IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by tbeasley »

I remember way back when KOM was starting IDW said the monsters would be introduced in chronological order reflecting the films which went out the window pretty quick. If they ever started an ongoing again (which would be great following Legendary and Shin) it'd be nice to see that with a real sense of story progression, almost like an animated series.

Have there been any major updates to their kaiju roster?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

tbeasley wrote:I remember way back when KOM was starting IDW said the monsters would be introduced in chronological order reflecting the films which went out the window pretty quick. If they ever started an ongoing again (which would be great following Legendary and Shin) it'd be nice to see that with a real sense of story progression, almost like an animated series.

Have there been any major updates to their kaiju roster?
They added Orochi in Rage Across Time #1. And there's a brief cameo by the H-man
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

There's an H man cameo?
Someone should post it, and the half human cameo

And the Orochi used in the comic isn't tohos so he doesn't count
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Well, it was fun while it lasted. I wonder who's the next comic company to get the rights to use Godzilla if it isn't IDW again.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Is there a reason Toho doesn't like crossovers? I know for a fact that it gets new eyes on different properties and it can bring new fans in.

Godzilla I think would have done well in the idw crossover world.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:Well, it was fun while it lasted. I wonder who's the next comic company to get the rights to use Godzilla if it isn't IDW again.
What? What are you talking about?
Godzilla

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Unneeded doom and gloom talk. At least wait for them to release Rage Against Time on trade paperback first.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

2004Zilla wrote:Unneeded doom and gloom talk. At least wait for them to release Rage Against Time on trade paperback first.
DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Resized Image

It has been so long since I have been able to use this.
Godzilla

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

g2vd wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Unneeded doom and gloom talk. At least wait for them to release Rage Against Time on trade paperback first.
DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... 1_1280.jpg]

It has been so long since I have been able to use this.
Bad joke is bad.

More on topic plz.
I need to pick up Rage Across Time - i've been slacking.

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

The trade has been out for about a month now. They released the last two issues of the mini AND the trade in the same month, ostensibly to get them in under the license expiration (although that's not official).

With Shin's big box office the licensing fees for Godzilla might have increased to the point where IDW can't turn a profit-again, only speculation. They are releasing ROE in Japan, but that would be a different license. It wouldn't surprise me to see them pick it up again, though.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Amazon lists the release date for April 18th, 2017. I think you're referring to Oblivion .

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

2004Zilla wrote:Amazon lists the release date for April 18th, 2017. I think you're referring to Oblivion .
No, I have the Rage Across Time trade right here. You can go to Things From Another World's website and order a copy. I have no idea what's up with Amazon.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Matt Frank was upset since they rushed out the rage across time trade in a hurry they didn't let him know so the cover he made for it went to waste

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Tatsunoshi wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Amazon lists the release date for April 18th, 2017. I think you're referring to Oblivion .
No, I have the Rage Across Time trade right here. You can go to Things From Another World's website and order a copy. I have no idea what's up with Amazon.
Midtown Comics also has it available for order, and listed its release date as 11/30/2016.

It was an interesting 5-6 year run with the IDW books....a lot of good, bad, and very ugly all mixed in.

Sorry, but I still for the life cannot figure out how in the f*cking hell Rage Across Time sold so much less than Oblivion....there is no excuse this fandom can make for that nonsense.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

They really shot themselves in the foot with Oblivion it seems.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I feel bad for buying each issue of Oblivion but I mean with no clue I kept buying two issues of Rage Across Time, I'll get two trades too. I'll ship one off to a friend.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Sorry, but I still for the life cannot figure out how in the f*cking hell Rage Across Time sold so much less than Oblivion....there is no excuse this fandom can make for that nonsense.
How do you know this?

And if I might interject to this statement. a bonus that came to Oblivion was that it came off the heels of a very successful and appraised comic Mini Series as well and if you look at the sales data it clearly shows that fact so it made sense for it to have grossed so much money, and obviously since many people found the series underwhelming (Anyone who has the AUDICITY to say that it is worse than KOM SHOULD BE FORCED to re-read KOM OVER AND OVER AGAIN until they agree that should be burned at the stake.) it seems reasonable that many might have felt burned by it so they didn't feel much reason to go back and read Rage. also, of note Rage Against Time came out many months after In Hell by like a Year? (give or take) so it stands to reason the general casual comic book fans would have likely moved on by that point, as their excitement for Godzilla material had drifted below the point of really caring. and for a third possibility it's possible they didn't find the concept as interesting as In Hell and Oblivion merely had the benefit of popping up at the right time to capitalize on the dwindling excitement shared after In Hell and those causals believed that it would be In Hell but through a Dimensional filter and so on and forth. also Time Travel is a well used plot device so that could also factor in.

Basically a combination of that and other reasons for different cases.
Godzilla

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

miguelnuva wrote:Is there a reason Toho doesn't like crossovers? I know for a fact that it gets new eyes on different properties and it can bring new fans in.

I'm pretty sure IDW wanted to use Godzilla in their Cthulhu crossover event but Toho wouldn't allow it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Is there a reason Toho doesn't like crossovers? I know for a fact that it gets new eyes on different properties and it can bring new fans in.

I'm pretty sure IDW wanted to use Godzilla in their Cthulhu crossover event but Toho wouldn't allow it.
Dark Horse also wanted to crossover Godzilla with Terminator and Predator.

if those were successful I am sure they would have tried Alien next.
Godzilla

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

g2vd wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:

Dark Horse also wanted to crossover Godzilla with Terminator and Predator.

if those were successful I am sure they would have tried Alien next.
The Cthluhu crossover would have been cool to see and I know I would have ended up buying the entire crossover to follow that storyline. As for Darkhorse that we have defentily brought some new eyes to the Godzilla comic between Terminator, Predator and possibly Alien.

Toho needs to untighten that leash on Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image