Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #49: MechaGodzilla (Heisei)

Post by Spuro »

EmperorGhidorah wrote:You cannot revive a dead body.
What? What do you think CPR and defibrillators are for?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Contrary to what TV, movies, and videogames may have taught you, defibs do not restart the heart, and chances of CPR reviving someone whose heart has stopped is less than 10%.

If you're dead, you're dead. There ain't no comin' back.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

NSZ wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Contrary to what TV, movies, and videogames may have taught you, defibs do not restart the heart, and chances of CPR reviving someone whose heart has stopped is less than 10%.

If you're dead, you're dead. There ain't no comin' back.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... times.html

http://www.oddee.com/item_98718.aspx

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -booktalk/

Sure, it's a damn low chance, but it happens.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla wasn't dead, though. The sacral brain that was destroyed and then healed was used to send messages to his lower body. He was paralyzed, not dead.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
If a defibrillator or CPR works, you're not really dead then. And, on top of that, the type of damage that Godzilla was suffering from is NOT something CPR or a defibrillator could have fixed.

Goji didn't die.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

Not my favorite Mechagodzilla. I mean it's functional. It's cleanly designed. But it just seems dull. It only sparks up a bit with Garuda attached. But honestly even then the Kiryu versions do it better. This MechaG feels like a transitional or evolutionary version of the character, but not a particularly appealing one in and of itself. Weapons are mostly generic. Except for the defib thingies which seem stupid. As someone said there is never a feeling of empathy or menace from MechaG. This version is just a thing on screen. It lacks the original Showa Mark 1 and Mark 2's feeling evil these machines actually project hatred and a desire for destruction. And it lacks the Kiryu's sense of barely controlled rage. Kiryu is a machine just barely under mans control.

In short Heisei MechaG is simply a robot. A human controlled robot. Duller and less interesting than even Jet Jaguar. Heck even the follow up Moguera as a really cool vehicle surpasses MG2.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

True. It was mainly a weapons platform in the shape of Godzilla.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

This is my second favorite MechaGodzilla, he is one of the suits in the Heisei Era that moved pretty well in my opinion. Like, he moved like a machine would. His powers are also sweet, and with those powers, he was able to paralyze Godzilla.
I also play as him the most in the Godzilla games he is playable in, so he has a soft spot in my heart as well.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I found this incarnation of Mechagodzilla to be pretty cool. Sure not my favorite but I actually like how he is portrayed more being a machine then a character unlike the other two incarnations. Also I know many might disagree but I actually thought Mechagodzilla was Godzilla's most powerful and ultimate enemy being created as the perfect anti-Godzilla weapon. Unlike say SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah, he manage to do something they could not do and that was almost killing Godzilla by leaving him handicapped and Godzilla could've died had Rodan not interfered. Hell I'd argue that Mechagodzilla could've outright murdered SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah the same way he did to Godzilla before Rodan's interference.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I found this incarnation of Mechagodzilla to be pretty cool. Sure not my favorite but I actually like how he is portrayed more being a machine then a character unlike the other two incarnations. Also I know many might disagree but I actually thought Mechagodzilla was Godzilla's most powerful and ultimate enemy being created as the perfect anti-Godzilla weapon. Unlike say SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah, he manage to do something they could not do and that was almost killing Godzilla by leaving him handicapped and Godzilla could've died had Rodan not interfered. Hell I'd argue that Mechagodzilla could've outright murdered SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah the same way he did to Godzilla before Rodan's interference.
Agreed. In fact, I'd say his lack of personality makes him all the more intimidating; it's like the Terminator in Godzilla form. His only goal is to destroy Godzilla, no flare about it.

As much as I love Destoroyah's backstory, MG easily could have fit as the final Heisei enemy, the one that finally killed Godzilla himself.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Mechagigan wrote:As much as I love Destoroyah's backstory, MG easily could have fit as the final Heisei enemy, the one that finally killed Godzilla himself.
I definitely agree on that. In fact now that you mention it. I feel Mechagodzilla should of been.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

My least favorite Mechagodzilla, not saying I dislike it, though. Just for whatever reason never struck me as all that memorable in comparison the Showa Mechagodzilla or Kiryu.
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I agree. Something about it just seems very vanilla to me. It seems to lack personality, as several other commentators have suggested - it is a vehicle, very clearly being piloted, whereas other Mechagodzillas felt as though they were actual characters that he thought. This one waa just a tool- no more than a fighter jet or tank rolled out against Godzilla, except in terms of effectiveness. Really just an extension of the human military machine.

True, this could be said of other robotic Kaiju, including Kiryu during his final battles- but somehow, a number of other robotic characters manage to transcend that element. Whereas this one really feels like it never becomes more than just a fancy airplane that the characters fly around in, to me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well.......... I guess at this point this MG is still the only one to have only one film appearance.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaGoji
GPN Volunteer

Post by GigaGoji »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Well.......... I guess at this point this MG is still the only one to have only one film appearance.
I wish they could have salvaged him or something for SpaceGodzilla and have him replace MOGUERA.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Its my least favorite design of the Mechagodzillas, that's for sure. Nothing beats the harsh industrial look of the 70s and the "Godzilla meets Megazord" look of the Millennium films is a nice balance.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

A cool Mechagodzilla in a TERRIBLE movie.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I actually have a moderately controversial opinion regarding this MechaGodzilla: design wise, I like it quite a bit, likely near the same level as the Showa incarnation. While its design is ultimately less memorable and charming, I do appreciate how machine-like it is, with its chrome coat and cold expression. While I ultimately prefer the Showa version, I find this design to be a worthy successor in most areas.

As for the film it starred in, however? That's a different story...
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Mechagigan wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I found this incarnation of Mechagodzilla to be pretty cool. Sure not my favorite but I actually like how he is portrayed more being a machine then a character unlike the other two incarnations. Also I know many might disagree but I actually thought Mechagodzilla was Godzilla's most powerful and ultimate enemy being created as the perfect anti-Godzilla weapon. Unlike say SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah, he manage to do something they could not do and that was almost killing Godzilla by leaving him handicapped and Godzilla could've died had Rodan not interfered. Hell I'd argue that Mechagodzilla could've outright murdered SpaceGodzilla or Destoroyah the same way he did to Godzilla before Rodan's interference.
Agreed. In fact, I'd say his lack of personality makes him all the more intimidating; it's like the Terminator in Godzilla form. His only goal is to destroy Godzilla, no flare about it.

As much as I love Destoroyah's backstory, MG easily could have fit as the final Heisei enemy, the one that finally killed Godzilla himself.

I too really like the Heisei Mechagodzilla. Heavily armored-more so then all the other Mechagodzilla's, good firepower, decent maneuverability, and the only one to outright kill/mortally wound a kaiju (Rodan) and cripple Godzilla by itself.

Yes, it has the silly grin, but everything else it has going for it makes up for that.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Love this MG. My personal favorite MG actually. I love his mechanical Godzilla roar and shiny finish. Not to mention the insane amount of firepower this machine has. I am hesitant to say he is more powerful than SG or Des like some here do but that is for another topic. However this machine is certainly still among the most powerful of Godzilla's foes and I'd say the most powerful MG we've seen in the movies. I don't like how it has virtually zero melee capability/defense but the firepower it boasts is so fantastic and overwhelming it really didn't need it as we saw with Rodan. While not my favorite in terms of design, it still gets the job done to look like a true MG.