Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Re: Talkback Thread #12: Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)

Postby edgaguirus » Tue May 10, 2016 8:39 pm

Gigan has a great design. It's unusual looking in some respects, but Gigan is a memorable foe.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Thu May 12, 2016 7:57 pm

LegendZilla wrote:Which movies was each soundtrack in the film derived from? Can anyone give me a rundown?

Not many I don't think. A lot of the music comes from concerts and fairs and such. If you're not overly familiar with Ifukube's non kaiju work it impossible to know the score wasn't made for the film. I didn't know that until TK.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Thu May 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Which movies was each soundtrack in the film derived from? Can anyone give me a rundown?

Not many I don't think. A lot of the music comes from concerts and fairs and such. If you're not overly familiar with Ifukube's non kaiju work it impossible to know the score wasn't made for the film. I didn't know that until TK.

I know some of it is derived from Expo '70.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Space Hunter M
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Space Hunter M » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:18 pm

TK's only diehard RMA King Arthur series historian
"All you did was download the ROMs anyway! You can hardly call yourself a real fan!"

I THINK IT STINKS!
SuperMonsterZero wrote:Mire Goji. That must be the Godzilla from the Italian Dogora poster.

ImageImageImage
"Follow the light. The light is your guide."
"Cherenkov light?"

ก็อตซิลลา
哥吉拉

Follow me on the tumblebox

Rodan
Futurian

Postby Rodan » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Space Hunter M wrote:Hey check this out:
http://godzillavsgigan.ytmnd.com/

I'm amazed that "He was a thick as two short planks" never made it into a King Geedorah track. There's some rhythm in that delivery.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:10 pm

Rodan wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:Hey check this out:
http://godzillavsgigan.ytmnd.com/

I'm amazed that "He was a thick as two short planks" never made it into a King Geedorah track. There's some rhythm in that delivery.

Agreed. That would have fit perfectly.

And now I want to rush home and either listen to Take Me to Your Leader or watch the dub of Godzilla vs. Gigan.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dannybeane
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Dannybeane » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:55 pm

People who don't like this film are probably awful to be around.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GodzillaFanatic2001 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:08 pm

I was reading about on OriginalTrilogy, and someone (SpacehunterM) mentions that the Sony DVD of Gigan "is also a complete synchronization disaster." I personally never noticed any errors, so I'm curious, what does he mean by that? Can someone explain?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.

As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

GalacticPetey wrote:
eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:Great for any afternoon. Or late night movie.

But not the morning. No, no... Never the morning.
This movie's quality improves by 50% when viewed past noon.

darthzilla99
Interpol Agent

Postby darthzilla99 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:48 pm

Goji wrote:The scenes lifted from Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster are what take me out of the movie the most, but I still adore this film, so it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. To me, anyway. I should probably note that as a kid, those scenes didn't bother me, even though I could tell they were from GTTHM, so like ebaker pointed out, it works for it's intended age group. It's probably Nakano's 'grossest' use of stock footage in any of the Godzilla films he worked on, but it doesn't hamper my enjoyment of the overall experience.

Nakano would agree with you. In an interview with Steve Ryfle in the Japan's Favorite Monstar book, Nakano talks about how much he hated being forced to use stock footage and that he would try his best to make them 'new' scenes by flipping the footage, changing the tint to match it to night time as much as possible, ect... but he admitted theres only so much you can do.

Nakano was one of the humblest SPX directors Toho ever had. My only criticism of him was why he used Sinking of Japan stock footage explosions in Return of Godzilla when he had a huge budget for that movie (the chain reaction explosion of the cars is the scene mentioned in this case).
"Your not coming off as cocky. You come off as an idiot" by SBK.

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:27 am

That stock footage was from Prophecies of Nostradamus, not Sinking of Japan, but I'll assume that was just a brain fart on your part. :)

I'm guessing that since that film had already been on a self imposed ban for the past 4 years, and was such a great sequence (and he didn't want it to be lost to the ages), that he choose to reuse it, but that's just speculation on my part. And here we are, 40 years later, and Toho still hasn't loosened up on the issue..but that's a discussion for another topic.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:23 pm

It's a pity Toho was cutting the budgets for the G films, but they did a good job with they had. G vs Gigan is one of the more entertaining of the later Showa films.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:42 pm

edgaguirus wrote:G vs Gigan is one of the more entertaining of the later Showa films things in the history of the known Universe.

Just had to make a slight adjustment there.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Kwaidan

Postby edgaguirus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:06 pm

I fully agree with you.

Lord Krit
Yojimbo

Postby Lord Krit » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Godzilla vs. Gigan is one of my favorites Showa films, along GvM and Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:06 pm

Rewatched this with a friend not too long ago, we both forgot somethings.

-I forgot how many Maser Cannons there was in this flick, King Ghidrah destroys like 10 or 11 of the things.

-He forgot how dark this film was. Keep in mind we had rewatched Godzilla vs Megalon before this so he forgot that it wasn't campy like Megalon and more oppressive.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:12 pm

If only Toho had given this film the budget it deserved. If they had a real budget like the early 60s films this would've been even more fantastic

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:14 pm

Godzillian wrote:If only Toho had given this film the budget it deserved. If they had a real budget like the early 60s films this would've been even more fantastic

The fact we can see the potential of the film despite everything holding it back speaks volumes about the crew working on it and their talent.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:20 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about with this unrealized potential business. The movie is goddamn fantastic and special and wonderful just the way it is, like a warm shower on frosty day.

And, yes, it is a movie I first saw when I was about five years old, and I can't really divorce it from that context...

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:31 pm

Have I mentioned how much I love this movie's atmosphere? Unlike most of the alien invasion movies in the Godzilla franchise, this and TOMG actually feel like the world is at stake if Godzilla fails to repel the invasion.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:42 pm

In a way, the bleakness of the tone, the sense of paranoia and oppression, and the way that the invaders' plot specifically centers around marketing to children all give it a sensibility similar to Halloween III.

Return to “Showa Series (1930's-1970's)”