Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Re: Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

Post by Godzilla165 »

^^The design above is even worse. Ghidorah is a golden, and demonic three headed dragon from space with giant fan wings. He isn't a triple headed serpent with the body of an overweight slug, that's even worse than the likes of Keizer. The space element is key to what makes Ghidorah... Ghidorah. Whether one likes it or not, taking that away would be the same as taking away Godzilla's radioactive/nuclear element.

Plus, we as a society haven't even scratched the surface of what's out there in the universe, or even our own galaxy. Keeping Ghidorah's galactic element intact isn't as far out, as one may seem.

#BotM

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Disagree. When I think cosmic horror, a flying golden dragon isn't necessarily the first thing I think. I think something more along the likes of The Thing. Ghidorah's outer space element doesn't work with the supposedly "realistic" take that Legendary is attempting to go with. An atomic fireball hurled from outer space? If we have giant tron-esque parasites in this universe, a meteor blast fusing three separate serpent-like creatures into one isn't that far fetched. There have been plenty of references in multiple cultures/folk tales/legends of many headed dragons. I think I'd prefer an earthly origin for that matter.

Or for Toho to at least go with the idea. Either or I'm fine with. Remember, I'm just a sucker for perturbing and disturbing origins and whatnot, so take what I say as more personal wishlist than actual reality. ; )

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

ToxicLove wrote:Disagree. When I think cosmic horror, a flying golden dragon isn't necessarily the first thing I think. I think something more along the likes of The Thing. Ghidorah's outer space element doesn't work with the supposedly "realistic" take that Legendary is attempting to go with. An atomic fireball hurled from outer space? If we have giant tron-esque parasites in this universe, a meteor blast fusing three separate serpent-like creatures into one isn't that far fetched. There have been plenty of references in multiple cultures/folk tales/legends of many headed dragons. I think I'd prefer an earthly origin for that matter.

Or for Toho to at least go with the idea. Either or I'm fine with. Remember, I'm just a sucker for perturbing and disturbing origins and whatnot, so take what I say as more personal wishlist than actual reality. ; )
Its honestly literally impossible for only one planet in the whole wide universe to have life, so its already realistic to have King Ghidorah be from space which he should be since as Godzilla165 says. Removing King Ghidorah's space origin being the destroyer of worlds who ravages planets is like removing Godzilla's nuclear origin (Which is actually why I'm glad the unmade 1994 american film was never made). It just wouldn't be King Ghidorah. I'd rather they keep it.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

Like how King Ghidorah was actually a spiritual guardian of Japan in GMK? I don't know, I can live with a new origin, though I absolutely understand the folks who want his space origin intact.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

When I think of space creature I think of giant all consuming space amoebas.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah keep King Ghidorah as a space creature. I mean i like the 1991 design just not his origin, i like the 2001 design and the origin. The last time Godzilla fought a space King Ghidorah was back in 1972(Kaiser Ghidorah is from space but isnt King Ghidorah).
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

ToxicLove wrote:Like how King Ghidorah was actually a spiritual guardian of Japan in GMK? I don't know, I can live with a new origin, though I absolutely understand the folks who want his space origin intact.
Ehhhh I for one didn't like King Ghidorah being a good guy nor the origin despite GMK being actually a good movie, that was one of the major flaws IMO and besides it only happened because Toho pressured Kaneko into using King Ghidorah and Mothra instead of Varan and Anguirus.
Stevo_1985 wrote:When I think of space creature I think of giant all consuming space amoebas.

Not everything from space might look alien, for all we know there could be planets with creatures similar to that of earth for all we know hell even resembling dragons. Just pointing that out.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Not everything from space might look alien, for all we know there could be planets with creatures similar to that of earth for all we know hell even resembling dragons. Just pointing that out.
Well an alien could also look like a giant ice cream cone but doesn't mean I have to accept it.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Also, I'd like to point out that the "realistic" and "grounded" approach that Legendary is taking, is meant for how us as a society would react if giant monsters were to actually exist. The Kaiju themselves are the fantastical element.

#BotM

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

A three headed dragon coming from space likely teice as tall as Godzilla is more realistic coming from space than from Earth. Ghidorah needs to be the one thibg not grounded in this franchise.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ScrumpBump
Monarch Researcher

Post by ScrumpBump »

ToxicLove wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Oh for skreeonks sake, ANYTHING but Shin Ghidorah.
Nah, we need more Shin designs.
ScrumpBump wrote: The edge cuts deep.
I guess edge is a popular buzzword then?

