics? Are you saying you didn't buy the IDW Godzilla issues? I forgot about one other Godzilla monster that didn't look that great, Battra. I didn't care for his larva form in Godzilla & Mothra: Battle for the Earth, but IDW made him look awesome.
God bless, Jason Irelan
Nope. I bought the Trade Paperbacks.

Quote of the Year:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Hopefully we get something soon, I'd rather not see another dry-spell of Godzilla comics, especially with the sequel beginning production this year.
Jason wrote:
What do you mean you'd buy the heck out of IDW Gamera comics? Are you saying you didn't buy the IDW Godzilla issues?
How in the flaming blue hell did you come to this conclusion?

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

Because the person would buy the heck out of Gamera comics, except he or she didn't say heck; and the person made it sound like Gamera was the preference for some strange reason. Gamera himself looks good, but I can't honestly say the same for his monster costars. I'm disappointed in the latest Godzilla movie. I forget the title because there was an Independent Day movie with a similar title. It's disappointing because I already know Godzilla is the only monster, and they haven't done a darn thing with Kamoebas. The circles said he'd be in Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, and it was nothing more than a teaser, and I hate teasers when it comes to monster costars. IDW did it with Kamoebas twice; and in the second issue of Godzilla in Hell, they did with two more monsters, Scylla and Charybdis. If someone has the creative to do something with those three monsters, then why not do it, so fans can see what they're like instead of aggravating people? I did have a personal request. It's where Godzilla battles a seven-headed giant monster that looks like the one described in the 16th chapter of Revelation. It's Satan in the Bible. When IDW had their discussion forum up, someone told me it would be unlikely that they would have Godzilla battle Satan and gave reasons; but they wouldn't have to call it Satan.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gamera himself looks good, but I can't honestly say the same for his monster costars.
I'll take Barugon and Guiron over the likes of Jet Jaguar and Titanosaurus any day of the week.

Quote of the Year:

Jason
Samurai

Post by Jason »

I've seen Barugon; and like so many others, he looks crappy. I've never seen a Gamera movie where he fights a monster that looks awesome. I even remember how they talked about Gamera video games in the last issue of G-Fan, and every monster depiction sucked. It's like the only cool looking monster in the movies is the title monster. Titanosaurus may be just another impossibly big tyrannosaurus, but he isn't t bad. I agree about Jet Jaguar because he's a robot, and I feel Too has a tendency to overdo it with robots and mechs. They also overdid it with that cyborg Gigan by giving him three movies. I remember reading at least one or two of the Mark Cerasini books, and it seems like he said Megalon was a cyborg. If that's true, he doesn't look as -------- as Gigan does.
God bless, Jason Irelan

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I've never seen a Gamera movie where he fights a monster that looks awesome.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote of the Year:

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:I'm going to miss getting a Godzilla comic every month. :cry:
Me to, it was a really nice treat to head down to my local comic book shop once a month and check all the neat things they have there, while getting what ever new Godzilla comic was released.

Added in 3 minutes 3 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:
I've never seen a Gamera movie where he fights a monster that looks awesome.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Gamera's enemy's are some of the most creative and coolest Kaiju out there.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!