IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Re: IDW's GODZILLA General Discussion

Post by KlenSeven »

Who wrote the DH Godzilla v Dinosaurs issue? The same guy that painted that cover... Mr Bob Eggleton. Which of course was plagiarized by Toho in RoM3... but thats another story. :)

http://www.tohokingdom.com/news/2009/01 ... rview.html

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm hoping the 4th issue involves Godzilla in Ancient Egypt.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

g2vd wrote:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:
g2vd wrote: Hey! while that may be awesome that's totally plagiarism!
How is it plagiarism? All I did was copy and paste the image address.
They totally stole the idea from Dark Horse's Time Travel Saga. :lol:
Can you plagiarize something within its own intellectual product? Couldn't you say many Godzilla films are plagiarizing older films through callbacks and references?

Anyways, hoping for Grand King Ghidorah for 5, or Megaguirus and Gorosaurus.

A few months ago I actually wrote out a plot of Godzilla fighting Gorosaurus and Megaguirus in the past, only for there to be a draw, and a plot twist with the futurians from GVKG showing up at the end presumably to get the monsters.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Does anyone have a set date for when the first issue for the new series? The SciFi Japan article lists August and with the way IDW has been with their releases lately it'd be nice to have a firm date.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

B34sT wrote:Does anyone have a set date for when the first issue for the new series? The SciFi Japan article lists August and with the way IDW has been with their releases lately it'd be nice to have a firm date.
I believe August 24th is the answer you're looking for. ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

g2vd wrote:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:Image
Hey! while that may be awesome that's totally plagiarism!
Yes this kind of thing has been done before with the Dark Horse series but it's hardly plagiarism. I see it's more of a throwback to that series. Plus there are so many things that Godzilla could get himself into during the time of the dinosaurs. also, he's fighting Kaiser Ghidorah! I don't remember THAT happening in the Dark Horse series. So yeah, it's the same idea but I can tell it's gonna be a different story. Now if Godzilla wakes up at the end and sees a piece of Kaiser Ghidorah's tail in his hand... then yeah you could argue plagiarism.

Added in 17 hours 32 minutes 18 seconds:
codycameron09 wrote:
g2vd wrote:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:Image
Hey! while that may be awesome that's totally plagiarism!
Yes this kind of thing has been done before with the Dark Horse series but it's hardly plagiarism. I see it's more of a throwback to that series. Plus there are so many things that Godzilla could get himself into during the time of the dinosaurs. also, he's fighting Kaiser Ghidorah! I don't remember THAT happening in the Dark Horse series. So yeah, it's the same idea but I can tell it's gonna be a different story. Now if Godzilla wakes up at the end and sees a piece of Kaiser Ghidorah's tail in his hand... then yeah you could argue plagiarism.
On another not, let's post what we think is the best to worst IDW Godzilla series...

1. Rulers of Earth
2. Half-Century War
3. Godzilla
4. Cataclysm
5. Rage Across Time
6. Legends
7. Gangsters and Goliaths
8. In Hell
9. Kingdom of Monsters
10. Oblivion

Yeah I know Rage Across Time only has 1 issue but I really liked it and the rest of the series looks awesome!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Can you plagiarize something within its own intellectual product? Couldn't you say many Godzilla films are plagiarizing older films through callbacks and references?
Yes you can, actually, as mind-bendingly stupid as that sounds. I've seen it happen to students before, and no amount of pointing out the obvious and how stupid it is helps when the school has a zero-tolerance policy toward plagiarism. >_>

The arbitrating body would have to be the IP owner (so, Toho), I think, if the dispute is a claim of plagiarism by one licensee against another licensee.

Added in 6 minutes 26 seconds:
codycameron09 wrote:On another not, let's post what we think is the best to worst IDW Godzilla series...

1. Rulers of Earth
2. Half-Century War
3. Godzilla
4. Cataclysm
5. Rage Across Time
6. Legends
8. In Hell
9. Kingdom of Monsters
10. Oblivion

Yeah I know Rage Across Time only has 1 issue but I really liked it and the rest of the series looks awesome!
For me:

1. Rulers of Earth
2. Half-Century War
3. Legends
4. In Hell
5. Cataclysm
6. Gangsters and Goliaths
7. Godzilla
8. Oblivion
9. Kingdom of Monsters

Can't rank Rage Across Time - haven't read the first issue yet! Cataclysm and In Hell were hard to pick between: I think Godzilla In Hell #1 is better than every issue of Cataclysm, but Cataclysm was an overall better series than Godzilla In Hell was. The two are basically tied.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

codycameron09 wrote:On another not, let's post what we think is the best to worst IDW Godzilla series...

