The Sonic The Hedgehog thread

For the discussion of video games not produced by, or related to, Toho and their films.
SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Sonic The Hedgehog thread

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:26 pm

soulgodzilla wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:How? This is a calm debate and we're both discussing this in a levelheaded manner and assessing the situation with maturity and research. At least that's how I see our conversation.

Believe me... We don't want to discuss about Sonic and Pokemon before someone mentions Sonichu. And we seriously don't wanna go there.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Sonic Chronicles? :lol:

Great idea, good plot, terrible execution. And it had Bioware onboard. The hell? Everybody does have some really good dialogue in that game though, which I guess is thanks to Bioware. At least they got decent writing.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

soulgodzilla
EDF Soldier

Postby soulgodzilla » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:34 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
soulgodzilla wrote:
SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:How? This is a calm debate and we're both discussing this in a levelheaded manner and assessing the situation with maturity and research. At least that's how I see our conversation.

Believe me... We don't want to discuss about Sonic and Pokemon before someone mentions Sonichu. And we seriously don't wanna go there.

So, what are everyone's thoughts on Sonic Chronicles? :lol:

Great idea, good plot, terrible execution. And it had Bioware onboard. The hell? Everybody does have some really good dialogue in that game though, which I guess is thanks to Bioware. At least they got decent writing.

Let me tell you. You're not the only person who think this game is terrible.

While the idea I think is good since I'm into RPG and the plot was alright, everything else about it is just terrible. From gameplay and the OST. Oh my "Skreonking" God is this the worst Sonic OST ever made. They couldn't even make a remix of Green hill zone?!

And the sound effects... It's not just bad. IT'S ATROCIOUS!
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:38 pm

A Sonic game with a bad OST is a crime against nature, even 06 had great music.
"Tonight, when the blood moon finishes rising, I will summon my brother Yuul'syqpoth into this sphere of existence, and that's absolutely fantastic."

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:46 am

I love me some Sonic, man. Even though he's face planted a few times, I still hold onto the hope that he'll get a positive reputation back. I'm seriously hoping that with three new games coming out, they'll help Sonic get out of the poop hole he's been in since Lost World.

#BotM

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:54 am

It hurts me to hear people say Sonic's downfall started with Lost World, which was by all accounts a decent game (even if it wasn't Generations good). It was Sonic Boom that sucked.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:53 am

Lost World wasn't bad by any means, it was just pretty mediocre imo. It really just came and went for me, and didn't have anything memorable, you know? I'm really hoping that Project Sonic has a story that is mature, competent, and smart, while still maintaining the humor and that Sonic optimism.

And bloody hell, allow for Eggman to actually be menacing, cunning, and intelligent. I want to feel like he actually could take control of the entire world.

#BotM

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:14 am

Godzilla165 wrote:Lost World wasn't bad by any means, it was just pretty mediocre imo. It really just came and went for me, and didn't have anything memorable, you know? I'm really hoping that Project Sonic has a story that is mature, competent, and smart, while still maintaining the humor and that Sonic optimism.

And bloody hell, allow for Eggman to actually be menacing, cunning, and intelligent. I want to feel like he actually could take control of the entire world.

The Adventure games really nailed the balance between maturity and humour/optimism, along with giving us a badass Eggman, and to a certain extent so does Unleashed. I'm really hoping Project Sonic at least tries to emulate that story-telling approach. I'm not a fan of how childish Colors and Lost World are, one of the major reasons I really don't like either game. If Sonic is going to have a story I'd prefer it act more mature.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Dillyziller » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:26 pm

I don't understand why Adventure 3 is so wanted. The adventure games really aren't what I'd call great honestly.
^This post in sexually offensive.

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:46 pm

Dillyziller wrote:I don't understand why Adventure 3 is so wanted. The adventure games really aren't what I'd call great honestly.

