Monster Discussion #23: Goliath

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
gigan72
Keizer

Monster Discussion #23: Goliath

Post by gigan72 »

Discuss the villainous Goliath from Daigoro vs. Goliath.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion #23: Goliath

Post by soulgodzilla »

I did watch Daigoro Vs. Goliath and boy was it a trip of goofiness that I won't forget. But aside from the film's bizarre characters, Daigoro's goofy and adorable design that doesn't compare to Baragon's levels of cuteness. The one thing this film has that I admire was Goliath.

Goliath's design, while pretty simple, is pretty cool. It's got a brutish look to it (despite his face being all derpy), and he and Daigoro both look like they all fit into the Ultraman universe then in the Godzilla universe.

Since Goliath is still a very obscure Kaiju that is probably even more obscure then Black Moth, Maguma and the Giant Condor, I feel that he should earn some love.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've seen most of the film on youtube, and it's a film you'll find amusing or bad. Goliath's design is allright, but isn't that appealing. The monster's potrayal, however, was good. Goliath was a brutish and arrogant kaiju, just perfect for the film.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

edgaguirus wrote:I've seen most of the film on youtube, and it's a film you'll find amusing or bad. Goliath's design is allright, but isn't that appealing. The monster's potrayal, however, was good. Goliath was a brutish and arrogant kaiju, just perfect for the film.
I saw the film and it was... Weird. But for some reason, I can't help but like Goliath every time I look at him.

Added in 11 hours 48 minutes 18 seconds:
What I noticed in the film that I don't think allot of people remembered is the moment of the scene when Goliath show up, his horn lit up and changed the weather from a blizzard to a sunny day. Don't believe me? Get a load of this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBN6nzGtXio (Skip to 46:45)

Added in 36 minutes 20 seconds:
It's a shame nobody is talking in this thread, because I think there are allot of things to discuss about Goliath.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Goliath was lamer than Gabara. And is just a lamer Gabara. Kids movie excuses aside he's not memorable and isn't threatening. IIRC there's a scene where a guy is riding Goliaths horn. It's not scary at all.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Goliath was lamer than Gabara. And is just a lamer Gabara. Kids movie excuses aside he's not memorable and isn't threatening. IIRC there's a scene where a guy is riding Goliaths horn. It's not scary at all.
Well not all Kaijus have to be scary. Like I used to be afraid of Hedorah, but nowadays, I don't find him as creepy as the Blob.

But aside from that, I'm just someone who likes unmemorable, obscured and forgotten Kaijus.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

soulgodzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Goliath was lamer than Gabara. And is just a lamer Gabara. Kids movie excuses aside he's not memorable and isn't threatening. IIRC there's a scene where a guy is riding Goliaths horn. It's not scary at all.
Well not all Kaijus have to be scary. Like I used to be afraid of Hedorah, but nowadays, I don't find him as creepy as the Blob.

But aside from that, I'm just someone who likes unmemorable, obscured and forgotten Kaijus.
Hedorah is still scary thematically, and yes still scary.

Gorosaurus, Manda, baragon etc, are all short lived kaiju but are way cooler and more memorable. Goliath is nothing, he's a generic brute bully kaiju. Even Gabara is a million times more memorable and more interesting. And yes, not all kaijus have to be scary, but I'm the context of the film he's meant to be an opposing and scary force but isn't.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:

Gorosaurus, Manda, baragon etc, are all short lived kaiju but are way cooler and more memorable. Goliath is nothing, he's a generic brute bully kaiju. Even Gabara is a million times more memorable and more interesting. And yes, not all kaijus have to be scary, but I'm the context of the film he's meant to be an opposing and scary force but isn't.
Gorosaurus, Manda, Baragon and Gabara I can agree with you. I can totally agree that they're more recognized then Goliath. Yet there's just this feeling about Goliath that makes me like him almost as much as Gorosaurus, Manda and Baragon.

Maybe it's because I started to like him a little more when I got my hands on both of these rare figures at G-Fest. The more I look at the figure, the more and more I start liking Goliath. Image
What the figures look like, can't remember what company made it.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

soulgodzilla wrote:I did watch Daigoro Vs. Goliath and boy was it a trip of goofiness that I won't forget. But aside from the film's bizarre characters, Daigoro's goofy and adorable design that doesn't compare to Baragon's levels of cuteness. The one thing this film has that I admire was Goliath.

Goliath's design, while pretty simple, is pretty cool. It's got a brutish look to it (despite his face being all derpy), and he and Daigoro both look like they all fit into the Ultraman universe then in the Godzilla universe.

