Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which title do you prefer?

Invasion of the Astro-Monster
20%
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
34%
Monster Zero
35%
Other
1%
I don't mind
10%

Total votes: 80

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Please feel free to submit your vote and express your reasons why in the comments down below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju Daisenso is relegated to the "other" category, I guess... ;)

Growing up, the VHS said "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero," but through the norms in fandom I always just thought of it as "Monster Zero," and that's the title that tends to roll off my tongue.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero and simply Monster Zero are interchangeable to me. Sort of like how we simply call any other versus film by the enemy monster's name (SpaceGodzilla, Destoroyah, Hedorah, etc.)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzilla vs Monster Zero.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Godzilla vs Monster Zero is what's I've always known it as. So I guess I prefer it. His debut film GTTHM introduced him and the title was appropriate. Monster Zero seems like the same title albeit a different name if that makes sense, almost as if it's reintroducing a new monster. Astro monster just never clicked with me.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like Astromonster better. KG is an invader from space, even if it's under alien control.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

My old Simitar VHS always referred to it as "Godzilla vs Monster Zero", and the title card on the movie said "Monster Zero". I've always known it through those two names, but I slightly prefer "Monster Zero" for simplicity's sake.

"Invasion of Astro Monster" is a really silly sounding title that just reeks of 'Engrish'. It also has nothing to do with the plot: Not once do I recall "Astro Monsters" being present.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Befehl aus dem Dunkel.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Space Hunter M wrote:Befehl aus dem Dunkel.
I opened this thread; it went immediately to this post; I laughed out loud.

I think I use both titles interchangeably and don't particularly care. Though Monster Zero is the better of the two.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Invasion of Astro-Monster
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:My old Simitar VHS always referred to it as "Godzilla vs Monster Zero", and the title card on the movie said "Monster Zero".
Yeah, the Simitar release from 1990 actually used the original theatrical title card (it was sourced from 16mm), and was the one I grew up watching. I remember being confused, because the copy from Paramount that I had rented before I owned it had that ghastly video generated "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" title card, which apparently premiered on TV sometime in the '80s.

Monster Zero is, without a doubt, my preferred English title. Not only is it the original U.S. title, it's mysterious, and isn't clunky like the TV/home video title. Not every single English title for a Godzilla film needs to be "Godzilla vs.", but with that said, I do understand it's importance in trying to get people's attention, whether it was in the TV guide, or in a video store. People respond to Godzilla's name more than anything else.

Invasion of Astro-Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monsters, and Invasion of the Astros are all pretty silly titles (And yes, the last two were used on actual prints before ). Why Toho choose the former to represent the title on home video in the States now is beyond me, but it certainly explains the constant use of that title on these boards for (almost) the past decade. That CM DVD is nearly 10 years old now, so that title has had time to fester.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

edgaguirus wrote:I like Astromonster better. KG is an invader from space, even if it's under alien control.
Pretty much this.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Monster Zero, just always heard it that way.
Resized Image

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Strange Creature Giant War

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Invasion of Astro Monster is a stupid title, and the entire fanbase should reject it on principle.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Invasion Of Astro Monster.

Slag you I like it.
Godzilla

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Legion1979 wrote:Invasion of Astro Monster is a stupid title, and the entire fanbase should reject it on principle.
Please remember that this is all about opinions, and how we express such and not enforce them and others.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Invasion of Astro Monster is a stupid title, and the entire fanbase should reject it on principle.
Please remember that this is all about opinions, and how we express such and not enforce them and others.
I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and suggest that Legion was being playful, and is not actually trying to dictate the preferences of fandom at large.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I WAS being playful. THANK YOU, eabaker.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

eabaker wrote:I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and suggest that Legion was being playful, and is not actually trying to dictate the preferences of fandom at large.
Perhaps.