Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by Space Hunter M »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I mean, it seems like maybe not all of the dubs have been properly preserved. Echo Bridge had to use a VHS/LD (I forget which) for the Biollante dub.
Bullshit. If Toho could supply the freaking DIALOGUE STEMS for the RoG dub and have Mechagodzilla II partially redubbed using similar elements, you know they have this stuff. It's always just a matter of money/laziness.

A 35mm release print of the Biollante dub was shown in Hamburg, Germany as late as 2012.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Yeah, losing the final mix but not the stems isn't all that plausible. I just don't see why it would be cheaper/easier to give them the raw dialogue than the whole mix, unless they do something like the whole "inserts" thing they do with the export version visuals and just keep the dialogue track to add to the M+E as needed. (Not that I think that's what they do, but that would at least explain why they decided to just give them the raw dialogue track.)
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Looks like they forgot to add some bits, too:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That's bizarre. One wonders if that's Kraken's mistake or Toho's.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Is that same same mistake thar caused the missing lines on the Sony DVDs, like in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:Is that same same mistake thar caused the missing lines on the Sony DVDs, like in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla?
Some on Hedorah too, SHM's got a couple videos documenting this sort of thing. It doesn't seem to ever be actual lines of dialogue IIRC, just shouts and other sounds.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Some on Hedorah too, SHM's got a couple videos documenting this sort of thing. It doesn't seem to ever be actual lines of dialogue IIRC, just shouts and other sounds.
Probably why they're left out. Easy to miss.
HayesAJones wrote:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

True, but it raises the question of why the opportunity would even arise to miss them. Evidently these dubs aren't always taken from the same master, and they're re-mixed every so often as needed from dialogue stems and a music/effects track. I guess considering that the Int'l visuals are apparently just "inserts" spliced into Japanese and/or textless prints, it kind of looks more and more like that's sort of what they do with the dubs.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

I belive that the dub stems were remixed because Toho wanted Godzilla's scream when he falls into the volcano gone. For what ever reason, they really don't like it.
HayesAJones wrote:

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That does make sense, though it doesn't really account for the other cases
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Barkley
Samurai

Post by Barkley »

I am just eating this Blu Ray up. One of the best G films gets its due in the U.S. of A...it's strange, really, being a fan all of this time yet having to live with the awful G1985 cut for all these years (tho I did resort to a bootleg of ROG VHS back in the 90s). Am I the only one who doesnt care if G85 becomes a lost film?

-Barkley
"It's Charles, not Gnarls".

Proud G-fan since 1968!!

B5Erik
Ronin

Post by B5Erik »

I'm dying to get a Godzilla 1985 DVD/Blu Ray release - it was my first Godzilla movie in the theater, and I'm a fan of Raymond Burr...

But I love G84. It's my 2nd favorite Godzilla movie (after the original). The Japanese version really is superior to G85, but I wish they could have put both out.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Barkley wrote: Am I the only one who doesnt care if G85 becomes a lost film?
Yeah, ya kinda are, "Charles".

-Goji
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

I ripped my the main feature from my disc lossessly using MakeMKV, no more forced subtitles for me.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Barkley wrote:Am I the only one who doesnt care if G85 becomes a lost film?

-Barkley
Nope. I PERSONALLY don't care, but I know a lot of other fans want that version to be around, and I can respect that.

I'm just sort of in a practical position about the whole thing. If they had found a way to include 1985 as well, great, cool, sure thing. But I don't deem it a 'requirement'. The thing I get TICKED about is that in the case of a film like King Kong vs Godzilla, the only version legally available is the US version, in North America we have no access to the theatrical cut and that grinds my gears.

2 versions is fun and a nice bonus, but the original version should always be the priority.

Not all US versions are created equally either. Toho really likes the US version of Godzilla 2000, they approved every change during the process. King of the Monsters helped turn Godzilla into more of a global brand and did a lot for his popularity in the US. Godzilla Raids Again(Gigantis the Fire Monster) and a disgrace to the original vision of that film.

Invasion of Astro Monster, Son of Godzilla, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla vs Hedorah and Destroy All Monsters have changes so minimal they don't even register as alternate versions to me. Same with Terror of MechaGodzilla, US version tacks on a terrible prologue and removes one shot of nudity. That's not an "alternate version".

But I'm giving too much of my opinion on this subject and I wouldn't want to upset anybody who disagrees.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

How is it that you never grow tired of regurgitatating the exact same things you've said a dozen times already? It's unreal.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

If enough people want the US versions to be preserved, they will probably be preserved. In this regard, I am one of many. Fortunately there are talented people here who are willing to put time and effort into presenting the best versions of these films that can be made available with currently available sources.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Goji wrote:How is it that you never grow tired of regurgitatating the exact same things you've said a dozen times already? It's unreal.
This might explain why.

https://youtu.be/wPiHQ37gXnE?t=2m11s

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I figured people that were too sensitive to take an opinion different from their own would get angry and start insulting me. Always looking for trouble.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Chrispy_G wrote:Always looking for trouble.
Yes, you are. You're also this board's best example of a broken record; the worst I've seen in nearly a decade. One needs to look no further than your previous posts. You literally don't know when to STFU, and stay on topic.

You're the instigator here, so don't even try to pretend like you're the victim. I know what you're doing.