The Adventure games, despite their flaws and age (2 is still the superior game in my opinion out of the duology), managed to not only have gameplay that worked and was fun, give or take treasure hunting (Big speaks for himself), and competent physics with great level design but they also had good stories that could deal with mature subjects (the death of a good few Station Square citizens during Perfect Chaos' rampage along with the entire ARK story and Shadow's backstory in general) whilst still being fun and relatively well-written. Their messages were also subtle but important, they weren't practically non-existent and they weren't beaten over your head. Throw in both games' soundtracks and the Chao Garden, which was great in 2, and its easy to see why they're loved and people clamour for Adventure 3. Now I don't specifically want Adventure 3. I want Sonic to go back to that more mature, yet still accessible, form of storytelling and just have the kind of creative, semi-open levels that Adventure 1 & 2 have. Whether or not its the Boost gameplay or Adventure gameplay (I'd personally take Adventure's controls and physics with the boost being more of an ability than a core feature) at the end of the day, I don't care: I just want a fun Sonic game that can take itself seriously again, I couldn't care less what they call it as long as its good. If anything instead of asking for Adventure 3, I'd rather the fanbase demand remakes: updating the graphics, ironing out a few flaws, whilst still keeping the core gameplay intact, that sort of stuff.

Godzilla165
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzilla165 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Have any of you ever played Greenhill Paradise, act 2? Now that poop is what I'd like to see in a future, Sonic game. The controls are a little weird because it's essentially a big test, but it's such a fun and beautiful game.

#BotM

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:49 pm

I've never played it but I've seen it in action plenty of times. Pretty good, but I don't know how an actual Sonic game could incorporate such open level design with the goal mechanic: I think it'd be pretty broken. Don't get me wrong, I like the openness but I think it would kind of take away from the speeding through levels aspect of Sonic a bit too much and/or make levels inherently shorter in one way or another because all you'd have to do is find the goal in the sandbox instead of working your way through a cohesive level to get to it.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:04 pm

In Sonic Adventure we had adventure fields, which were basically open exploration, in addition to the action stages that played like traditional zones.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Postby F4ZaTE_X » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:19 pm

So Fire and Ice isn't that bad apparently.
Huh.

Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:22 pm

F4ZaTE_X wrote:So Fire and Ice isn't that bad apparently.
Huh.

My man, Johnny with the good news. Hey, if a Boom game can be at least good things are looking better for Project Sonic: no need to worry about Mania, it'll be fantastic anyway.

soulgodzilla
EDF Soldier

Postby soulgodzilla » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:06 am

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:So Fire and Ice isn't that bad apparently.
Huh.

My man, Johnny with the good news. Hey, if a Boom game can be at least good things are looking better for Project Sonic: no need to worry about Mania, it'll be fantastic anyway.

I hope that Sonic Mania and Project Sonic become good.

So Fire and Ice isnt that bad? Huh.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

“Yeah, I’m done...” - Raptorcyclone after being introduced to the Godzilla Power Hour intro.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 pm

Dillyziller wrote:I don't understand why Adventure 3 is so wanted.

Touching on this again, reasons I want Sonic Adventure 3:
More characters to play as. Recent games focus so much on Sonic that the rest of the cast is neglected.
More gameplay styles. The treasure hunting and shooter stages from the Adventure games were awesome and should be revisited again.
In line with this, having characters like Knuckles and Amy have their own storymodes and participate in the plot instead of being relegated to side characters. I mean Knuckles hasn't had a real role in the series since Sonic Riders, what happened?
Character specific upgrades that reward the player for exploring the stages and make each character's gameplay more interesting.
Bring back Chao. As a long time user on a website dedicated to the Chao Garden subgame, I personally know tons of people who loved raising Chao and desperately want them to make a comeback. Plus Chao are big part of the Adventure games' replay value, as raising them requires collecting small animals and rings from the action stages (other Sonic games don't even offer much incentive to rechallenge stages besides to get higher letter ranks, and who even likes doing that?). Seeing Chao return is pretty much my biggest reason for wanting Adventure 3 actually. I mean, if there's no Chao then it's not an Adventure game.

