Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Talkback Thread #8: Son of Godzilla (1967)

Post by Mechagigan »

Wow; it's crazy that one of the most generally disliked Godzilla films is seen as a classic to a good percentage of fans. (That's not a bad thing, though; I'm just making an offhand comment.)

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I meant generally disliked outside of the fanbase... yeah, I should've worded that better. :P

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mechagigan wrote:I meant generally disliked outside of the fanbase... yeah, I should've worded that better. :P
Nearly every nonfan of Godzilla I talk mentions this as being a fav. Lots of older people said they liked the one with the "baby godzilla that could only breath smoke"

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

Mechagigan wrote:Wow; it's crazy that one of the most generally disliked Godzilla films is seen as a classic to a good percentage of fans. (That's not a bad thing, though; I'm just making an offhand comment.)
I've never quite understood the love for it TBH. Granted, it's better than its reputation amongst younger fans implies.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ IDK, I found it pretty entertaining.

My only question is, why in the hell does Godzilla leave Minya after the Kamauras fight?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Because he was without compassion AT THAT point, but somehow grow fond of Minya as the movie went on? That seems to be.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I always assumed Godzilla expected Minya to follow him but Minya was too slow to keep up. It didn't take long for Godzilla to come back and offer Minya a ride on his tail.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Giga Kaiju wrote:Because he was without compassion AT THAT point, but somehow grow fond of Minya as the movie went on? That seems to be.
Well he starts to drag Minya off, but gets stopped when a Kamacuras flies into him.
It seems like he forgot about Minya for a second, then was like, "oh yeah, where'd that mutant baby mole-rat go?"
Last edited by Lain Of The Wired on Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla does become more father like as things progress. Godzilla appeared to abandon Minya at first, and then ends up huddling next to him as they are covered by snow.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I find it pretty hard to believe that "nearly every nonfan" someone would talk to, would cite this as a favorite. In 25 years, I've never experienced this. My experience with casual viewers bringing this one up has always been accompanied by laughs and mockery, and not any kind of genuine appreciation for the movie itself. Positive nostalgia for this one (from nonfans) isn't something I'd imagine is all that common.
Last edited by Goji on Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think this film was one of the more frequently shown in the past. At least, I remember seeing it shown fairly often on certain channels. More people would be familiar with it if that's the case.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Goji wrote:My experience with casual viewers bringing this one up has always been accompanied by laughs and mockery, and not any kind of genuine appreciation for the movie itself. Positive nostalgia for this one (from nonfans) isn't something I'd imagine is all that common.
Exactly. This is a classic to non-fans in the same way Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster are.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

It is often liked by non-fans because of nostalgia and its sort-of comedic elements with Minya's sheananigans.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

My headcanon is that the Godzilla at the beginning of the movie is a female.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Outside of Minya, I actually don't mind the premise of this movie. A bunch of scientists on an island, conducting nuclear tests, which result in giant mutated insects that Godzilla fights. Now, of course Minya is the reason for Godzilla showing up in the first place, but the idea of Godzilla on an island fighting a bunch of giant bugs works for me. It definitely ain't Mothra vs. Godzilla, but I kind of enjoy this movie just for that. Also, does anyone else think that the noise Minya always makes to Godzilla sounds like he's calling him "big worm"?

Obscurity68
Ronin

Post by Obscurity68 »

I've always had a soft spot for this movie, to me all the hate it got was (sometimes) unfair. Although, as mentioned previously, a good chunk of the fanbase seems to like it. I guess much of my love for this movie comes from pure nostalgia, as this was one of my most frequently watched Godzilla films when I was a kid (up there with Godzilla vs. Hedorah), however I still find it to be highly entertaining. I also never found Minilla that ugly, in fact, none of my family did. He has always been one of my favorites (I'm not quite sure if he'd make it in my top ten, though), but I can agree with the criticism people give him. I tend to think that the reason Minilla looks the way he does is because he was born premature, but at the same time I doubt the creators were thinking that deeply into it. Then again, if you compare him to other Godzilla suits from the same era, like '68, I can see some of Godzilla's traits in Minilla, mostly the snout. Oh, and of course theres the theory that Minilla isn't even of the same species as Godzilla. Too bad my DVD of this movie cracked a few years ago, and I haven't replaced it yet. Also, referring to the post above me, I always thought he was saying "dada", it just sounds more like "bwah-bwah".

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I adore the shit out of this movie! Not only is it one of my earliest but its also my 2nd favorite of the whole franchise! I am not afraid to admit that ending makes me tear up almost every time. The score is great, the execution of the giant bug kaiju is first rate, and the cast is well done and likeable. Not to mention Yoshio Tsuchiya gives one of the single best performances of his career in the genre (next to Shindo of course).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I never saw this movie as a kid. I have no nostalgia for it. Yet I love it - Kumonga is very impressive and works well as a villain, and there are some nice heartwarming moments between Godzilla and Minilla.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

I just don't the like the gorky neck of the suit, though I love the dorsal fins. Other than that, its a story I wished never ended, should've been 3 hours to see what happens to Godzilla and Minilla after the snow scene. But thats just me.

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

Son of Godzilla (Japanese version) held up in my latest viewing last night, especially when taken into chronological context. It had been a very memorable film as a kid for me, and my mother, who still references it. (For 60 years old+ all casual fans I know- they remember Showa Godzilla, "Baby Godzilla", Mothra + Shobijin, and sometimes Ghidorah, in that order.) Minilla really stole the movie.

It was 100% a better Godzilla movie than the previous one, also on an island. The music fit, the story was simpler, and the monster action was awesome. Godzilla vs The Sea Monster borrowed heavily from James Bond tropes and half the movie had no Godzilla in it. Son of Godzilla is a fun monster movie which makes me smile. It could easily be watched at any time and doesn't require deep thinking like the black and white movies or trying to follow weird alien plots.

Kumonga's realistic look was really head and shoulders above most of, if not all of, the other Toho monsters seen to this point.

The human parts were not that bad, and I started to tear up when it began to snow, as the invention worked. The Tarzan girl was cool and I felt happy and sad that she will finally go to her late father's home (Tokyo).

I admit freely that I cried at the end with Godzilla and Minilla in the snow, holding each other.

Yes, Godzilla and Minilla's costumes are awful and the concept is goofy, ridiculous, and seen as offensive by later generations of G fans. However, the film actually flows well and we get an inside peek into the world of monsters on an island and the psychology of Godzilla and "Baby Godzilla". We see how dangerous it would be to have a "Monster Island" with overgrown insect monsters.

For those of you who don't want Minilla to be Godzilla's biological son or even the same species, the Japanese version shows that they have a brain wave connection, and Minilla has lighter versions of Godzilla's atomic breath, back fins, and voice. Godzilla also doesn't slay the poor creature. He was a tough dad because...well, he's Godzilla, not because he was forced to adopt the ugly duckling. Of course, with the "official" statements all over the internet that Minilla is his adopted son, the story works either way, especially since Godzilla had been a good guy in the last few movies. However, it is not offensive to me that they could be related or the same species, as I am a fan of Minilla and the movie. I really don't want to waste energy defending it either way.

Anyway, yes, this is the Disney version of Godzilla, but with poor costumes, yet it still works. The campy tone started quite a few movies before this. Son of Godzilla never takes itself seriously, and contrary to popular notion on the interwebz, is not a complete farce or satire like King Kong vs Godzilla was. It pretty much flows and could be seen like a cartoon- no more and no less. A nice fun movie which stands out to me.