IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IDW's GODZILLA: RAGE AGAINST TIME

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I thought Keizer Ghidorah was Desghidorah for a second. Realized how similar they are design wise. I suppose I'm glad to see that iteration of the monster back.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

What I thought was Desghidorah I was all "Yes! Toho gave IDW the rights to use RoM characters so that could mean Dagahra!" then when I looked more closely and saw that was Keizer Ghidorah I was all "Awww man...".
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I thought Keizer Ghidorah was Desghidorah for a second. Realized how similar they are design wise. I suppose I'm glad to see that iteration of the monster back.
Thought it was Desghidorah at first glance, too :P Too bad; him or Cretaceous would've been fitting for an arc taking place with the dinos.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:What I thought was Desghidorah I was all "Yes! Toho gave IDW the rights to use RoM characters so that could mean Dagahra!" then when I looked more closely and saw that was Keizer Ghidorah I was all "Awww man...".

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

I though Issue #1 was just ok, i would probably give it a 5 out of ten.The art is Franks best yet but the characters are forgettable and uninteresting.
I defiantly think these issues should be longer, the writers are so constrained with only 22 pages to work with that they are unable to really expand upon anything interesting.It would be really cool if the writers actually worked together to some extent in order to create a more cohesive then in Godzilla in hell.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheRadness »

Super bummed, Godzilla comics are taking off and the only place that carried them just went out of business.

I'm not a huge comic book guy, but getting my hand on these was fun.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:What I thought was Desghidorah I was all "Yes! Toho gave IDW the rights to use RoM characters so that could mean Dagahra!" then when I looked more closely and saw that was Keizer Ghidorah I was all "Awww man...".
That's exactly what I just did.
I'm not a fan of Keizer Ghidorah, but Death Ghidorah or Cretaceous King Ghidorah would have been a real treat. (Yes, I know IDW can't)

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I'm assuming that issue #2 doesn't come out today? That's strange....

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

Comixology has it releasing on October 5th so I assume that is when it will hit store shelves.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Come on Godzilla, king of the monsters vs. Cronus, leader of the titans. Make that happen IDW! That's missed opportunity there if you don't.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Rody wrote:
I'm not a fan of Keizer Ghidorah, but Death Ghidorah or Cretaceous King Ghidorah would have been a real treat. (Yes, I know IDW can't)
I would die if IDW got the rights to use the ROM characters

JesstrK
G-Force Personnel

Post by JesstrK »

Rody wrote:
They could've also used Showa Ghidorah, that would be closer to Cretaceous Ghidorah. Not sure why they didn't.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

I've read the whole mini-series at once recently and I am quite impressed by it. The only issue I didn't like was no.4. Wasn't that bad, just...there, filler, nothing really intriguing about it.The rest was really good, first one being probably my favourite. Godzilla vs. Greek gods in issue 2 was neat, but I see lot of wasted potential here with possibility of Big G fighting a plethora of mythological creatures. The giant battle royale in issue 5 wasn't quite necessary, but it was damn well entertaining...I mean, what's not to like about kaiju kickin' the skreeonk out of each other in cretaceous time? The archeologist subplot was kinda pointless, but at least it somewhat brought the series together, felt less like an anthology and more like regular mini-series.

Good job, IDW. Oblivion is forgotten and forgiven...

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

So I inadvertently picked up a Japanese mook (magazine-book) that contains a small interview with Matt Frank. In it, he reveals that they did indeed plan on using Toho's Orochi to battle Godzilla in issue #1, but they unfortunately couldn't use the design, so they designed their own version of Yamato no Orochi named "Spirit Orochi" (スピリッツオロチ). Pretty cool! I love trivia like this.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I always wonder what other kaiju/characters Matt and co had planned to use. I read an interview with him some time ago how picky Toho was, to no surprise. They could only use certain versions of a character and anything IDW created immediately became property of Toho.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Mr. Yellow wrote:I always wonder what other kaiju/characters Matt and co had planned to use. I read an interview with him some time ago how picky Toho was, to no surprise. They could only use certain versions of a character and anything IDW created immediately became property of Toho.
Does that mean that Toho owns the Trilopods ?
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The One and Only wrote:
Mr. Yellow wrote:I always wonder what other kaiju/characters Matt and co had planned to use. I read an interview with him some time ago how picky Toho was, to no surprise. They could only use certain versions of a character and anything IDW created immediately became property of Toho.
The Triplods are probably owned by IDW similarly to how the monsters from Godzilla: The Series are owned by Sony

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Godzillian wrote:
The One and Only wrote:
The Triplods are probably owned by IDW similarly to how the monsters from Godzilla: The Series are owned by Sony
Are you sure about the monsters belonging to Sony? What I've seen always seems to indicate that anything created in a Toho approved IP belongs to Toho. They used Zilla, so I'm sure they own Godzooky.

EDIT: in reading your comment again, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Sony doesn't truly "own" anything lol
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Mr. Yellow wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
The One and Only wrote: Does that mean that Toho owns the Trilopods ?
Are you sure about the monsters belonging to Sony? What I've seen always seems to indicate that anything created in a Toho approved IP belongs to Toho. They used Zilla, so I'm sure they own Godzooky.

EDIT: in reading your comment again, I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Sony doesn't truly "own" anything lol

At the risk of opening another can of worms, is that included the Gryphon from the unmade Jan De Bont flick ?
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

More than likely, yes. I'm sure Toho owns the rights to all considered properties.

That makes me wonder about that Nessie movie...