Other things SA3 could have: playable Eggman, bigger role for Shadow (it's been ten years since Sonic Next Gen, it won't hurt to give him some spotlight again), opportunities for bonus content like more subgames and achievement goals (Sonic Colors and Lost World seem almost barebones with how little there is do outside of the main game), SA2's multiple mission format for each stage, SA's adventure fields and/or SA2's Chao Garden Lobby (I could see an expanded version of the lobby acting as a hub world between all of the action stages, with some NPCs to interact with for flavor), SA's dogfight subgame, SA2's boss rush mode, the customizable menu themes and stuff like that.

It's not that the Adventure Duology were these untouchably superior Sonic games, but they were very rich games that offered a lot of features fans wish were retained in subsequent games. There definitely other titles in the series that are just as good or better, but SA2 is still by far the Sonic game I play the most. It would be awesome to have sequel that captures its richness.
Resized Image

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:45 pm

I'd much rather we get full on remakes of Adventure 1 and 2 before we get an Adventure 3. Take the gameplay, fine-tune it and fix as many issues as they can; take the stories, maybe add a few new bits to each one, expand on them, fix plot-holes, make Super Sonic and Super Shadow unlockables for the speed stages, fine-tune the treasure hunting, make Gamma/mechs play like a faster Armored Core, basically super-heated robo-shooters with boosting and dodge mechanics, make Amy's gameplay in A1 more tense, expand upon ZERO's Nemesis-esque role, make Big's story optional: let us unlock A1's final story without having to play Big, hell, give us Metal Sonic as the new required story! Work him into A1 as a rival for Sonic and Gamma! That's what I'd rather they do.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:02 pm

The Adventure Duology have already been ported and touched up and re-released on so many consoles that true remakes would be very unlikely. Especially since almost everyone has played SADX and SA2B as it is.

What would be nice is a fan mod of SA2 with more polished controls and new, original stages. But that game remains nigh impervious to hacking even after all these years, I don't know if we'll ever see an ambitious mod of it.
Resized Image

SomeknowmeasXeno
Terminated
Terminated

Postby SomeknowmeasXeno » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:11 pm

Ivo-goji wrote:The Adventure Duology have already been ported and touched up and re-released on so many consoles that true remakes would be very unlikely. Especially since almost everyone has played SADX and SA2B as it is.

What would be nice is a fan mod of SA2 with more polished controls and new, original stages. But that game remains nigh impervious to hacking even after all these years, I don't know if we'll ever see an ambitious mod of it.

Yeah but as fun as the original games are, especially the HD ports (Minus Adventure 1's stupid screen size output), they could be so much better if SEGA remade them with today's tech; expanded upon the story, fixed some bugs, fine-tuned the gameplay and got the new voice cast in there.

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
Though if they did I'd say make most of the characters sound just a little younger to represent the passing of time from A1 and 2 to the current games.

soulgodzilla
EDF Soldier

Postby soulgodzilla » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:48 pm

SomeknowmeasXeno wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:The Adventure Duology have already been ported and touched up and re-released on so many consoles that true remakes would be very unlikely. Especially since almost everyone has played SADX and SA2B as it is.

Yeah but as fun as the original games are, especially the HD ports (Minus Adventure 1's stupid screen size output), they could be so much better if SEGA remade them with today's tech; expanded upon the story, fixed some bugs, fine-tuned the gameplay and got the new voice cast in there.

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
Though if they did I'd say make most of the characters sound just a little younger to represent the passing of time from A1 and 2 to the current games.

I 100% agree with you of the remakes having different voice actors, as much as I used to love the Adventures games, the voice acting in these games are so lifeless. With the exception of E-102 Gamma.
Up from the depths
Thirty stories high
Breathing fire
His head in the sky
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
Godzilla!
And Godzookie....

Return to “Video Game Hub”