Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Return of Godzilla to be released on Blu-Ray/DVD on Sept 13th

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I mean, sure, one of most things is enough for most people. It's just good to have options, since not everyone's one thing that's enough is going to be the same thing.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I have a halfway decent boot of 1985 so it's not a huge deal for me. Still sucks though. I'm more worried about Son of Godzilla and Sea Monster's English dub tracks never getting a proper release in a decent format.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I have a halfway decent boot of 1985 so it's not a huge deal for me. Still sucks though. I'm more worried about Son of Godzilla and Sea Monster's English dub tracks never getting a proper release in a decent format.
Same, but add Smog Monster in there as well. Actually, put Smog Monster at the top of my list, because I love the English language "Save the Earth" song and the line "Superman beats them all!" so much.

Then, yeah, Son of Godzilla's classic dub has a lot of nostalgia value for me.

I wasn't that into Sea Monster when I was younger, so I'm less concerned about that one - I really developed my fondness for that movie after seeing it subbed/uncut. Still, obviously, I hope to see it preserved.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

hewylewis
Samurai

Post by hewylewis »

Could anybody maybe make a custom blu ray cover for this movie?

armoredsaint58
Ronin

Post by armoredsaint58 »

Would anyone who owns an official copy be interested in a re-color and enhanced version? I made a copy for myself, to attempt to accurately portray the more bluer tint the movie originally had, and not the green toho seems to have on all their remasters. I encoded at 35mbps (pretty high, but to preserve the quality I did this and maximized all controls that controlled quality, it was a 6hr30minute render) bluray profile. Added a bit of sharpness too (enough to where you can notice it, but that it doesnt start artifacting/pixelating any edges or scenes), all done on the original untouched source that was demuxed. If anyone wants a preview/clip of it to see for themselves pm me

hewylewis
Samurai

Post by hewylewis »

armoredsaint58 wrote:Would anyone who owns an official copy be interested in a re-color and enhanced version? I made a copy for myself, to attempt to accurately portray the more bluer tint the movie originally had, and not the green toho seems to have on all their remasters. I encoded at 35mbps (pretty high, but to preserve the quality I did this and maximized all controls that controlled quality, it was a 6hr30minute render) bluray profile. Added a bit of sharpness too (enough to where you can notice it, but that it doesnt start artifacting/pixelating any edges or scenes), all done on the original untouched source that was demuxed. If anyone wants a preview/clip of it to see for themselves pm me
How would we get an enhanced copy?
Last edited by hewylewis on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:I mean, sure, one of most things is enough for most people. It's just good to have options, since not everyone's one thing that's enough is going to be the same thing.
Hey dude, like I said, I don't agree with it. If Toho included G85 but not RoG, a lot of people would probably play the same, "Well, I got my dub, I don't care about losing the other one." kind of logic anyhow.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

That looks pretty good; I didn't know that the blue coloration was actually part of the film and not a problem with the MHD transfer. I'd be quite interested in obtaining a copy of this for my Godzilla 1985 project.

Have you done anything with the black levels?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

armoredsaint58 wrote:Would anyone who owns an official copy be interested in a re-color and enhanced version? I made a copy for myself, to attempt to accurately portray the more bluer tint the movie originally had, and not the green toho seems to have on all their remasters. I encoded at 35mbps (pretty high, but to preserve the quality I did this and maximized all controls that controlled quality, it was a 6hr30minute render) bluray profile. Added a bit of sharpness too (enough to where you can notice it, but that it doesnt start artifacting/pixelating any edges or scenes), all done on the original untouched source that was demuxed. If anyone wants a preview/clip of it to see for themselves pm me
Don't need a preview, definitely interested.

armoredsaint58
Ronin

Post by armoredsaint58 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:That looks pretty good; I didn't know that the blue coloration was actually part of the film and not a problem with the MHD transfer. I'd be quite interested in obtaining a copy of this for my Godzilla 1985 project.

Have you done anything with the black levels?
Yeah black levels are a bit crushed since toho transfers seem to be too flat looking. If you're looking to use this on your project, I'd recommend that if you have the 84 bluray already, demux and use that untouched .h264 stream, then proceed with the same settings I used to edit it in premiere which I can send through PM if you are interested (if you have something else like vegas, I think paremeters might still be able to translate). I think the best way without re encoding my video again (a 2nd time there would be a noticeable loss of quality) is through that way. Maybe its just me but I always notice a quality shift when something is reencoded twice, the 1st not so much. But if you're ok with a little quality loss I guess I can upload my version for you to use.

But yeah these are bluray compliant streams, so they are mostly meant to be remuxed into the original bluray copy and burned to a 50gb disk. MULTIAVCHD should be able to do this as it does for me if anyone's wondering. I'm planning on uploading my file soon but any requests goes through pm's and Ill PM the people who asked me in here as well, all I ask is you provide proof you have a copy of the disc (kraken or the japanese toho bluray)

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The blue definitely looks a lot more appropriate than the very dull green, imo
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's not very natural, but it does kind of suit the film better.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:It's not very natural, but it does kind of suit the film better.
Well, yeah, both choices kind of suck in terms of looking natural and sharp, but the green-ish feels dull and washed out to me in a way the blue doesn't. As a non-film student, I lack the academic grounding to explain it eloquently.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I get what you're saying. The blue is kind of atmospheric. The green just looks off, though at least it's less overwhelming and closer to natural tones than the blue
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Xillian1991
Ronin

Post by Xillian1991 »

I am glad they released the return of godzilla on blu ray. Finally I can upgrade this title to blu ray. In my country they released the return of godzilla on dvd(legit toho master release) along with a lot of other showa/heisei/millenium era movies. My personal favourite godzilla movie(original japanese version). Never seen the Raymond Burr edit.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

Anyone know why they opted to use the HDTV version of the '08 scan instead of the actual BD version? There's frames missing around every reel change and the subtitles have those outline effects.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

The White English Subtitles on this release were absolutely horrid!

I mean my god they were drawn so poorly and so horribly that I sincerely believe they had a 7 year old write it.
Godzilla

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Space Hunter M wrote:Anyone know why they opted to use the HDTV version of the '08 scan instead of the actual BD version? There's frames missing around every reel change and the subtitles have those outline effects.
Didn't know about the reel change thing, but I did think the subtitles looked odd. I'd assume they just took whatever Toho gave them, and whoever at Toho gave it to them (probably not a higher-level employee or expert) didn't know the difference or just sent them whichever master they found first.

Is there any difference besides the subs and missing frames? It's the same scan, right?
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Is there any difference besides the subs and missing frames? It's the same scan, right?
Yeah, it's the same scan.

As much as I'm intrigued that a version exists with the "A" mix now, I'm also disappointed that Kraken's staff fucked up the sync on a lot of loops for the English track. Did they not have a regular copy of the export version to work with at all?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I mean, it seems like maybe not all of the dubs have been properly preserved. Echo Bridge had to use a VHS/LD (I forget which) for the Biollante dub.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon