Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
OneMillionTomsBC
GPN Volunteer

Re: Godzilla Unpopular Opinions

Post by OneMillionTomsBC »

Beef Bigshot wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Oops, damn auto correct lol

I think another unpopular opinion I have is the fact that I hate Godzilla vs biollante
Still not sure what movie title auto corrected to "Today." Was it Rodan?
Ya it's supposed to rodan but my glorious auto correct seems to think I want to talk about the news program
:lol: I actually Googled to see if there was a monster movie I haven't seen called "Today".
Last edited by OneMillionTomsBC on Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

OneMillionTomsBC wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Oops, damn auto correct lol

I think another unpopular opinion I have is the fact that I hate Godzilla vs biollante
Still not sure what movie title auto corrected to "Today." Was it Rodan?
:lol: I actually Googled to see if there was a monster movie I haven't seen called "Today".
I did the same thing. :D

Also, while it's not my favorite kaiju flick, Rodan is pretty damned great. The human leads are very engaging, the tone is both unnerving and tragic, the score is lovely, and it has some of Tsuburaya's best effects work.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Speaking of Rodan, is it unpopular to completely dislike the later Showa designs (read: 65/68)? I feel like 56 was the quintessential Rodan look and it's been downhill ever since.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of Rodan, is it unpopular to completely dislike the later Showa designs (read: 65/68)? I feel like 56 was the quintessential Rodan look and it's been downhill ever since.
Lots of people dislike the late showa design, 56 one looks great while the 60s looks quite bad.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Mechagigan wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Wait, you pirated every single Godzilla film, even though all but two are currently easy to find on DVD and Bluray for under $20 each? Or did I read that wrong?
Well, that's where the "owning some" comes in. They're mostly pretty cheap, so I do have a good handful - obviously not all of them, but you get the idea.

But even then, I bought most of those either from eBay or from flea markets... not quite paying the company, either way :/

Just for clarity - I don't exactly promote doing this, but I guess it's a confession.
If you're buying an official copy of the film on eBay, you're still supporting a licensed release that was almost certainly at SOME point paid for legally. The company still got it's profit from the printing of the individual copy of the film. Nothing to worry about.
Speaking of Rodan, is it unpopular to completely dislike the later Showa designs (read: 65/68)? I feel like 56 was the quintessential Rodan look and it's been downhill ever since.
It's sort of on the line right now? The 1964+ designs are mostly unpopular, but have risen a little in the last few years from my perspective, mostly from people recognizing the goofiness was intentional and not just bad costuming.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

UltramanGoji wrote:Speaking of Rodan, is it unpopular to completely dislike the later Showa designs (read: 65/68)? I feel like 56 was the quintessential Rodan look and it's been downhill ever since.
The bent beak he gets later makes him look super doofy, and I kind of hate his distracting arms in GFW, but the others I'm okay with.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The '60s suits have grown on me a lot in the last few years. '56 is still hands-down the best, but I've come to like its successors. '93 had kind of the base for a good design but it fell apart in execution. '04 is too man-in-a-suit-ish, too brightly colored, and the the samurai armor scales look ridiculous.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

I like the 64 Rodan suit. That's about it. 56 was honestly the best Rodan suit in my opinion.

Anyways, one unpopular opinion I have is Godzilla Raids Again is a personal favorite of mine. Not the best, but I enjoyed it!
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I believe King Ghidorah and Mothra are too overated, alot of people say that. I like them but let someone else have a turn for spotlight.

I also really dont like Mothras fairies thier singing and voices just AHHHH, well thats my opinion
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

ZeppandonConfirmed
Monsterland Worker

Post by ZeppandonConfirmed »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I believe King Ghidorah and Mothra are too overated, alot of people say that. I like them but let someone else have a turn for spotlight.

I also really dont like Mothras fairies thier singing and voices just AHHHH, well thats my opinion
Couldn't agree more.

The five Kaiju that need a little break from films are King Ghidorah, Mothra, MechaGodzilla, Rodan, and Anguirus because they have been in like 5 or more Godzilla movies.

And the Mothra fairies songs are just bleh in my opinion.
Look in my eyes, what do you see?
The Cult of Personality

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

Forgot if I posted on this topic, but, here are some unpopular Opinions that I have: I like Godzilla Raids Again to a certain extent; Although I like the Japanese version more, I like the English Scenes in Godzilla 1985. I like the design in King Kong vs Godzilla; I think Mothra vs Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, and GMK are a tiny bit overrated; I think that Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla: Final Wars are underrated; I like the Heisei Series the most; I hate the Mellium series
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mastergodzilla wrote:I think that Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla: Final Wars are underrated;
Which Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla are you referring to? If it's the '74, that seems odd, as it's one of the most widely beloved movies in the franchise.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

I personally found Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) underwhelming and a bit boring. It's that kind of monster movie where you just skip to the monster scenes.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

IMHO, it's anything but boring...

HedorahGrabber
GPN Volunteer

Post by HedorahGrabber »

I can see why people love, I actually found Terror of Mechagodzilla the better film, including the fight scenes.
Sir, you're interfering with my deep lore discussion.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

- I've said this many times before, but Destroy All Monsters remains the hardest Godzilla film for me to watch, and is the one movie in the franchise that I enjoy the least.

- I thought the Kiryu saga was a waste of time.

- I don't think King Ghidorah or Mothra are as great as fans chalk them up to be.

- Frankenstein Conquers the World is many times greater than The War of the Gargantuas.

- Varan isn't a monster that I would care to see again in any medium. Same with Manda.

- Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is only barely better than Godzilla vs. Mothra. It's still near the bottom of my list. (Not sure if this is unpopular, but I've seen quite a few people defend it.)

- Orga is one of the most underrated monsters in the franchise, and has more potential than people give him credit for.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahGrabber wrote:I personally found Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974) underwhelming and a bit boring. It's that kind of monster movie where you just skip to the monster scenes.
I like the movie alright, but I basically agree. I think it's a perfectly fine, middling entry in the series. I share your preference for Terror, which I'll admit is the less polished movie, but has a more distinctive tone, and more engaging and dramatic monster scenes.

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mastergodzilla »

eabaker wrote:
Mastergodzilla wrote:I think that Godzilla vs the Sea Monster, Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla, and Godzilla: Final Wars are underrated;
Which Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla are you referring to? If it's the '74, that seems odd, as it's one of the most widely beloved movies in the franchise.
1974, and I thought people didn't like it as much. Huh.

Added in 56 seconds:
Also, I forgot to include this, but I hate Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Mastergodzilla wrote:
eabaker wrote:
1974, and I thought people didn't like it as much. Huh.

Added in 56 seconds:
Also, I forgot to include this, but I hate Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla.

You hate Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla?! Im triggered im hskjjwkansl lheefdowb nsj.......
Im kidding, cause thats how a fan with no respect for others opinions would be

Added in 2 minutes 46 seconds:
ZeppandonConfirmed wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I believe King Ghidorah and Mothra are too overated, alot of people say that. I like them but let someone else have a turn for spotlight.

Couldn't agree more.

The five Kaiju that need a little break from films are King Ghidorah, Mothra, MechaGodzilla, Rodan, and Anguirus because they have been in like 5 or more Godzilla movies.

And the Mothra fairies songs are just bleh in my opinion.
Thanks for agreeing. The only way to drive me insane would to lock me onto a room with the faires song playing......
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

^ Honestly.. I can't stand mothra, or the fairies.. I know they have a huge fanbase.. I don't know. Mothra is floofy, hardly intimidating. The fairies singing drive me up a wall and they are such goodie goods.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla