Is the lDW run dead?

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Is the lDW run dead?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Apologies in advance if this has already been addressed but I'm curious if the IDW Godzilla run is dead or on indefinite hiatus. We haven't had any updates or statuses on future releases, which is unusual given that we usually have hints months prior. On top of that, Godzilla Rage Across Time's final few issues got released way ahead of schedule and the paperback released a week after the final one.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Re: Is the lDW run dead?

Post by KlenSeven »

KlenSeven wrote:
codycameron09 wrote:Speaking of which... are there gonna be any more Godzilla comics??? I haven't heard anything. :(
Back in September i was talking to a well known comic writer that had a pretty cool (though unfortunately rejected) pitch for a mini that said IDW wasn't planning to re-up the license. Haven't heard anything more solid from anyone closer to IDW though, so who knows.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Nobody knows for sure, but I don't think IDW's Godzilla series has ended, seeing how that RULERS OF EARTH is their best comic that seemed to be a love letter to Godzilla fans, maybe they're busy working on the next story.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

KlenSeven wrote:
KlenSeven wrote:
codycameron09 wrote:Speaking of which... are there gonna be any more Godzilla comics??? I haven't heard anything. :(
Back in September i was talking to a well known comic writer that had a pretty cool (though unfortunately rejected) pitch for a mini that said IDW wasn't planning to re-up the license. Haven't heard anything more solid from anyone closer to IDW though, so who knows.
Dam I really hope this isn't true! Although there last two series were pretty bad.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:seeing how that RULERS OF EARTH is their best comic that seemed to be a love letter to Godzilla fans
RoE was very much "for the fans", but it didn't sell all that great. Issue 25 (a milestone for the longest running Godzilla series and an extra long issue) was VERY close to not even making the Diamond top 300. 6000 copies is decent enough but the same month the "Minions" comic sold 9000+ and another licensed IDW series, JEM* sold nearly 3 times as much at 15,000+ copies. From a business perspective when it comes down to the time and money spent on Godzilla RoE, it would have been better for IDW to have run a couple minis instead. As a fandom we should be VERY grateful to Chris Mowry for championing the series and the franchise, without him IDW would probably have let the license expire after KoM.

* I'm not ripping on Jem, the artist is a huge Gamera fan and sometime collector of vinyl figures, also check out her work on 'Glory' if you're looking for an unconvential superhero book

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

We need IDW to do Gamera. :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KlenSeven wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:seeing how that RULERS OF EARTH is their best comic that seemed to be a love letter to Godzilla fans
RoE was very much "for the fans", but it didn't sell all that great. Issue 25 (a milestone for the longest running Godzilla series and an extra long issue) was VERY close to not even making the Diamond top 300. 6000 copies is decent enough but the same month the "Minions" comic sold 9000+ and another licensed IDW series, JEM* sold nearly 3 times as much at 15,000+ copies. From a business perspective when it comes down to the time and money spent on Godzilla RoE, it would have been better for IDW to have run a couple minis instead. As a fandom we should be VERY grateful to Chris Mowry for championing the series and the franchise, without him IDW would probably have let the license expire after KoM.

* I'm not ripping on Jem, the artist is a huge Gamera fan and sometime collector of vinyl figures, also check out her work on 'Glory' if you're looking for an unconvential superhero book
I feel satisfied by the run, it could have easily been just KOM and HGM and in grateful how much variety we got.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

You know it's funny. I am Facebook friends with Chris Mowry at IDW and normally with everyone I ask he gets back to me with haste. But everytime I ask him or comment whether or not another Godzilla comic is in the works, he ignores it...

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

I feel satisfied by the run, it could have easily been just KOM and HGM and in grateful how much variety we got.
I'am not really that satisfied, a lot of they're earlier series were poorly written recycled story lines from the movies.I wish they would have come up with more original stories featuring Godzilla, kind of like in hell.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I sent a message about it to Matt Frank the other day. His response was "no idea." I personally hope not.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Isn't Frank a freelancer (rather than an IDW employee)?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

KlenSeven wrote:Isn't Frank a freelancer (rather than an IDW employee)?
You'd have to ask him for more information. But I'm fairly sure he has his sources as well.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

I think it's over. IDW runs off licenses and I do not think Godzilla hasn't made them as much as it could have.

I mean it the number ones sold well but that was more on speculators than people actually picking up minis and series.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I'm going to miss getting a Godzilla comic every month. :cry:

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Most of the issues I read weren't good to begin with. I can't say that I'm sad to see it end.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

I wouldn't be surprised, given the difficulty of working with Toho and the low sales compared to other licenses.

Honestly, though, only two or three of their Godzilla titles even tried to appeal to those outside a certain subset of hardcore fans. I think they're the best people to have had the U.S. comic license so far, but the way it was used was still kind of a letdown.

All the Toho characters have great potential for anthology titles, so here's hoping in the future someone just as flexible gets ahold of it but is willing to be tighter on quality control, and that Toho also loosens the reins.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Rodan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised, given the difficulty of working with Toho and the low sales compared to other licenses.

Honestly, though, only two or three of their Godzilla titles even tried to appeal to those outside a certain subset of hardcore fans. I think they're the best people to have had the U.S. comic license so far, but the way it was used was still kind of a letdown.

All the Toho characters have great potential for anthology titles, so here's hoping in the future someone just as flexible gets ahold of it but is willing to be tighter on quality control, and that Toho also loosens the reins.
Is it too much to ask if Dark Horse gets it back and they could have their Daimajin guy team up with Mothra in the past like story.

Another that would be cool is if Boom got it and they crossed Godzilla over with Power Rangers. Or if the current IDW run could do so, just because I'd always wonder what would happen if Power Rangers really would do with kaiju that are like giant animals instead of sapient aliens.Bonus points if in one of the stories, they turn into Galactabeast like zords for whatever reason from the power of Mothra and combine to fight Monster X.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Bigdog wrote:
Rodan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised, given the difficulty of working with Toho and the low sales compared to other licenses.

Is it too much to ask if Dark Horse gets it back and they could have their Daimajin guy team up with Mothra in the past like story.

Another that would be cool is if Boom got it and they crossed Godzilla over with Power Rangers. Or if the current IDW run could do so, just because I'd always wonder what would happen if Power Rangers really would do with kaiju that are like giant animals instead of sapient aliens.Bonus points if in one of the stories, they turn into Galactabeast like zords for whatever reason from the power of Mothra and combine to fight Monster X.
Keep dreaming.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Well if IDW no longer isn't going to hold the license to do Godzilla. Maybe they could pick up and start doing Gamera or Ultraman perhaps...I'd definitely shed more light in Gamera's case. Ultraman on the other hand I know is somewhat popular outside the kaiju fandom but it'd still bring more attention to him as well.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Well if IDW no longer isn't going to hold the license to do Godzilla. Maybe they could pick up and start doing Gamera or Ultraman perhaps...I'd definitely shed more light in Gamera's case. Ultraman on the other hand I know is somewhat popular outside the kaiju fandom but it'd still bring more attention to him as well.
I'd like to see Gamera comics, but Ultraman because I'd like to see a reprint of the Tiga comics under the IDW license down the road like they did with the Transformers.