Diorama Advice/Help Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Post by TheRadness »

It's pieces from that set ill

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Damn you did some serious justice Radness!! Your skills with the paints is phenomenal.

Hobby Search got a couple N scale demolished buildings, these things sell fast and disappear.

TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheRadness »

If i did a tutorial on how I did it you'd shake your head haha, no skill required, just a bit of thinking.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Breakdown wrote:@ BARAGONZILLA and anyone else interested in how to make building ruins and rubble effects

There's a method called "Flocking" which you spread glue (or wood glue depending on the base you're using) and you sprinkle various grits of sand and other materiel to give the illusion of rubble or stone. I do this with my Warhammer 40k terrain. An effective way to make rubble is to get a plastic cup and fill it with fine, medium, and heavy grit sand. Then add plaster chips, crushed eggshells and cut up metal screens. Then, add glue to the base of your diorama and carefully sprinkle the mixture onto the glue.

Alternatively there's "Rubble Paste" in which you use the cup of materiel I listed above, but this time you add PVC glue and black paint. Add a proportional amount of paint and glue to get a good thickness without clogging up detail. After you're done, use a brush or popsicle stick to spread the paste where you want piles of rubble.

To make ruined buildings, use relatively thin sheets of cork and cut out the shapes of the buildings you want as well as any damaged areas you want. Once you're done that, use the edge of an X-acto knife and scrape the edges of the damaged sections of your buildings to make them looked crumbled. Afterwards you can also add metal wire or toothpicks to simulate steel girders or concrete rebar.

If done right, you should come out with results like this, these being terrain pieces for tabletop Warhammer 40k. Note that you might have to scale down your buildings due to Kaiju being massive.

Just in case anyone is still interested in how to make ruined buildings or rubble for your Kaiju dioramas.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Akunin
Samurai

Post by Akunin »

We really need more 1:500 and 1:700 scale items out there, without having the Shapeway prices
Last edited by Akunin on Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

ILL GREEN wrote:Damn you did some serious justice Radness!! Your skills with the paints is phenomenal.

Hobby Search got a couple N scale demolished buildings, these things sell fast and disappear.

I think I have seen the second one before.
Where did you find them?
This is the beginning of the end.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Got them from Hobby Search, they carry tons of N and Z scale buildings. Don't worry if some are sold out, they will restock eventually.

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

I'm trying to find an image of the side of a building I can print off and put on Styrofoam. It needs to be in scale with Sh Monsterarts figures and with monsters that are supposed to be about 150 meters. Can anyone help me please?
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Well SHMA figures are around 1:500 to 1:600 scale. Google has plenty of pics, I suggest to embed those pics to a pdf file so quality doesn't diminish from downsizing. PDF will keep the image as is for any size.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

So if I wanted to paint the Tamashii act buildings how would go about doing that??? Any suggestiins ?

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I would just paint the little windows with a high gloss black. Gives the illusion of windows during a black out.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wanna know something cool? Ive been building a city from scratch! Im pretty proud of it, im not done yet. Materials ive been using:

-paper
-construction paper
-backs of notebooks
-pens and pencils for giving the buildings detail
-scotch tape
-other stuff
I will post some pics soon
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

All in favor of renaming to the "Diorama Advice/Help Thread"? or something similar? To open up the floor to more diorama possibilities other then just buildings?

Anyhow - I thought I posted this before. Awesome video on how to make small diorama's for completed Gunpla. The same process can be applied to anything really. NECA uses Styrofoam blocks cut to the right size with printed decals. Then they are then painted/cut/damaged appropriately.

Skip to 9:55

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

[quote="SpaceG92"]All in favor of renaming to the "Diorama Advice/Help Thread"? or something similar? To open up the floor to more diorama possibilities other then just buildings?

Im in favor. Since im going to post pics on a city im building soon.

Edit: I messed up the formatting, i just didnt want to quote the video again incase i might get a warning, especially from quoting an mod. :shrug:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

SpaceG92 wrote:Anyhow - I thought I posted this before. Awesome video on how to make small diorama's for completed Gunpla. The same process can be applied to anything really. NECA uses Styrofoam blocks cut to the right size with printed decals. Then they are then painted/cut/damaged appropriately.
I think my model-building IQ just doubled, from watching that video. I also think the IQ of the kid in the video probably dropped by half, for having to wear that superhero outfit. Thanks for posting it!
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

SpaceG92 wrote:All in favor of renaming to the "Diorama Advice/Help Thread"? or something similar? To open up the floor to more diorama possibilities other then just buildings?
*raises hand* I second this motion.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I third the motion.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Re: Diorama Advice/Help Thread

Post by Plexton »

Rename complete! :D

Sorry I haven't posted in such a long time. You guys have some great suggestions that I'll have to look into in more detail.

I know that some people were interested in how the Premium Bandai diorama set scales with the Monsterarts figures, so I used it in my Shin Godzilla review. You can see a scale shot below:

Because the set makes use of a forced perspective, you can conceivably place larger-scale buildings in front of the smaller scale ones to create the illusion of depth. I might try that at some point.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Plexton wrote:Premium Bandai diorama set
IDR this ever being a thing. I wanted it to be one. When was this released? Where can I buy it?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Kaijunator wrote:
Plexton wrote:Premium Bandai diorama set
IDR this ever being a thing. I wanted it to be one. When was this released? Where can I buy it?
Good luck finding it. Would only be available on the Japanese secondary market.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.