Considering this doesn't even begin to fit Legendary's "Updated, but traditional" aesthetics and are actually some decent designs of traditional and cosmic terror, the three-eyed Ghidorah being my personal favorite, Imma gonna buzzword the shit outta these "abomination or bust" designs especially went they don't fit the world of the film.

Aesthetically, it doesn't mesh with me what I'm getting at.
Mistakes "Quote" for "Edit" more often then he wishes to admit .
“People who are brutally honest get more satisfaction out of the brutality than out of the honesty.”

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think the best thing to do with Legendary's Ghidorah is to just not explain his origin. He came from outer space, that's all we need to know.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I honestly don't see Legendary changing any of the kaiju's backstories too drastically. I think doing so takes away a fundamental aspect of their identities. Besides its as I've said before, G14 was not all that realistic to begin with. At least no more so than any of the earlier franchise entries.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The 'grounded, realistic' approach of G2014 is a bit overplayed by some people anyway, there's a crazy scene in that move where they talk about radioactive ecosystems and giant parasites with EMP attacks. If they can be hand wavy about a nuclear powered dinosaur, they can do the same with a huge telepathic moth, a 3 headed space dragon and a supersonic flying pteranodon.

ToxicLove
Interpol Agent

Post by ToxicLove »

ScrumpBump wrote:
Considering this doesn't even begin to fit Legendary's "Updated, but traditional" aesthetics and are actually some decent designs of traditional and cosmic terror, the three-eyed Ghidorah being my personal favorite, Imma gonna buzzword the shit outta these "abomination or bust" designs especially went they don't fit the world of the film.

Aesthetically, it doesn't mesh with me what I'm getting at.
They mesh with me, so there's that. Would maybe make the Legendary films worthwhile even. ; )

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Someone needs to make a thread devoted to Shin kaiju, those Ghidorah look awesome, I hope someone gets dopepope to make more, imagine a Shin King Caesar :lol:

OT- just hoping Rodan looks like it could go 1 on 1 with Godzilla and possibly beat him
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

ScrumpBump wrote: The edge cuts deep.
Nice buzzword. :roll: Try making actual critiques before using an overused buzzword that doesn't even have meaning anymore. Just trying to help, dude.

Anyway...
ToxicLove wrote:Now here's a Ghidorah design I can get behind.

I love these Shin Ghido designs but I don't think that is the right aesthetic for the Legendary series.

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:
ToxicLove wrote:Would maybe make the Legendary films worthwhile even. ; )
Eh. The Legendary movie is alright. Makes the same mistakes as movies from the past but it has some okay stuff in it. I'm genuinely worried they might make Mothra and Ghidorah bland looking though.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I honestly don't see Legendary changing any of the kaiju's backstories too drastically. I think doing so takes away a fundamental aspect of their identities. Besides its as I've said before, G14 was not all that realistic to begin with. At least no more so than any of the earlier franchise entries.
BUT MUH REALISM. :lol: People really do take the film way too seriously. It's an American popcorn flick. They can get away with something similar to the old origins easily. I think a realistic way to go about Mothra's origin is to make her a King Kong type monster. It keeps the mystical element but keeps the "realism" of the Legendary series. As for Ghidorah? A simple "Came from an unknown part of space." will do.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Guys, guys, it's okay. You're all wrong. Ghidorah isn't a dragon, he's a Hydra hence the name being a punny version of Hydra. :P

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Living Corpse wrote:Guys, guys, it's okay. You're all wrong. Ghidorah isn't a dragon, he's a Hydra hence the name being a punny version of Hydra. :P
.....wut?
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tbeasley wrote:The 'grounded, realistic' approach of G2014 is a bit overplayed by some people anyway, there's a crazy scene in that move where they talk about radioactive ecosystems and giant parasites with EMP attacks. If they can be hand wavy about a nuclear powered dinosaur, they can do the same with a huge telepathic moth, a 3 headed space dragon and a supersonic flying pteranodon.
OH MY GOD THIS 1000X!

We're getting a giant moth goddess of peace and world destroying alien that looks like a hydra/dragon and a super sonic pterodactyl. And we got EMP parasite. If anything Legendary is taking few films to escalate into balls to the wall than Toho's first few Godzilla movie. At least Gojira only had Gojira, we already got 3 monsters in the first flick, and Ghidorah took 5 films to show up in GTTHM, we might get Ghidorah by movie 2.