1. Rulers of Earth
2. Half-Century War
3. Godzilla
4. Cataclysm
5. Rage Across Time
6. Legends
8. In Hell
9. Kingdom of Monsters
10. Oblivion
Excluding Rage Across Time for obvious reasons, and closer to a favorite-least fave list:

1.) In Hell
2.) Rulers of Earth
3.) Legends
4.) Godzilla (History's Greatest Monster)
5.) Cataclysm
6.) Half-Century War
7.) Gangsters & Goliaths
8.) Oblivion
9.) Kingdom of Monsters

First issue of Rage Across Time was fun, though; if the entire run were like that, it'd easily place in the top 3.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

RaymondBurr
Samurai

Post by RaymondBurr »

Can't resist a good ranking poll :)

1. Godzilla: Half Century War
2. Godzilla: Gangsters & Goliaths
3. Godzilla in Hell
4. Godzilla: Rulers of Earth
5. Godzilla: Cataclysm
6. Godzilla: Legends
7. Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters
8. Godzilla (History's Greatest Monster)
9. Godzilla: Oblivion

A couple things I will mention. First is that I've found all of IDW's Godzilla projects really enjoyable, except for Oblivion. I understand why people didnt like KoM, but it holds up well in trades in terms of the story. Its fun, unless you just cant accept Hester & Santos on art, or take pop culture/political comments personally. Oblivion, however, is extremely decompressed and it hurts the storytelling. Personally, the series was so decompressed that the whole thing felt like filler/placeholder until Rage could be published.

One other thing that I think bears repeating is just how great the story is in Gangsters & Goliaths! A really creative way of involving kaiju (Mothra in particular) directly in the plot, as a character in the story. The gangster angle also really made it feel like a great, lost Toho project from the Showa period, recalling the likes of Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster and Dogora.

IDW has given us a lot of good stuff. I'm betting Rage Across Time will rank in the top 3 or top 5 for many of us once it is complete :)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

1. Godzilla in Hell/Godzilla Half Century War
2. Godzilla Rulers of Earth
3. Godzilla Cataclysm
4. Godzilla Legends
5. Godzilla History's greatest monster
6. Godzilla Oblivion
7. Godzilla Kingdom of Monsters.

Really the only two I didn't like we're oblivion and kingdom is monsters. I consider there's a large gap in quality between oblivion and HGM.

Gangsters and Goliaths had shit monster action, but the human story was easily the best out of all the other IDW series.

I rank Cataclysm highly because it does feel like they consistently focused on a select few monsters and made a unique scenario out of them. If only the issue with Megauirus had been focused around an early form of Destroyah instead.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

I FINALLY FINISHED OBLIVION!
Great covers, terrible book. Kingdom 2.0 confirmed. Thanks IDW.

Rage against time starts out nicely. Following.

Godzilla in Hell was amazing minus issuse 3 which almist derailed the whole dang thing qualitywise.

Gamgsters was great. The human story is rare good one for IDW. I like how they used Mothra especially.

And IDW doesn't send my #2s of any book? A conspiracy I say!
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

IDW comic sales were updated.

Surprised to see that Oblivion had a pretty good run, despite the near-universal backlash.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

2004Zilla wrote:IDW comic sales were updated.

Surprised to see that Oblivion had a pretty good run, despite the near-universal backlash.
I guess since it was such a short series (with an interesting-sounding premise - at first, anyways) people stuck around to see if it would get better. I think stuck around until issue 4 and decided to tap out there.

Now what surprises/saddens me is that RoE only got as high in sales as #24!

Scarlet Spider
Interpol Agent

Post by Scarlet Spider »

2004Zilla wrote:IDW comic sales were updated.

Man, Godzilla in Hell was damn fun to read. Glad it's high up there.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Sorry, but how the f*cuk did Oblivion outsell Rage Against Time???? :?: :?: :!: :-? Sure, Rage Against Time had a few mis-steps, but even the worst issue was better than anything Oblivion had to offer. No wonder IDW seems done with this property.

This fandom really makes me shake my head sometimes...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Tatsunoshi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tatsunoshi »

Probably because Oblivion rode the wave of Godzilla in Hell, and Rage Across Time was sunk by the whirlpool of Oblivion.

I'm kind of surprised Rage Across Time #1 had such poor sales. It even went into a second printing, had excellent word of mouth, and fan faves Frank and Robinson. IDW must not have had much confidence in it after Oblivion and ordered a smaller print run.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Wonder what IDW will do with Godzilla next

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wonder could IDW remake some of the unmade Godzilla films Toho has. I would love to read the Return of King Ghidorah showa version in comic form.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

miguelnuva wrote:I wonder could IDW remake some of the unmade Godzilla films Toho has. I would love to read the Return of King Ghidorah showa version in comic form.
A lot of those films are would be a nightmare to get the rights to turn into a comic due to copyright

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

Godzillian wrote:Wonder what IDW will do with Godzilla next
As far as we know... Nothing.

According to some posts I've seen throughout the interwebs, IDW may not want to renew their license with Godzilla. I tried messaging Chris Mowry about this and haven't heard anything back yet. But either way it is alarming. Usually by now we know what IDW is planning after a series ends. But it's been over a month now and there are still no plans on the horizon. So for now I think it's safe to say that we might not be seeing Godzilla anytime soon on comic store shelves. :(