Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Post by Dannybeane »

People who don't like this film are probably awful to be around.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I was reading about on OriginalTrilogy, and someone (SpacehunterM) mentions that the Sony DVD of Gigan "is also a complete synchronization disaster." I personally never noticed any errors, so I'm curious, what does he mean by that? Can someone explain?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Goji wrote:The scenes lifted from Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster are what take me out of the movie the most, but I still adore this film, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. To me, anyway. I should probably note that as a kid, those scenes didn't bother me, even though I could tell they were from GTTHM, so like ebaker pointed out, it works for it's intended age group. It's probably Nakano's 'grossest' use of stock footage in any of the Godzilla films he worked on, but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the overall experience.

Nakano would agree with you. In an interview with Steve Ryfle in the Japan's Favorite Monstar book, Nakano talks about how much he hated being forced to use stock footage and that he would try his best to make them 'new' scenes by flipping the footage, changing the tint to match it to night time as much as possible, ect... but he admitted theres only so much you can do.

Nakano was one of the humblest SPX directors Toho ever had. My only criticism of him was why he used Sinking of Japan stock footage explosions in Return of Godzilla when he had a huge budget for that movie (the chain reaction explosion of the cars is the scene mentioned in this case).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

That stock footage was from Prophecies of Nostradamus, not Sinking of Japan, but I'll assume that was just a brain fart on your part. :)

I'm guessing that since that film had already been on a self imposed ban for the past 4 years, and was such a great sequence (and he didn't want it to be lost to the ages), that he choose to reuse it, but that's just speculation on my part. And here we are, 40 years later, and Toho still hasn't loosened up on the issue..but that's a discussion for another topic.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It's a pity Toho was cutting the budgets for the G films, but they did a good job with they had. G vs Gigan is one of the more entertaining of the later Showa films.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:G vs Gigan is one of the more entertaining of the later Showa films things in the history of the known Universe.
Just had to make a slight adjustment there.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I fully agree with you.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Lord Krit
Samurai

Post by Lord Krit »

Godzilla vs. Gigan is one of my favorites Showa films, along GvM and Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Rewatched this with a friend not too long ago, we both forgot somethings.

-I forgot how many Maser Cannons there was in this flick, King Ghidrah destroys like 10 or 11 of the things.

-He forgot how dark this film was. Keep in mind we had rewatched Godzilla vs Megalon before this so he forgot that it wasn't campy like Megalon and more oppressive.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

If only Toho had given this film the budget it deserved. If they had a real budget like the early 60s films this would've been even more fantastic

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzillian wrote:If only Toho had given this film the budget it deserved. If they had a real budget like the early 60s films this would've been even more fantastic
The fact we can see the potential of the film despite everything holding it back speaks volumes about the crew working on it and their talent.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I don't know what you guys are talking about with this unrealized potential business. The movie is goddamn fantastic and special and wonderful just the way it is, like a warm shower on frosty day.

And, yes, it is a movie I first saw when I was about five years old, and I can't really divorce it from that context...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Have I mentioned how much I love this movie's atmosphere? Unlike most of the alien invasion movies in the Godzilla franchise, this and TOMG actually feel like the world is at stake if Godzilla fails to repel the invasion.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

In a way, the bleakness of the tone, the sense of paranoia and oppression, and the way that the invaders' plot specifically centers around marketing to children all give it a sensibility similar to Halloween III.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Personally, this is my favorite of the '70's godzilla movies to watch. It may not have the most intricate plot and it may use stock footage, but it is the quintessential 70's movie in my eyes. Godzilla being the (super)hero, multiple kaiju participating in brawls, and the enemy monster being used by the aliens. The human cast is somewhat memorable and gigans design is awesome.
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Not to mention that the main cast aren't scientist or soldiers. They're ordinary people, and these ordinary people succeed against an advanced foe.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

And they win the day with the power of manga artwork! (Okay, and some explosives.)

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I wish this has the budget of earlier films. It's so good that with a larger budget it would be even better

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

I've officially given up listening to the naysayers, "consensus", and reading listed rankings of Godzilla movies. Son of Godzilla, All Monsters Attack, Godzilla Raids Again, and now Godzilla vs Gigan were supposed to be some of the most unwatchable bad G-movies of all time. Rewatching G-movies in order with new eyes (Japanese originals only), the funny/cheesy Showa films are still fantastic as they were in my previous viewings.

Granted, the SFX/toys/costumes were bad, there was too much swimming, and the plot was wacky, but I actually liked the geeky humans in this (especially the ladies and heavyset guy, and being a comic book artist is cool). The villains acted poorly but they WERE cockroaches- what should we expect? The stock footage did not bother me at all. I think the production was marvelous considering the shoestring budget. My main confusion was Godzilla and Anguirus speaking to each other like a tape recorder gone bad.

I felt bad for Anguirus getting beat up, and Godzilla really got hurt, the rampage scenes were awesome, and the songs were cool.

Pretty cool movie, although ridiculous and cheap looking. It is in middle of the pack in the first 12 Godzilla movies for me, not at the bottom like others.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, this one has always held a pretty solid ranking for me. Not top 10, but well above the bottom of the barrel. It's so much goofy fun, and so self-consciously and unabashedly comic-bookish in its tone and style (a fact is absolutely acknowledges through its choice of main character), I feel like you have to be kind of a joyless person not to appreciate it to some degree.