Since Goliath is still a very obscure Kaiju that is probably even more obscure then Black Moth, Maguma and the Giant Condor, I feel that he should earn some love.
The fact Daigoro vs. Goliath was done by the company that made Ultraman while being distributed by Toho and the fact Ultraman is actually mentioned in a piece of dialogue in the movie leads me to believe the movie does in fact actually take place in the Ultraman series.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

I can see that, Daigoro and Goliath being in the Ultraman universe more so then the Godzilla universe. Due to their designs being simple. (Aside from Goliath who's design seems to be more detailed then Daigoro.)
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

soulgodzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote: Well not all Kaijus have to be scary. Like I used to be afraid of Hedorah, but nowadays, I don't find him as creepy as the Blob.

Gorosaurus, Manda, Baragon and Gabara I can agree with you. I can totally agree that they're more recognized then Goliath. Yet there's just this feeling about Goliath that makes me like him almost as much as Gorosaurus, Manda and Baragon.

Maybe it's because I started to like him a little more when I got my hands on both of these rare figures at G-Fest. The more I look at the figure, the more and more I start liking Goliath. Image
Okay, well to be fair those figures look awesome and I don't blame you for liking Goliath then.

I have a small blue gorosaurus figure which I feel the same way about.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Hedorah is still scary thematically, and yes still scary.

Okay, well to be fair those figures look awesome and I don't blame you for liking Goliath then.

I have a small blue gorosaurus figure which I feel the same way about.
You don't need to blame me on anything. We have our opinions, I like forgotten Kaijus like Goliath, Black Moth, Balkzardan, etc. You like whatever Kaijus you like, we can tolerate as long as we respect each other.

So I'm assuming you grown attached to Gorosaurus because of that tiny blue Gorosaurus. If so, that's cool!
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Well the fact Daigoro and Goliath keep popping up in the Ultraman Puppet Shows at UltraLand...
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Well the fact Daigoro and Goliath keep popping up in the Ultraman Puppet Shows at UltraLand...
Huh... never knew they were in the Ultraman Puppet Shows.

But they really need to appear in a Ultraman show at some point.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

soulgodzilla wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Well the fact Daigoro and Goliath keep popping up in the Ultraman Puppet Shows at UltraLand...

Oh yeah, for a while, a bunch of puppets were decorating UltraLand. Goliath was hanging out with a few other Ultra Kaijus. And it was before Bem-P was introduced.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

soulgodzilla
Futurian

Post by soulgodzilla »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:

Oh yeah, for a while, a bunch of puppets were decorating UltraLand. Goliath was hanging out with a few other Ultra Kaijus. And it was before Bem-P was introduced.
Interesting. Wonder if anyone will recognize him.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Good design ruined by a terrible, baggy suit.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

STUMPY LONG ARMED ALIEN RHINO LIZARD OF DOOOOOOOOM.

Just caught Daigoro vs. Goliath recently (on a YouTube video no less!) and i kinda grew to love this guy. There's not a lot of kaiju who are primarily blue and his rhino esc. design is nice. Too bad his suit could do it justice tho.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I realize this is from 4 years ago, and while I mostly agree, Goliath's entrance before popping out of the ocean was really well done. The movie up to that point was very wacky and uplifting, with Daigoro going on his usual antics while the people tried to help him out.

But suddenly, the usually placid Daigoro is standing by the shores of his island, snarling and roaring out at something churning beneath the raging seas. Lightning flashes and the weather becomes more and more unstable, while the locals of the island try to calm him down. No music - just the howling of wind. A very memorable sequence.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GigaBowserG wrote:
I realize this is from 4 years ago, and while I mostly agree, Goliath's entrance before popping out of the ocean was really well done. The movie up to that point was very wacky and uplifting, with Daigoro going on his usual antics while the people tried to help him out.

But suddenly, the usually placid Daigoro is standing by the shores of his island, snarling and roaring out at something churning beneath the raging seas. Lightning flashes and the weather becomes more and more unstable, while the locals of the island try to calm him down. No music - just the howling of wind. A very memorable sequence.
Pretty much anything I read from over two years ago that I posted I usually disagree with and cringe -_-
Obviously Daigoro isn't intended to be nightmare fuel.

I'm watching the scene in question with Goliath coming out of the water. It's pretty good. The initial waterspout, the waves and the light, the wind and the menacing music that plays. For such a low budget it's fine, same goes for Goliath.