Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla/Kaiju General Releases Thread (Ask questions here!)

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Is the Toho Blu-ray of Tokyo SOS any better than the Sony one visually? It got a little better as the movie went on but wow that opening scene with Mothra is pretty rough.
PSN: soilsongs

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

There's a streaming site that has almost all of the Godzilla movies sourced from the Toho Blu-rays (with subs too); I'll PM you the link
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

akanes_kiryu
Interpol Agent

Post by akanes_kiryu »

Thanks!
PSN: soilsongs

tycerium
Samurai

Post by tycerium »

Here's my video with news about the upcoming Shin Godzilla blu-ray/DVD releases and their exclusives, including S.H. MonsterArts Shin Godzilla exclusive figures.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One thing I noticed when it comes to western home-video releases (digital or otherwise) is that the following films, Godzilla, Mothra Vs Godzilla, Invasion of Astro-Monster, All Monsters Attack and Terror of MechaGodzilla have always been grouped into a single collection. As of now, only the first listed has received release on Blu-ray in North America. It has previously been grouped twice in the past by Classic Media, but for some reason, Criterion(who owns the rights to Godzilla 1954) as of now refuses to release any further kaiju films on its catalogue. Assuming they don't change their minds in the near future, which distributer will be most likely to end up choosing to release the other four films?

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

LegendZilla wrote:One thing I noticed when it comes to western home-video releases (digital or otherwise) is that the following films, Godzilla, Mothra Vs Godzilla, Invasion of Astro-Monster, All Monsters Attack and Terror of MechaGodzilla have always been grouped into a single collection. As of now, only the first listed has received release on Blu-ray in North America. It has previously been grouped twice in the past by Classic Media, but for some reason, Criterion(who owns the rights to Godzilla 1954) as of now refuses to release any further kaiju films on its catalogue. Assuming they don't change their minds in the near future, which distributer will be most likely to end up choosing to release the other four films?
The movies you listed, in addition to Godzilla Raids Again and Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster, are all now owned by Dreamworks Classics, which is a subsidiary of Dreamworks Animation, which is owned by NBCUniversal. Criterion does not, and has never, owned the rights to any Godzilla movie, they merely sub-licensed home media rights for Godzilla (1954).

That being said, at this point, it is unlikely that Dreamworks Classics has any 1080p (or higher quality) elements of the latter six Godzilla films. If they did have HD elements, then Dreamworks Classics or a sub-licensee would have surely released those films on Blu-ray at this point (particularly around the Godzilla (2014) release window, with the majority of the other Godzilla titles).

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

The rights to that package of films G, MvG, IoAM, AMA and ToMG, were secured by UPA/Henry Saperstein by the late 1970s. Rodan and War of the Gargantuas were also part of that deal. He licensed the films out for broadcast and home video releases to Paramount and later Scimitar. When he died, Classic Media bought UPA's rights.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:There's a streaming site that has almost all of the Godzilla movies sourced from the Toho Blu-rays (with subs too); I'll PM you the link
Be a pal and give me a link? :huge:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Despite what I said last page, it looks like DAM is not OOP, just out of stock. So, no need to rush to get it.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Oh, now you tell me... ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:There's a streaming site that has almost all of the Godzilla movies sourced from the Toho Blu-rays (with subs too); I'll PM you the link
Toho would flip if we found out.

Added in 9 hours 39 minutes 52 seconds:
Great Hierophant wrote:The rights to that package of films G, MvG, IoAM, AMA and ToMG, were secured by UPA/Henry Saperstein by the late 1970s. Rodan and War of the Gargantuas were also part of that deal. He licensed the films out for broadcast and home video releases to Paramount and later Scimitar. When he died, Classic Media bought UPA's rights.
Mind if I coin a new term for said package of films for us fans to use on these forums (and potentially elsewhere on the web)? Why not the UPA pack or Saperstein pack?

Added in 15 hours 9 minutes 41 seconds:
Assuming the Archival disc format becomes a plentiful home video format, perhaps we might see Nbc/Universal (who owns Classic Media) might end up releasing the UPA/Sapertstein pack on said format.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:
Hey don't leave me out guys!
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I would love to have a UPA/Saperstein pack, especially the US version of FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, not the Media Blasters version where they just use the Japanese cut with the dub. Just plain haphazard
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

FCtW might be one to try reconstructing in the future. I've got a bunch of Godzilla films already lined up, but I might have a whack at some other ones once I've got those are done. My initial thoughts were to do Rodan and Mothra, but someone's already done Rodan and the US version of Mothra can be found in HD on iTunes, so it looks like I'll be getting to some of the more obscure ones sooner than anticipated.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Cool. You seemed to answer the prayers of fans that Toho couldn't fulfill. Keep up the good work! :huge:

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Anyone know who is picking up the rights to GvsMechaG and SonOfG on DVD/BR?

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

There's been no word on it, no. A year or two ago there were supposedly talks with some unknown company, but clearly that was either BS, or the deal fell through.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I'm surprised Kraken hasn't swooped in and grabbed them.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I'm surprised they didn't grab them in 2014 with the other three titles they got. Maybe they just couldn't afford them, but why they passed on Mechagodzilla, especially, still makes no sense to me.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yep im still waiting for a release of Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 1974 and Son of Godzilla 1967.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos