Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Ryguy
EDF Instructor

Re: Rodan, Mothra, & King Ghidorah Designs (2018-)

Post by Ryguy »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Oh wow most of the Ghidorah fan designs here are hideous (excluding Frank's). They either have horrible wings or fucked up faces. Sometimes it's both. :lol: Something like Frank's design incorporating some elements of the Showa design would be sick.
Like his design or not, but calling Quach's drawing "hideous" is overstating your resent just a hair, is it not?

I find it glorious, personally: with a couple bodily tweaks (remove the hair, fangs, and one of the tails), that is my ideal Legendary Ghidorah. And furthermore, though I may not personally love the hair and fangs, I do agree that it is, for all intents and purposes, probably one of the best updates of the original suits that some of you guys cherish so dearly. It manages to become a more streamlined and graceful structure while retaining key traditional traits.

P.S. Isolated hairs would be more of a slight irritant to me, but manes would flat-out make me so tense that I could shove a lump of coal up my ass and in two weeks I would have a diamond. I have always found Showa Ghidorah's manes laughable: they just look stupid (Manda, however, looks fine with or without a thick mane, largely attributed to him literally being an East-Asian dragon morphologically)
"And now you will walk to him, and you will battle him to the death. Green and Brown. Fight night. The greatest gladiator match in the history of the world: reptile versus primate; day versus night; King of Monsters versus Kong of Skull Island!"

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

your source of self destruction

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Personally I've always loved the design in Ryguy's avatar.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Tyrant28 wrote:Image
I really like this design. One the few designs that is very alien looking but still actually looks like King Ghidorah. Plus love how the artist incorporated the trunk like legs but didn't just make them literally Godzilla's legs but golden/yellow like a few other design I've seen.

Their Rodan also looks pretty good too imo.
These are perfect imo. Ghidorah actually looks like an alien life-form and Rodan is modernized but still very recognizable, infact I get some Heisei vibes from him. I also like Matt Frank's Ghidorah heads that have multiple eyes.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

I'm just really worried at least one of the designs will look entirely too bland. Hollywood has a bad habit of doing that to their kaiju.

Added in 2 minutes 19 seconds:
Breakdown wrote:
I really like this design. One the few designs that is very alien looking but still actually looks like King Ghidorah. Plus love how the artist incorporated the trunk like legs but didn't just make them literally Godzilla's legs but golden/yellow like a few other design I've seen.

These are perfect imo. Ghidorah actually looks like an alien life-form and Rodan is modernized but still very recognizable, infact I get some Heisei vibes from him. I also like Matt Frank's Ghidorah heads that have multiple eyes.
The Rodan is cool but I'd like to see more originality than what's in the Ghidorah in this design. It borrows way too may elements from Cloverfield's kaiju. :? However, change the torso to something more original, I'd definitely like it.

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

master_of_monsters wrote:Image
Legendary, if you're seeing this, you have your ghidorah, or at least the basis for it.

Someone call Tull.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Too Rathalos-y. I like the wings, though.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

I do like the perma-grin in the picture

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

That doesn't look recognizably like Rodan to me. It looks like a generic pterosaur-inspired monster.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

First off beautiful art.

But as a design...I don't like it I find it looks too much like a generic super dragon or Yughoi O for some reason.
Godzilla

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

g2vd wrote:
First off beautiful art.

But as a design...I don't like it I find it looks too much like a generic super dragon or Yughoi O for some reason.
technically that's sort of what ghidorah is

Gahdzilluh
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gahdzilluh »

i dont wanna see 3 winged monsters in one movie thats bs wheres anguirus

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gahdzilluh wrote:i dont wanna see 3 winged monsters in one movie thats bs wheres anguirus
I know right? I like these monsters but let some others have the spotlight
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Gahdzilluh wrote:i dont wanna see 3 winged monsters in one movie thats bs wheres anguirus
But this isn't a Toho movie. We've never seen any of these guys in CGI, with Hollywood effects.

Makes it fresh enough for me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
But this isn't a Toho movie. We've never seen any of these guys in CGI, with Hollywood effects.

Eh you've got a point. Think their going to somehow use motion capture for Ghidorah?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gahdzilluh
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gahdzilluh »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: I know right? I like these monsters but let some others have the spotlight

Eh you've got a point. Think their going to somehow use motion capture for Ghidorah?
i say no way on the mocap lol.. idk i think they should be able to tell the movie is saturated with wings

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

I really excited to especially see their design for Ghidorah. Godzilla looks incredible, dark and creepy in certain shots so if they go with that feel for Ghidorah I think that will be great and his size will especially be daunting on an already massive Godzilla. With Mothra I think they will make her a little "darker" as well but I hope they have her sort of pop more design/color wise and retain a good mystical type of feel to her. Rodan I think should be fine as well and probably more realistic looking then ever.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I want Ghidorah to be beautiful yet horrifying, and bloody huge. Even though G14 was a more "natural" looking film (which I greatly enjoyed), I want both Ghidorah and Mothra to pop. Godzilla and Rodan can be the more drab and "Earthy", looking kaiju.

#BotM

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I have a bad feeling that they'll make the monsters extremely generic. Rodan, Ghidorah, and Mothra aren't super creative or anything, but they do have some unique qualities that make them stand out.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I like this design. Only thing I'd change would be to make the necks and tail longer, the legs thicker and sturdier, and the waist thicker.